Western Wats

Profile Unclaimed

Western Wats Reviews

2.8

David Haynes

good work life balance no growth

Former Employee - Software Developer in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Orem, UT

I worked at Western Wats full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good work life balance, nice office

Cons

expect no growth, poor salaries

Caller

Former Employee - Caller in Rexburg, ID
    Former Employee - Caller in Rexburg, ID

I worked at Western Wats part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Rexburg, Idaho location- Flexible scheduling, wow stress, works well for college students. Easy to get hired. They hire almost anyone who comes in.

Cons

You have to spend hours getting hung up on everyday. Some people are extremely rude, to the point of harassment.

Utah culture and lazy execs made things

I worked at Western Wats part-time (more than a year)

Pros

They had cool work parties, and sometimes took us golfing. Gave out lots of free stuff at said parties.

Cons

The execs seemed to play a lot. And at the end of the day they'd come down hard on the little guys doing all the work.

At least pretend that you work. An recognize the little guys for the work they do.

Western Wats/Opinionology is poor place to work.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Rexburg, ID
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Rexburg, ID

I worked at Western Wats full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People were fun to work with

Cons

Raises non-existent. No chance for advancement. No benefits of any kind. Massive lay-offs with little to no warning.

Treat your employees as valuable members of the team rather than expendable commodities.

Work sucks but the pay and atmosphere would not bad.

Former Employee - Interviewer in Wayne, NE
    Former Employee - Interviewer in Wayne, NE

I worked at Western Wats part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was nice to get a paycheck each week. TGIF indeed when it was the beginning of the weekend and pay day. Your pay depends the number of surveys you complete and the time it takes to finish them. My supervisors were professional but very relaxed and flexible. I've screwed up a few times and they let it slide. That can't be emphasized enough, the work environment is the epitome of business casual.

I have social anxiety and it get pronounced over the phone where you cannot hear a person as well. Though after say the first month, I still felt nervous but it wasn't as paralyzing as before and you'll feel more confident as you memorize your surveys.

The schedule is very flexible, it was easy to go to school and pay rent at the same time. You can easily reschedule as well, provided its done in advance.

Cons

Your experience entirely depends on what kind of survey you are doing. The short and easy ones that take less than three minutes or the long and tedious one that take up to 45 minutes. The reality is almost ALL surveys are boring, just some are more than others. You will be bored and frustrated if you don't get a complete in two hours. There was a few times where I had zero completes in the entire six hour shift.

Some people can handle it better than others, I am not surprised the turn over rate is high. I'm surprised I managed a whole year and I'm a naturally restless person.

Sometimes you get sent home early, its a pleasant change once in a while but there are times you get sent home early day after day, for not completing enough surveys in time (which isn't always in your control) or just some silly reason. Those phases are infrequent but they do suck because money suddenly becomes tight, its almost like holding your breath.

Before I got laid off, I didn't receive a notice at all that the call center was closing down. I was fortunate to meet a supervisor in the store randomly. Maybe they didn't care because I've heard a rumor that we were the worst call center of them all. I don't know how true that is.

Overall I say this. You can't go wrong with this company, the work itself is boring as hell but almost everything else makes up for it.

Keep doing what you're doing. Except that if you're going to lay someone off, please let them know.

Satisfied

I have been working at Western Wats

Pros

Environment and location were nice. No micro managing. Relaxed working environment.

Cons

Lack of visibility and direction

Increase your pay of company champions

Good, but a disconnect between leadership and the rest

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT

I worked at Western Wats

Pros

Constant challenge - all of the employees encouraged to develop themselves and the business. Bonus structure promotes attaining and exceeding realistic goals.

Cons

Base pay sucks. Benefits are pitiful. Work expectation is off the hook. While management is off on a mountain bike ride, everyone else is slaving away

Try to be more inclusive. The senior folks form a boys club, and the rest of us are on the outside looking in.

Current Employee - Interviewer in Provo, UT
    Current Employee - Interviewer in Provo, UT

I have been working at Western Wats

Pros

They have a pretty Flexible Schedule that lets you work mostly when you want. The hours are pretty good as well.

Cons

There isn't always consistent work. Sometimes they send you home early because there isn't a lot of work which is frustrating.

Make the work more consistent and offer better and more competitive compensation. Take more time to train us, sometimes I was docked for things I didn't know about.

Don't Bite

I have been working at Western Wats

Pros

Easy job that anyone can learn

Cons

They hire anybody who is willing to work for cheap and teach them how to do it. Those people get frustrated, quit, and then you have to work with new people that don't know the job until they learn it. So many mistakes are repeated over and over and over again.

Pay people better and try to hold them longer so they can get good at the job. Be realistic about work-life balance. Built a culture of figuring out how to solve the problem, not finger pointing.

Hard work and long hours with little reward

I worked at Western Wats

Pros

Most of the people that work there are friendly.
    You are able to work fairly autonomously.
    Nice office location. It's right next to the mountains.

Cons

Poor pay and benefits
    No training. You are thrown into the deep end and expected to swim.
    Alpha male syndrome amongst Senior Management.
    You can't leave your work at the office. You work from home quite frequently as well. Clients can contact you 24/7, and they will.

Your employees are stakeholders in the company as well. If you treat them as such, you will have lower turnover.