Westfield Insurance

Westfield Insurance Reviews

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015

James R. (Jim) Clay

Pros
  • Work/life balance for majority of employees (in 10 reviews)

• Work/life balance strongly supported along with good benefits and salary (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Good old boy culture that isn't about to change (in 4 reviews)

• Over the last 7 years the trend has changed and most management positions are filled from outside (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great organization but watch your individual manager.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westfield Center, OH

I have been working at Westfield Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very stable, long standing organization. Growing slowly but they recognize a good work-life balance. Overall the CEO and senior leadership "get it" but individual areas can be a challenge.

Cons

Watch the individual manager that you are working for. If you are being brought in from the outside, is it because no one wants to work for the "leader" of that area? That is what I saw from time to time.

If you have been there under 10 years, some will not even want to deal with a "newby".

Continue to clear out the older deadwood. Just because someone was good in one area doesn't mean they should be managing people in another.

just dont get it

I worked at Westfield Insurance

Pros

Company car, flexible work schedule, good benefits

Cons

excessive workloads, higher managers that are not experienced enough to handle complex claims

your managers should be your most experienced people or at least near the top, you can't supervise a file if you don't understand the issues nor the time it takes to outline all the issues you have to dummie down these files in order for your manager to understand which takes a considerable amount of time

Great company, especially if you work in IT

Current Employee - IT Department
    Current Employee - IT Department

I have been working at Westfield Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love the FlexTime option. As long as you work your 40 hours (if you are an hourly employee) they are flexible for dealing with things like doctors appointments, family emergencies, etc. When they say they promote a work-life balance they really mean it. Employees are given a lot of opportunity for training and certifications, with the leaders budgeting a certain amount for. I can only speak to the salary in IT, but I feel it is extremely fair and they do market re-evaluations to make sure it stays competitive.

Cons

Some of the departments are really mis-managed and it's apparent to those of us outside the departments. I'm not sure why leadership seems to be blind to the issues.

It should be a red flag when multiple people in one department are quitting in rapid succession.

Internship experience (software development)

I worked at Westfield Insurance

Pros

Nice people.
    Good treatment and mentor.
    Small development team

Cons

HR doesn't know how to handle foreign students. I wasn't requesting a visa and could continue working for 2 years after graduation. But their HR didn't want any potential liability and rejected me. (It could be that my understanding of some legal process is totally wrong.)

Amazing home office, but constant change

Former Employee - Supervisor in Westfield Center, OH
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Westfield Center, OH

I worked at Westfield Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus, with many perks (workout center, onsite cafeteria, flex time, profit sharing for some). Secure company with over 150 years of history. Many employees have over 30 years of longevity. Great opportunities for training and possible advancement. Internal job postings.

Cons

Very siloed departments. Middle management is constantly changing. Major department changes happen all the time. Upper level management is very disconnected. Changing departments is hard. Long-time employees don't realize how wonderful the benefits are.

Stop reorganizing and work with the teams you have. Bring the executives out of the executive wing.

Worst Employment Experience. Hostile, toxic, negative environment.

I worked at Westfield Insurance full-time

Pros

Pretty campus, on-campus gym, good cafeteria, not enough to make up for the cons.

Cons

Closed mind, power hungry, ego driven leadership. Very politically driven agenda. Leadership does not take accountability for poor decision making and lack of vision. Hostile and toxic work environment. No team collaboration encouraged- each department operates as their own which creates a very divided and independant environment. The "Westfield Way" is demonstrated through very entitled, ego and power driven decision making. Multiple layers of disfunction, it is truly a surprise that the company makes any profit. Lots of managers that move around a lot with very few workers to get the work done. Not rewarding or fulfilling in any way. Very flat organization leadership with lots of conflict. Creative thinking is not appreciated.

You have good people who like what they do and are willing to work hard, start listening to their solutions, admitting that you need to course correct and get out of their way so they can plan the work and work the plan. Actions speak louder than words, stop the lip service and take some action to correct the problems. Understand that what you want and what you need are totally different but if you would listen to the employees you would know that.

Great people

Former Employee - Software Developer in Westfield Center, OH
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Westfield Center, OH

I worked at Westfield Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent work/life balance. Good benefits. Fantastic people.

Cons

Management a little full of themselves. Stingy raises despite recent years of profits. Company culture keeps work process stuck in their ways.

Trust and enable your non-management workers more. Stop worrying about span of control. Break the silos.

Company only for the anointed

I worked at Westfield Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Somewhat flexible work arrangements and nice coworkers. Good fringe benefits dependent upon your position. Any position, other than a field-based position, is very restricted.

Cons

I worked here for 10 years in a service office. Extremely political environment. They advance people to management who have no experience and absolutely the wrong personalities for management. Corporate culture is that of "Yes sir, may I have another?". If you are at all the type to ask "why", even in a very professional manner, this is not the place for you! Any perception by management of dissension in the ranks will cause extreme discomfort. Extremely few, if any, advancement opportunities unless you are one of "the chosen". Very much a good, old boy network mentality. They have been promoting more women into management, most of whom give women managers an extremely poor name, but for female non-managers, it is a very difficult work environment! If you have the choice of working for an insurance company, I would strongly recommend another!

Take a lesson in humility and evaluate the skills and talents of people and where they would be best suited. Don't just talk about empowerment, actually do it. Don't require every decision to be made by committee months after the question was initially asked!

great amenities but ...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westfield Center, OH

I have been working at Westfield Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The campus is picturesque, great food and flexible schedules including working from home.

Cons

1. Everything becomes a last-minute fire due to a lack of process and clear role definition wheni t comes to decision making. Most decisions are by committee and inevitably at the eleventh hour. This creates tremendous stress on those who need to execute the plans.
    2. An ungodly amount of meetings for the sake of meeting. More time is spent in meetings than doing work. Many meetings are more development in nature, or change management, or leader assessment... when do we actally get the work done? Nights and weekends, that's when.
    3. Not everyone is compensated fairly. There is a $30k gap between myself and some coworkers despite similar experience.

It's not easy to saybwhat the solution is. There is definitely some dysfunction in certain pockets of the company. It seems that more value is placed on saying the right things than actually working hard.

A mostly great place to work, BUT...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westfield Center, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westfield Center, OH

I worked at Westfield Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

One of the best parts about working for Westfield is that it's not a high-level stress, 24/7 culture. There is a very strong emphasis on work-life balance, there are perks like a free gym, a beautiful campus, a really nice cafeteria, and, if you're lucky, you get to work from home a day a week. Depending on what department you're in, there are also very few expectations of anyone working past 5:30 p.m. Most people don't even have a company phone. Vacation benefits are standard, but they're pretty stingy on sick days. So while I list a lot of cons and am pretty critical of leadership, I'd recommend that people work at Westfield if they want convenience & ease, not much challenge, and aren't looking to climb a ladder somewhere.

Cons

The biggest con is the leadership/overall culture at Westfield. Very old-school, VERY conservative, not progressive at all. There's still a major good ol' boys network, and a VERY strong sense from leadership that "we're better than you". There is a lot of talk of empowerment and everyone's ideas are important - but that's all it is: talk. Upper management is pretty arrogant, and is NEVER seen outside their special "wing" of the building except getting coffee in the cafeteria in the morning. The benefits are standard, the compensation is all over the place - some of the hardest workers are way underpaid, some of the positions are way overpaid (just look at the posted ranges on here to see what I mean). They also have a terrible habit of doing a million employee surveys, then doing nothing with the information they get.

Try to be a little more humble and practice what you preach. Stop telling people that they're crucial to the organization, they're important, you want to retain quality people, etc. - and then treating them otherwise. The party-line of "market-based pay" is not fooling anyone anymore. Maybe you sincerely think that people are getting rewarded accordingly for working hard and learning and growing, and that the performance review system is working, but trust me - they're not and it's not. Oh, and one last thing: please stop promoting unqualified people to higher leadership roles just because they've been there forever. It's downright embarrassing. Westfield is the worst example of "The Peter Principle" at work that I've ever seen.