Western and Southern Life

Be The First To
Add Photos

Western and Southern Life Chairman, President, and CEO John F. Barrett

John F. Barrett

Pros
  • The company has a good training program(in 12 reviews)

• Good pre-hiring program, and good training for new reps if the management will use it(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't get a book of business you will be jealous of the ones who have them(in 10 reviews)

• 2 This company has a very high turnover rate(in 7 reviews)

it was ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

Prosfree lunch at the corp office, great co-workers

Consold school style business, no personal growth, definite disconnect with management and teams.

Good entry level job.

Sales Agent (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsSix week stipend to start you off with working capital.

ConsTo much money spent on paper waste,meaningless promotion material. Dysfunctional implementation of Quantum Leap,but program helped with organizational skills and communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your workers and help with their expenses related to production. 1099 or w2.

Good entry level job

Insurance Agent (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

Prossix weeks of steady pay

ConsResolution of office politics and culture.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent Place to work with great potential

Registered Representative (Current Employee)

ProsGreat training program. Great benefits (401k, pension, health ins.). Work life balance is great as you rarely work weekends if ever and schedules are very flexible.

ConsCommisions (although the commision schedule is great). If you are in a bad market, it can be very difficult to thrive.

Misguided, dated and out of touched Senior Management

IPS (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsPay - if you work in the IPS office you can ask for between 37,000-45,000

ConsPoor marketing, operating systems, dated ideology, out of touch CEO and Senior Management

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a new job

I have been with the company for many years and I am overall very happy working here.

Agency Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCompetetive Life Insurance products with great features to benefits, high commission scale, training salary in first 7 weeks, great benefits, matching 401k and pension, fun office environment, lucrative income and a solid company to back it all up.

ConsChanges in the model over past years have created some confusion for management.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the model on the same track for a few years, then make necessary changes. It's working well now!

Insurance agent

Life Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee) Richmond, IN

ProsThe company has a good training program. Plus the first year that you work you will be on a salary, that helps a lot when your learning.

ConsLong hours and many rejections.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp with the collections would be nice. Going around to pick up money is sometimes very hard.

Very happy to come here to work every day!

District Supervisor (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI have worked for Western & Southern for just over a year now. Joining this company is one of the best decisions I have ever made for myself! Pay and benefits are great and I love the people I work with. The company is changing for the better and I love being a part of that movement.

ConsIt's funny, one of the biggest challenges I have seen is one of the main things the company is changing and that is the separation of clerical and staff. Once everything is merged, it will flow even more smoothly than it already does!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep with the changes!

Company treats me well.

ProsThis company pays well and has good benefits. They share the wealth when we have a good year, like giving us extra in our 401(k). Corporate employees are competent and supportive. Willing to try new things, but slowly.

ConsConstant changes (flavor of the month). On the other hand, I would like to see some outdated aspects brought up to speed.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your eye on the future and promote from within.

Great opportunity for driven, motivated individuals

Registered Representative (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsWhile W&S is a large company, it has the feel of a small business. There are a lot of resources available to the field to the point they are almost overwhelming. They have high commission rates, excellent benefits, and lucrative bonus opportunities. We have a great local management team.

ConsCan sometimes be behind the curve, other than that you control your own destiny.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider investing more in client building (prospecting/marketing) support

Worked for Western and Southern Life? Contribute to the Community!