www.westfield.com

Updated December 15, 2014
3.1

Westfield Co-Chief Executive Officers Peter S Lowy
Peter S Lowy

Pros
  • Good comapny with good benefits (in 3 reviews)

• good pay and benefits; vaction and sick time (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was a struggle for many employees (in 4 reviews)

• High turnover here as culture drives food people out (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

facilities

I have been working at Westfield

Pros

good benefits and respectable company

Cons

lack of growth amd only meets lower end of salary

Westfield is a nice place to work!

I have been working at Westfield

Pros

Nice offices, I love my boss!

Cons

Surrounding food options are pricey.

PSC Security

Former Employee - Security Officer in Century City, CA
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Century City, CA

I worked at Westfield full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are no Pros, this company doesn't care about employees. You are just a body or number. You can be very dedicated and that doesn't matter to them. The turn over rate is very high. If you don't know anyone in the corporate structure then you're in for a hard time. All of management is completely incompetent and prejudicial. The only reason PSC holds the contracts to Westfield is because both owners are very good friends, otherwise this company would have been replaced.

Cons

Very poor training, they offer ZERO benefits, the wages and hours are substandard. Their excuse is "they are competitive wages." What they are saying is that they and other security companies have met an agreement to use the same wage in the area of operations to avoid turn over. Trust me, I've sat on those meetings. Even if the responsibility belongs to a supervisor, you will be blamed for it! This company has managers and supervisors that are functioning illiterates! Everything one does will be scrutinized down to a minute. If your detex checks are within good time, and close to the limit, you're looking at a possible write up. Just steer clear of this company, it's not worth the stress and loss of time over it. They are a bunch of hacks and 3rd rate security company.

Learn to talk and treat the employees with respect. I highly suggest you take some Social Studies classes so that you can improve on being a better human being. Many of you are still kids and haven't learn lessons from life yet, so listen to those who have and given you respect.

Great option if you're out of college or desperate for a job

Former Employee - AR Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - AR Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Westfield as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

-Trendy office high up in the Century Plaza Towers with great views of Los Angeles
    - Basement of towers has Starbucks, a convenience store, and places to eat
    - Nice people in the AR dept
    - Management makes an effort to keep employees happy by occasionally bringing in bagels, treats, and closing the dept early on Fridays and before holidays
    - Their initial offer was low, but they accepted my counter offer.

Cons

- New employees in the AR dept are required to start as temps.
    - High turnover. Out of the 4 people I interviewed with, 2 of them had left the company by the time I quit 6 months later.
    - Even though I had great results, management did not want to hire me after temping for 6 months. By the time I quit, all temps had been let go and I was the last one remaining.
    - First I was given a project that I told management I enjoyed doing. Then due to employee turnover, I was taken off and given regular duties. Finally I was put back on my original project which by that time was a mess. There was pressure to get the project wrapped up, which was unfair seeing that I was taken off of it for a month.
    - Training is incomplete and inconsistent. It felt like management assumed temps are going to leave eventually and don't want to invest the time & effort. I had no property management experience, so I had to learn a lot as I went along.
    - The department has constant deadlines and a lot of the work felt like busywork.
    - You have to get numerous approvals to do anything and everything.

- Hire temps with good results after 3 months
    - Hire 1 or 2 admins to take on the department's busywork so collectors can spend more time collecting
    - Implement a consistent training regimen
    - Don't treat temps like they're expendable

Entrepreneurial Attitude

Former Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Westfield full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, ability to drive your career, industry leaders in real estate. If you are willing to drive your own career you can move into different areas of the business.

Cons

Silos within the organization, reduced presence in the United States. Little support in terms of training and best practice. An international organization but it operates each region relatively independently making it difficult to transfer internationally.

Great opportunity, great team, fun job!

Former Employee - Concierge in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Concierge in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Westfield full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had an awesome management team, and never any issues from the corporate side of it. I'm still in contact with all of them.

Cons

My position was cut due to decreased business needs in OTHER malls, even though our mall really needed it.

Keep it up! Maybe take things on a case by case basis.

Former Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I worked at Westfield full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent growth opportunities, fair salaries and good bonus structure. The bonus system is heavily based on both meeting expectations as well as exceeding expectations. Working hard here really pays off.

Cons

Yes there are cons at Westfield as well. The biggest is support from co-workers who would step on anyone that gets in their way as recognition is more important to them than anything else.

At review time seek more feedback from the individuals that interface with an employee rather than just their supervisor.

US Corp HQ

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Westfield (more than an year)

Pros

Sharp people, good exec leaders. Sharp marketing. Some people are prickly on outside (must be to protect themselves) and then turn out to the nicest people I've met, easy to work with, easy to communicate with. Move to new US HQ with open plan coupled with much turnover means opportunities for others.

Cons

Inadequate middle managers focused on politics don't understand priorities, stop progress and hamper their employees. Some dept heads are extremely political so merit doesn't matter at all. High turnover here as culture drives food people out. Involuntarily gets rid of dedicated worker bees instead of listening and training them on skills needed by the company. Lack of structured procedures and knowledge repositories makes pick up difficult.

Run employees of 5 years or more through "Another Dept for A Day" rotation so they can see what else is going on and facilitate their own growth. Clean up the middle managers. Really look at the turnover -- the transitions are not productive and increase company risk.

Challenging work environment

I worked at Westfield full-time

Pros

Good compensation and benefits; good location; dedicated and hardworking employees

Cons

Political organization with functional silos; mirco-management and poor internal communications; open floor plan distracting and stressful

Good company.

Current Employee - Temp Executive Vice President Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Temp Executive Vice President Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Westfield full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, trying to change. Very relationship based internally in order to get things done.

Cons

Slow moving and says it wants to take risk but is very risk averse at the lower executive levels. Is struggling with change and collaboration between 'old' and 'new'.

Take more risk and give people more authority to make decisions - trust the people you hire.

Westfield Photos

Outside view of the Westfield Group headquarter office located in Sydney, Australia (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.246)

+ Add Photo