Western Washington University

Updated February 23, 2015
4.1

Western Washington University President Bruce Shepard
Bruce Shepard

Pros
  • It is a great place to work, and a great place to live because it is located in one the most beautiful parts of the country (in 3 reviews)

• Work Environment, and impact on the world is wonderful (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay compared to similarly sized universities (in 2 reviews)

• Did not receive very many hours (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Positive connections for a lifetime.

I worked at Western Washington University (less than a year)

Pros

The people in Bellingham are some of the nicest you will ever meet, and the people who work at the university are no different. Everyone is excited to be at work every day.

Cons

Parking on campus can be difficult.

Grad Student Employee

I worked at Western Washington University

Pros

It was great to have a job that understood the importance of education and the hours were very flexible. It was really fun to sit in on classes with the professor I was helping. I learned a lot more about the subject than I would have if I had taken the course as a student.

Cons

Some weeks there wasn't much to do and other weeks there was A LOT to get done. Unfortunately, the busiest times were when my own projects picked up.

Great Place

I have been working at Western Washington University

Pros

Environment is very friendly and progressive. Staff/faculty and student employees are all great people who want to see the best for the university and the people attending.

Cons

Just as any place of higher education, there can be systematic problems. A lot of departments are silo-ed off without much of consistency, communication, or collaboration between other departments.

(Restek)Fun coworkers and challenging work but less than optimal pay.

Current Employee - Restek Staff in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Restek Staff in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at Western Washington University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a student employee you get to work with lots of your peers who have similar interests.
    Through various projects there is as much room for personal growth as you want to put in.
    The school/work balance is also really good, because you are a student first before you are an employee. Your schedule will revolve around when you are not in class and if school is getting rough you can just talk to your boss and simply work less.

Cons

The pay is really sub-optimal for the work that you do. Just slightly over min.
    There are no real benifits for student employees(no free food, personal computers, etc.).

great experience as a student employee

I worked at Western Washington University

Pros

fun atmosphere, training available, easy to get time off

Cons

hard to implement changes, students managing other students gets complicated

Great

I have been working at Western Washington University

Pros

Being a part of campus

Cons

Poor wages but the unions help out with that

Very nice and warm workplace

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at Western Washington University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a TA at Western, you have lots of chances to communicate with different people. You will have connections with professors and students. You can use your knowledge and experience to help other people, which could be a very acommplishment for you when you see others' success. You can enroll health insurance with Western if you want to. Professors (your supervisors) and coworkers (your classmate, sometimes) are the ones that you are very familiar with, it is very comfortable to work as a TA.

Cons

Some of the classes that you assist might take more time to handle, such as grading, preparation, or office hours.

Nothing really. You can choose which class and which lab sections you want to assist. It works well with your own school schedule. Just need to take extra time on grading and preparation.

A job you can't beat

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Western Washington University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere, the people, the culture, and the experience were all unforgettable. I was able to really delve into the Western culture and really get an understanding of the people and students I was working with. Even in such a professional environment, I was able to use my creativity in order to find better solutions for organization, and keep the office in good spirits. The people within my office, including my boss, helped to work with my schedule to provide maximum hours while not overwhelming me.

Cons

On some occasions I had to deal with difficult students who were always trying to find loop-holes around our protocol. It was extremely frustrating to deal with those individuals and others who felt they were in a position of authority.

Keep creating that wonderful environment that people enjoy so much while working at Western Washington University.

Interacted with students looking for advice in courses, applications, and career paths.

Former Intern - Peer Advisor in Bellingham, WA
    Former Intern - Peer Advisor in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Western Washington University as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, help students make sound decisions

Cons

No traffic during week prior to finals

Be more involved wit student advisors.

Great people to work with, very flexible.

Current Employee - Student Employee in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Student Employee in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at Western Washington University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible with work schedule around class schedule. You get to speak with your peers and help them out. Sometimes you get to do homework while you work.

Cons

The work can get monotonous.

Please add 1 sick day a school year to student employees