Western and Southern Life Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Western and Southern Life Chairman, President, and CEO John F. Barrett
John F. Barrett

Pros
  • The company has a good training program (in 12 reviews)

• Very good training program for new agent (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Book of business consists mostly of older, poor people who cannot afford more insurance (in 11 reviews)

• They constantly struggle to make sales and have an extremely high turnover in the first 3-6 months (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

GREAT COMPANY

Pros

Great company to work for with great compensation and benefit package. Straight commission after 8 weeks, so you get out of it what you put into it.

Cons

1. To many Sales Managers and Trainers that are doing the training not qualified. The trainers were not successful in the field so they go to Home Office to train others on how to do it.....not good. 2. Some Home Office personnel need to realize that without the Financial Representatives doing what they do there would be no need for their job.

Advice to Management

1. Set up a Mentorship Program using your more successful Financial Representatives as Mentors 2. Remove unqualified Sales Managers that should not be Sales Managers and put more qualified individuals in that position. 3. Instill a culture at the Home Office that they are there to support the Field.

2. Financial Representative

Former Employee - Financial Representative in Burlington, NC
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Burlington, NC

I worked at Western and Southern Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a great crew of people to work for.

Cons

You had to make a quota of sales.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

3. Get Real

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Western and Southern Life full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay. Great trips. Unlimited upside. There are so many baby boomers retiring that need help figuring it all out. We are in a great position with unlimited resources to help people. John Barrett has done an amazing job of growing this company to support his agency to be successful in any insurance activity. There is a lot of support for education and advancement. If you look at the big picture, financially, there is no better field to be in right now. Western and Southern is a strong, successful and diversified company and it is in a great position to help your career if you are willing to work for it. The sky is the limit. I used to be a waitress!!! Now I help families protect what is most important to them and safely map out a financial strategy for their future. What better job could you have??? I wake up excited to start my day and go to bed fulfilled. This job can be anything you want to make it.

Cons

Challenging career in general. Life is changing faster than technology. Can not be lazy. You must keep learning if you want to benefit your clients.

Advice to Management

Listen to the field and be more proactive to their suggestions. We can never hold for 'business as usual' because it will never be the usual again. The world has changed.

Very rewarding, unbelievable compensation if you want to put the work in

Current Employee - Staff Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Staff Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Western and Southern Life full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Training and development superior to all other competitors. Great culture in the office to work in. No deductions for the brick and mortar or brochures. Great products to sell and the term insurance price is hard to beat.

Cons

Not a lot of motivation from upper management. Computers and software need updated badly. No support from home office on getting leads. Home office employees and underwriting feel superior to the agents in the field.

Advice to Management

Remind home office employees that if it wasn't for the agency in the field they would not have a job

6. Sales Rep

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dexter, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Dexter, MO

I worked at Western and Southern Life (More than a year)

Pros

Had plenty of family time

Cons

Not making enough money to support family.

Advice to Management

Don't babysit employees. Be a leader to them and help them with their career. To many bosses don't care about their employees and more concerned about themselves.

7. Overall good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Independence, KY

I have been working at Western and Southern Life full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty good starting pay, lots of room for advancement, continuing education courses, free breakfast and lunch.

Cons

Very strict dress code - women must wear hose, no open toe shoes, men must wear ties. Kind of feels like you're working in the 50' - 60's generation. Building is clean but needs to be updated.

Advice to Management

Please stop with the favoritism and acknowledge the hard working employees more often.

8. sales representative

Pros

Enjoyed helping people in all walks of life with their financial needs

Cons

Salary does not reflect the amount of work incurred.

9. Sales Rep

Former Employee - Registered Representative in Independence, OH
    Former Employee - Registered Representative in Independence, OH

I worked at Western and Southern Life full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place. To get fast experience.

Cons

Death by micro management.

Advice to Management

You’re a training camp for your competition!

10. life insurance sales

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Western and Southern Life (Less than a year)

Pros

they pay a good commission

Cons

the products are not very competitve or worth selling

Advice to Management

price products much better.

11. Don't waste your time or money!

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Western and Southern Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

2 months of a litte pay while looking for a real job

Cons

Too many to list but here's few. First, Company has no marketing or advertising strategy so it's unknown to area's outside of Cincinnati. Second, Management wants to know what you are doing every second of the day. Micro Management is an understatement. Third, After the second month you get little money and still expected to procure 12 families a week to let you into their homes and sell them life insurance from a Company they have never heard of. I could go on but I would be wasting more time on a Company that has taken enough from me. I have 20 years experience in the business and owned my own Insurance Agency, only went with this company to supplement income after selling my p&c business. Huge mistake, horrible company

Advice to Management

Dress code is way too stringent, loosen up. Expectations are way to high and causes more stress than needed. Go with a web based program for Agents to write online, INB is horrible. Regarding that laptop/notebook, the $80 the Company takes from Agent every month for perpetuity is unreasonable. After a year I could have paid for 2 of those, the Company has taken enough from me.

RSS Feed </> Embed