Western University of Health Sciences

Updated May 14, 2014
3.7

Western University of Health Sciences President Philip Pumerantz
Philip Pumerantz

My time at Western University was very knowledgeable and enjoyable because of the great environment and peers.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Pomona, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Pomona, CA

I worked at Western University of Health Sciences as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Good balance. Flexible hours. Allowed me to learn on the go.

Cons

No cons come to mind

I am employed by WesternU as a work-study student.

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Pomona, CA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Pomona, CA

I have been working at Western University of Health Sciences part-time for more than a year

Pros

The pros of being employed by WesternU: small, personal campus with ample opportunity to get to know faculty; a lot of interesting research projects with which one can get involved.

Cons

The cons of being employed by WesternU: lack of networking/socializing between departments; lack of organization in newer programs.

More communication between management and employees.

Great benefits and overall atmosphere but ineffective leadership at the top

I have been working at Western University of Health Sciences full-time

Pros

Good benefits and starting pay, general comradery between faculty and staff, opportunity for learning new skill sets in collaborative efforts.

Cons

Lack of accountability in faculty and staff, poor job descriptions and structure, difficulty in job advancement, favoritism and politics (but what job doesn't have at least a bit of these element).

Any business runs more smoothly with more effective leadership. Lack of accountabilty trickles from the very top to the bottom, and makes the University as a whole less efficient. The students pay good money for us to do a better job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An up and coming scientific community that is held back by bureaucracy.

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  Pomona, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Pomona, CA

I worked at Western University of Health Sciences part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people in the scientific field willing and wanting to conduct novel research.

Cons

Little to no communication between departments hinders progress and work flow.
    Bias towards the medical college in terms of funds and lab space.

As a researcher for one of the colleges here I have seen how inefficient many things are here, however they are easily fixed by simply streamlining the plethora of administrative processes that usually end up in a dead end.

Researcher at WesternU

Current Employee - Research Fellow  in  Pomona, CA
    Current Employee - Research Fellow in Pomona, CA

I have been working at Western University of Health Sciences full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good working relationship. Staff and faculty are nice. Schools of different health profession are there. Can easily build up network.

Cons

Geographical location. Commute is a nightmare. Office room are small and need more expansion. Security at night is an issue here.

Two sides of a bouncing coin

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pomona, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA

I worked at Western University of Health Sciences full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

WUHS has a good benefits program and like most schools, good PTO. In fact, they let you accumulate it pretty quickly. President Pumerantz - now mostly in name only unfortunately - genuinely cares about the employees and students. There are some very nice people working there.

Cons

There are also some very incompetent, and downright nasty people working there too. I would probably still be there, but out of the entire 400-person faculty, I had three who for whatever reasons didn't like or believe in me as an employee. Problem was, those three were in the positions of power in the hierarchy, and Dr. Pumerantz was in no condition to take command anymore.

In talking to other employees, most of us sense a slow decline is going on. Too many jerks being hired with too much power. The Provost and President need to take charge again, get HR to vett the new hires better to make sure they fit with the WUHS culture, because the upper management is rapidly forgetting about the humanistic mission of the school.

Love the job, management is not doing what they should be doing, let people work

Current Employee - Research Technician  in  Pomona, CA
    Current Employee - Research Technician in Pomona, CA

I have been working at Western University of Health Sciences full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Love the job, research allows me to do something different, new things, new techniques and equipment, the people that work here are great, benefits are also good. People that do research understand the technicians

Cons

micromanage, no respect, make your life difficult, not willing to go the extra mile because of management

do not micromanage. trust your workers, respect, it's not a sweat-shop

Great experience where I was exposed to a lot of different opportunities.

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Pomona, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Pomona, CA

I worked at Western University of Health Sciences part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pros include the proximity of the University to my home. I also like the small family feel of all the university faculty and staff.

Cons

Cons include that you have to be excited to work on the specific job which the PI is involved in. If you do not find interest in the research then you might not enjoy your time.

a great place for growth potential and new opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pomona, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pomona, CA

I have been working at Western University of Health Sciences

Pros

Friendly, supportive atmosphere
    New positions posted to current employees before the public
    Focus and emphasis on caring in the community
    Growth potential and advancement opportunities
    Annual cost of living raises
    Successful and safe place to work in this current economy

Cons

Some managers, depending on department, are not staff friendly (though most of them are)
    Some departments and job positions may receive slightly better pay at other companies

Annual training or seminars for management positions on management skills

Good place for professional students to get degrees but not for employees and researchers who want to grow in career

I worked at Western University of Health Sciences

Pros

Nice compensation, benefits, weather, proximity to airports, schools for children.

Cons

Small size community, LA traffic sucks, Not satisfactory work-life balance. Not safe place to stay.

Focus on the career development programs and entertainment facilities for employees and students, conduct more frequent reviews of employee performance and graduate programs for students. Increase campus security.

Worked for Western University of Health Sciences? Contribute to the Community!