Western & Southern Financial

Be The First To
Add Photos

Western & Southern Financial Chairman, President, and CEO John F. Barrett

John F. Barrett

At first it was fine but sales support dwindled over time.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Western & Southern Financial full-time for less than a year

ProsGood training and better products than most. Good reputation when you have to sell their products. fair pay at first.

ConsLeads dried up quickly and soon enough you are compelled to sell to friends and family. Managerial support also waned quickly as they move on to new agents.

Advice to Senior ManagementSalespeople should not have to scramble so for leads. managers need to do much more to support sales staff in the field. Fewer promises about the plethora of good leads available.

Large company with all the rules and regulations

I worked at Western & Southern Financial full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat coworkers who are always eager to help.

ConsNot employee friendly, focus too much on cost cutting rather than the big picture, technology is way behind the curve. So much movement between departments that you could never find out who was in a department.

Very limited growth opportunity, company out of touch.

Financial Representative (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH

I worked at Western & Southern Financial full-time for more than a year

ProsBeginning training was okay. If you're new to the industry, this isn't a bad spot to start. Be ready to only sell life insurance though.

ConsThere was a parade of less than qualified sales managers and district managers. Turnover in the supervisory roles was startling. This filtered down to the representatives as well. No leadership, bad results. I lasted a year and am not sure how.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on people with more money. Newsflash- no one outside Cincy knows who you are unless they are over 80. Your best clients are dying at an alarming rate. Focus on winning with successful young families. Your product line is okay, it's just horribly mis-marketed.

BLINDED BY THEIR MONEY...

I worked at Western & Southern Financial

ProsSuper strong financially from past investment experience.

ConsGood-ole boy system where people are promoted by being one of the fair-haired people, or sucking up enough. Recent VP change on the 4th floor was needed for years. And now that it has happened, it was spun as his idea instead of the truth; that is, he was nothing but a rogue and it finally caught up with him and forced him out of the position

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being blinded by the money you have a look at the fundamental problems in your organization...

Culture sucks!!!

Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Western & Southern Financial full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFree lunch and breakfast (although I could take it or leave it), subsidized parking

Consantiquated systems, no work/life balance (very inflexible), mgmt will not listen to opinions of associates (or at least take them seriously)

Advice to Senior ManagementYou seriously need to value your employees more on a day-to-day basis, not just once or twice a year with special events. And due away with the professional dress code, it does nothing but bring morale way down.

Terrible culture, wierdos

I have been working at Western & Southern Financial

Prosfree lunch if you can stomach it, free parking downtown

ConsThis company is comprised mostly of Northern Kentucky and West-side Cincinnati small-town simpletons that are ignorant and silly. If you are quiet, bookish, would rather spend your weekend at a library reading a book, then this is the company for you. It's as if everyone here is the maturity level of a child but the body of a 125 year old. It is pretty shocking that this is a Fortune 500 company because of the culture of this place.

Advice to Senior Managementget some churn in upper management so that there is motivation for other employees. Get some cool young people.

Very good experience

I worked at Western & Southern Financial full-time for more than a year

Prosgood training, office benefits, lunch on site, vacation

ConsThough not my situation, company not always understanding of family emergencies. "unscheduled" days off due to illness of self or children could be an issue if it happens too frequently.

Good company to work for!

Insurance Agent (Current Employee)
Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at Western & Southern Financial full-time for less than a year

Prosthey have good benefits to choose from

Consnot so good training programs

Advice to Senior Managementpair up new agents with experienced ones and continue guarantee pay longer

You can do better...turn around and run out the door. Take those screening questions as a preview of what is to be.

Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Western & Southern Financial full-time

ProsRoom for advancement if you fit the stereotypical mold of the W&S drone, kiss up to senior management and work 50 hours a week IN THE OFFICE! There is not working from home unless you work on the weekend from home (which is expected in some areas). The generous vacation time (three weeks from day one) will only make up for the standard 45 hour plus work week and you won't get another week until you spend 10 years with the company.

ConsCulture is so uptight and backwards that I was shocked most of the time by comments or practices that happened on a regular basis. Not a place for anyone who is not a mindless drone. If you have any opinions or mind of your own, don't voice them or face being told "we don't do that here or believe that here at W&S." If you are a woman, be meek and quiet or risk being considered brash or out spoken. Very much an old school boys club. The entire company is backwards and lost in the dark ages from a people management standpoint. You are told, " We have always done things this way." Often business is completely stalled due to the fact that management cannot make a decision or move with any sort of haste to react to upcoming changes. Trust me, run away, don't accept that offer. You will regret every moment that you waste with this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people and learn to become more adaptable to change that is happening all around you. Quit sticking your head in the sand and learn to innovate rather than just react. Completely revamp your management strategy and learn to value new input or ideas rather than stifle them and continue with the same old way of operating. Your turnover is high for a reason and will continue to remain high unless you can learn attract and retain talent (currently you cannot due to your "unique" culture).

Tough to sell based on high cost

Insurance Agent (Current Employee)
Willoughby, OH

ProsGood base salary
Lots of support
Flexible hours

Conscommission only after one year

Worked for Western & Southern Financial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Western & Southern Financial reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Western & Southern Financial CEO John F. Barrett. All 44 reviews posted anonymously by Western & Southern Financial employees.