Westinghouse

Westinghouse Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Westinghouse President and CEO Danny Roderick

Danny Roderick

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance, though variable, was generally pretty good"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Flexible work hours, good pay, on-site athletic facilities, good training instructors"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Many interns are college grads or students, therefore they do not understand what a work life balance is (aka raising a family)"
    in 8 reviews
  • "No matter the amount of work that you put in or what you accomplish"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very Positive Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Westinghouse as a contractor for less than a year

ProsVery professional and appreciative atmosphere

ConsDidn't see any during my time there.

Working at Bechtel was an overall disappointment.

Civil Engineer II (Current Employee)
Spring City, TN

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe benefits and 401K plan are good

Conslimited empoyee development and poor working conditions

Review of Westinghouse Nuclear

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)
Birmingham, AL

I worked at Westinghouse full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI worked for Westinghouse in the early years of my Career . My early years of training by Westinghouse was very helpful during my Career as an Electrical Utility Engineer . Even
today I'm able to use that career training path especially when I working in Power Plants .

ConsThe only problem I had was with my 401K .

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the Corporate Training for new Career Employees . Support the Engineering Universities that send them to you .

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stable and competitive company, despite recent layoffs

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNuclear power is an ever-changing, exciting industry. Despite recent layoffs (2013), Westinghouse is a stable company. The new CEO Danny Roderick has been making significant changes from the worker-level all the way up through his direct reports in upper management, indicating a commitment to creating a healthy company at any cost.

ConsThis is contract-based work, so there is sometimes a feast-or-famine effect.

Great company to work for!

Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee)
Windsor, CT

I worked at Westinghouse full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe quality of the people working at Westinghouse made for an awesome experience. I loved going to work every day.

ConsLack of accountability at times, earlier in employment years.

Change needs to happen sooner and with more communication

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompensation and benefits are pretty good compared to other companies. First level management usually is extremely supportive of development and continuing education so long as you take the initiative. The company is finally getting a hold of its costs and moving in the right direction of being efficient.

ConsDespite initial hope for the new CEO to clean house and reduce management layers, the company remains extremely bureaucratic and top-heavy. Multiple levels of approval is needed for the most mundane of decisions which continues the culture of no accountability. Lower level management is not empowered to do what they are paid to do...manage their people and make decisions. The company is centered around its US headquarters.

Advice to Senior ManagementA majority of the morale issues are due to lack of communication and poor management. Keep cleaning house before all of your high-performers are gone and you're left with the lifers who provide no value.

Upper management is disconnected and unrealistic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Westinghouse

ProsGreat group of people to work with, some opportunities for visibility, professional development opportunities, continued education reimbursement

ConsUpper management is disconnected and has unrealistic expectations. They no longer have any idea what effort goes in to completing things and do not assess what it will take to get work done...they just say "get it done"

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more realistic.

Top heavy bureaucracy. Once attractive benefits package is in decline.

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMost front-line managers are very reasonable and don't micro-manage.
Attractive health benefits, pension, savings plans.
Opportunities for promotion.
Opportunities for travel.

ConsBudgets have been tightened since acquisition by Toshiba.
Benefits package still attractive but in decline.
Unsuccessful in securing sales; jobs in the pipeline are lacking.
Looming threat of layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake policies work for you, not against you.

Great company - fear of layoffs is the only drawback...

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time for more than 5 years

ProsProfessional environment, friendly people mostly.

ConsNever know what is coming - if you'll be laid off or not..

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep employees "in the know" so they can be prepared for change.

Great Company to work for if you have tenacity and a strong work ethic.

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTough times for the company and the overall Nuclear Industry. If you have a good work ethic and are dedicated to focusing on what you can do to add value, you will be recognized and appreciated. New leadership is fresh, open honest and candid but different from past leaders which is needed now based on what is happening in the industry. They are focused on very basic changes to core processes that should already be in place and are critical to the company's success. This has always been a difficult industry but the new AP1000 is great technology and I have faith in the future and how Westinghouse can help the world.

ConsThe way the company is organized makes it hard to implement global changes. There are silos and redundant activities within and across the businesses that add cost and inefficiency. It is tough to make changes across the company because there are too many decision makers who are seriously dedicated to doing what is right for the company but are used to running their businesses and providing services as they have in the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay committed to implementing the positive yet difficult changes that are core to our business. Focus on all cost, not just general and administrative. Reward the change agents and be positive change leaders. There is a need to adjust the company to the current environment and manage the problems from growing the company too fast 5 years ago, too many hires, new building, etc. I am encouraged by actions being taken but think more are needed to improve the current operating models to get rid of silos. I am encouraged that we are aligning how we operate, where it makes sense, to our customers and the overall industry. Have more round tables and continue to conduct observations with your employees to encourage a questioning attitude. Good leadership is critical now more than ever.

Worked for Westinghouse? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Westinghouse reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Westinghouse CEO Danny Roderick. All 213 reviews posted anonymously by Westinghouse employees.