Western and Southern Life

Updated September 3, 2014
2.8

Western and Southern Life Chairman, President, and CEO John F. Barrett
John F. Barrett

Pros
  • The company has a good training program (in 12 reviews)

• Good pre-hiring program, and good training for new reps if the management will use it (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't get a book of business you will be jealous of the ones who have them (in 10 reviews)

• 2 This company has a very high turnover rate (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Financial Rep

Former Employee - Financial Representative  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Western and Southern Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

Get a salary for the first 7 weeks. Very friendly office culture and good people to work with. Co-workers and other financial representatives are very helpful when starting out in the business.

Cons

management seems to be constantly changing. It seems like employee turnover is common in the office. Had very little guidance in my first couple weeks and had to rely on my personal market for most of my appointments.

An opportunity to succeed with limitless oportunities

I have been working at Western and Southern Life full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The ability to succeed is based on your drive and passion for helping others achieve their financial and insurance goals. Limitless income potential, reward travel, world class benefits and retirement package and great training. The company will show you a proven track to run on to reach your goals an achieve success. Also I have seen the company give opportunities for upward mobility to people with talent.

Cons

Could use some technology upgrades to support their systems.

Continue the branding image with Chris Collinsworth. We are starting to become better known due to the national media campaign.

Shopped around with other companies and they have the best overall career package.

Current Employee - Financial Representative  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Western and Southern Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

San Diego has been an exciting office to work in because they are growing so fast. I've only been here since December 2013 and already we are opening another office. I love the work-life balance, great training, managers are really supportive. Free laptop, mileage reimbursement, company provided E&O, desk, phone. Commission rates are pretty high too. They even pay for all my licensing fees. Love the new Chris Collinsworth branding, people are finally beginning to recognize who we are!

Cons

I wish there was more company provided leads. We have a couple sources but it would be nice to see more.

Continue the branding and invest more money into generating leads for the field offices!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't work there

Former Employee - Financial Representative  in  Saginaw, MI
    Former Employee - Financial Representative in Saginaw, MI

I worked at Western and Southern Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

First seven weeks paid training. Applications can be done on the computer.

Cons

Little training. Most people you meet have not heard of them. Takes a long time to get paid.

More support.

Waste of time

Former Employee - Sales Agent  in  Muncie, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Muncie, IN

I worked at Western and Southern Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible & benefits( if you can say that they are high) staff was mostly nice

Cons

High fees, slow to no underwriting hard to get through, lack of training and management, dirty pretend to care liars

Get some new management as worried about the teams success as they are their own job. Stop spreading the management so thin so they can actually train and develop the staff. Get the staff matured nobody takes most of them seriously and you disrespected them so they have no respect for you. Get the upper district management out there and helping. They are never around then when they are no work is actually being done but they have no problem criticizing people. Professionalism around there is a joke. I realize you have to recruit people but if they want to quit let them don't go out of your way strong arming them to stay and not do all that's required to keep them which is the basics your supposed to do anyway. Get it together.

Frustrating

Former Employee - Insurance Agent
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent

I worked at Western and Southern Life full-time

Pros

Old, established, financially stable company.

Cons

No marketing support. 125+ year old company and lots of people never heard of them. They finally started a little advertising on the Food Channel and other less popular TV programs. Agents are expected to pay all expenses - computer support, E & O insurance, gas, mileage, postage, etc, etc. Company finds all kinds of reasons to take back commissions from agents' checks. Hours and hours of repetitious meetings and reports. Be prepared for 9 am meetings, call sessions, and then late night appointments. Customers don't come to the office. You drive to their houses. Some offices are better than others. The last one I worked in was the most negative environment I have ever endured. The employee turnover was like a revolving door. And, the unskilled management was happy to take all the credit they could for anything the agents actually did.

Use marketing money to support your agents locally. Don't enhance the petty gossip and rivalry. Strive for a team effort. Listen to your employees. When they have a good idea, encourage and support them in their endeavor. When an employee is on sick leave, don't act like he no longer exists! An employee signed card or even a mention of his name would be good.

it was ok

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Western and Southern Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

free lunch at the corp office, great co-workers

Cons

old school style business, no personal growth, definite disconnect with management and teams.

disorganized going backwards company

Former Employee - Sales Agent  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Western and Southern Life full-time for less than a year

Pros

other agents were nice, cause they understood what a new agent was dealing with.

Cons

very stressful inconsiderate management. Too many negative things to even begin to say. if you are considering going there for employment I would suggest not to.

get a clue and go back to your old system where you had agents have regular clients that they got to know and cared about. now it's just about getting new clients signed up to make more profits. you guys are stupid.

Good entry level job.

Former Employee - Sales Agent  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Western and Southern Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

Six week stipend to start you off with working capital.

Cons

To much money spent on paper waste,meaningless promotion material. Dysfunctional implementation of Quantum Leap,but program helped with organizational skills and communication.

Pay your workers and help with their expenses related to production. 1099 or w2.

Misguided, dated and out of touched Senior Management

Former Employee - IPS  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - IPS in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Western and Southern Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay - if you work in the IPS office you can ask for between 37,000-45,000

Cons

Poor marketing, operating systems, dated ideology, out of touch CEO and Senior Management

Find a new job

Worked for Western and Southern Life? Contribute to the Community!