Western Wats

Updated Feb 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

David Haynes

good work life balance no growth

Software Developer (Former Employee) Orem, UT

Prosgood work life balance, nice office

Consexpect no growth, poor salaries

Utah culture and lazy execs made things

Account Manager (Former Employee) Orem, UT

ProsThey had cool work parties, and sometimes took us golfing. Gave out lots of free stuff at said parties.

ConsThe execs seemed to play a lot. And at the end of the day they'd come down hard on the little guys doing all the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt least pretend that you work. An recognize the little guys for the work they do.

Western Wats/Opinionology is poor place to work.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Rexburg, ID

ProsPeople were fun to work with

ConsRaises non-existent. No chance for advancement. No benefits of any kind. Massive lay-offs with little to no warning.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees as valuable members of the team rather than expendable commodities.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work sucks but the pay and atmosphere would not bad.

Interviewer (Former Employee) Wayne, NE

ProsIt was nice to get a paycheck each week. TGIF indeed when it was the beginning of the weekend and pay day. Your pay depends the number of surveys you complete and the time it takes to finish them. My supervisors were professional but very relaxed and flexible. I've screwed up a few times and they let it slide. That can't be emphasized enough, the work environment is the epitome of business casual.

I have social anxiety and it get pronounced over the phone where you cannot hear a person as well. Though after say the first month, I still felt nervous but it wasn't as paralyzing as before and you'll feel more confident as you memorize your surveys.

The schedule is very flexible, it was easy to go to school and pay rent at the same time. You can easily reschedule as well, provided its done in advance.

ConsYour experience entirely depends on what kind of survey you are doing. The short and easy ones that take less than three minutes or the long and tedious one that take up to 45 minutes. The reality is almost ALL surveys are boring, just some are more than others. You will be bored and frustrated if you don't get a complete in two hours. There was a few times where I had zero completes in the entire six hour shift.

Some people can handle it better than others, I am not surprised the turn over rate is high. I'm surprised I managed a whole year and I'm a naturally restless person.

Sometimes you get sent home early, its a pleasant change once in a while but there are times you get sent home early day after day, for not completing enough surveys in time (which isn't always in your control) or just some silly reason. Those phases are infrequent but they do suck because money suddenly becomes tight, its almost like holding your breath.

Before I got laid off, I didn't receive a notice at all that the call center was closing down. I was fortunate to meet a supervisor in the store randomly. Maybe they didn't care because I've heard a rumor that we were the worst call center of them all. I don't know how true that is.

Overall I say this. You can't go wrong with this company, the work itself is boring as hell but almost everything else makes up for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. Except that if you're going to lay someone off, please let them know.

Satisfied

Account Manager (Current Employee) Orem, UT

ProsEnvironment and location were nice. No micro managing. Relaxed working environment.

ConsLack of visibility and direction

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease your pay of company champions

Good, but a disconnect between leadership and the rest

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Orem, UT

ProsConstant challenge - all of the employees encouraged to develop themselves and the business. Bonus structure promotes attaining and exceeding realistic goals.

ConsBase pay sucks. Benefits are pitiful. Work expectation is off the hook. While management is off on a mountain bike ride, everyone else is slaving away

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be more inclusive. The senior folks form a boys club, and the rest of us are on the outside looking in.

Interviewer (Current Employee) Provo, UT

ProsThey have a pretty Flexible Schedule that lets you work mostly when you want. The hours are pretty good as well.

ConsThere isn't always consistent work. Sometimes they send you home early because there isn't a lot of work which is frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the work more consistent and offer better and more competitive compensation. Take more time to train us, sometimes I was docked for things I didn't know about.

Don't Bite

Account Manager (Current Employee) Orem, UT

ProsEasy job that anyone can learn

ConsThey hire anybody who is willing to work for cheap and teach them how to do it. Those people get frustrated, quit, and then you have to work with new people that don't know the job until they learn it. So many mistakes are repeated over and over and over again.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay people better and try to hold them longer so they can get good at the job. Be realistic about work-life balance. Built a culture of figuring out how to solve the problem, not finger pointing.

Hard work and long hours with little reward

Account Manager (Former Employee) Orem, UT

ProsMost of the people that work there are friendly.
    You are able to work fairly autonomously.
    Nice office location. It's right next to the mountains.

ConsPoor pay and benefits
    No training. You are thrown into the deep end and expected to swim.
    Alpha male syndrome amongst Senior Management.
    You can't leave your work at the office. You work from home quite frequently as well. Clients can contact you 24/7, and they will.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are stakeholders in the company as well. If you treat them as such, you will have lower turnover.

Decent Entry Level Position

ProsGreat people
    Pay is alright for someone with no experience
    Great environment to learn many skills and network
    Very close if you live in Utah Valley
    Casual environment, easy to get along with co-workers

ConsCan be long hours if you're not extremely efficient at your job
    Poor benefits - no 401k or type of retirement. You receive a high deductible health plan with an HSA Western Wats pays into.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to nurture Account Managers to build on their strengths. My directors have done this and I have many additional skills to show for it. Create a better training environment. Trial by fire is not the best way to introduce a new employee. Create a better path for advancement. If you want people to stay with the company, give them goals to shoot for.

Worked for Western Wats? Contribute to the Community!