Western Washington University

Bruce Shepard

29 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Growing Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bellingham, WA

ProsWorking at WWU allowed me to interact with students and faculty daily. There were always opportunities to grow in my field and professors that supported me. Super flexible.

ConsSome of the faculty were much less willing to work with undergraduate students. Some of the students who would come for help were not very pleasant but that will happen anywhere you are engaging customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for a great two years.

best people to work with

AS Communications Assistant (Former Employee) Bellingham, WA

Prosgreat team work, culture, and encouraged to grow both professionally and personally.

Constoo many bureaucratic procedures

Advice to Senior Managementgive the students more freedom to change policies or communicate bureaucratic procedures

Rec Center Employee

Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) Bellingham, WA

ProsFlexibility towards a students schedule and needs, positive reinforcement, an educational work environment that's inclusive instead of exclusive

ConsLack of communication between faculty members/departments

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication and mutual promotion of events and activities between different sports/activities/departments/office/students/university at large would greatly increase member participation and increase numbers of incoming users at the Rec Center.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Faculty Assistant

Faculty Assistant (Former Employee) Bellingham, WA

ProsFlexible hours, low stress, friendly faculty. Great opportunity for extra practice and a good way to gain exposure to experiences you normally wouldn't have access to.

ConsThere's more work to be done during the times your own class coursework intensifies. Few if any opportunities offered to move around.

Great student jobs available

Research Assistant - Software Services (Current Employee) Bellingham, WA

Pros- Easy to find a job if you're a student
    - Flexible schedules at most jobs

Cons- The University has recently put a pay freeze on all student jobs, effectively halting all wage increases for student employees

Fitness Attendant

Fitness Attendant (Current Employee) Bellingham, WA

ProsGreat supervisors who will guide you and help you when you have any questions. Working at the Wade King Student Recreation Center is a fun, straight-forward job.

ConsCan get boring. Not to challenging. Don't let this scare you off though, it's a perfect job for an entry-level student who wants fitness or aquatic experience on their resume.

Good Job and Good Team

Desk Attendant (Former Employee) Bellingham, WA

ProsWorked with School Schedule
    Good way to meet peers

ConsNot very many hours available

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow Desk Attendants to do more in the community

Western is a Great Place to Work

Program Assistant (Current Employee) Bellingham, WA

ProsWWU is one of the best employers in Bellingham. Compensation is (so I hear) low relative to other universities, but for Bellingham, it's very good. For benefited employees, the benefits are great, especially if your position is exempt. Staff in many cases have it better than faculty when it comes to overall compensation (other than tenured faculty of course). Work-life balance is understood, so it's a great workplace for someone with a family.

ConsThe normal schedule is 8AM to 5PM. That can be difficult for people with young children in school; but with the right supervisor and the right kind of position, a different start time can often be negotiated. Many positions are part-time and have no benefits; but positions open up quite frequently and once you're "in" at Western, you're encouraged to apply for positions when they become available.

Advice to Senior ManagementProfessional development is very important for all levels of staff, especially for retention; learning should be encouraged beyond offering support for taking courses at Western. Keep seeking to forge ties with the community around you, in formal and informal ways.

Met my expectations but wasn't impressed.

Business Calculus Study Group Facilitator (Former Employee) Bellingham, WA

Prosbeautiful campus, a lot of freedom in how we structured our sessions.

Consmany students don't care, it's just a class they have to pass.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more structure.

Lots of Responsibility

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) Bellingham, WA

ProsGreat pay and I was generally left alone when it came to decision making.

ConsLack of communication from upper management.

Worked for Western Washington University? Contribute to the Community!