Westinghouse

Westinghouse Reviews in Cranberry Township, PA

Updated Jan 31, 2014

Westinghouse President and CEO Danny Roderick

Danny Roderick

Pros
  • Work/life balance, though variable, was generally pretty good(in 11 reviews)

• Flexible work hours, good pay, on-site athletic facilities, good training instructors(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • This makes work-life balance challenging - although the alternative work schedules help(in 9 reviews)

• Nuclear Industry took a direct hit when the tsunami hit Japan, causing that nuclear accident(in 9 reviews)

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for!

Structural Engineer (Current Employee) Cranberry Township, PA

ProsManagement is extremely focused on nuclear safety and on time delivery. Excellent and intelligent co-workers make the day-to-day exciting and challenging.

ConsContract position and nice if they have fulltime employment

Poorly managed, doomed industry

Principal Engineer (Former Employee) Cranberry Township, PA

ProsLots of new, young, outside employed engineers about 4-6 years ago during the nuclear boom - forced change in old processes, good pay for the Pittsburgh area

ConsPoor management that doesn't know how to work together for a common goal. Old fashioned library type atmosphere, older employees do not appreciate what new employees can bring to the industry that is in need of great change.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the young and new people you brought in from the outside that you paid so much money to get - they have lots of insite even if its things you don't want to hear.

No life if you work for WEC

Principal Quality Engineer (Former Employee) Cranberry Township, PA

ProsGreat pay compared to other Pittsburgh companies, great perks at HQ (gym, huge cafe, beautiful campus), great opportunities to get well rounded experience

ConsMgmt and peers do not respect personal time. Day starts approx 07:30 (via cell phone calls) and lasts until 14:00 or later; including on holidays and your vacation days. Many groups have mandatory Saturday overtime. Colleagues who maintain a reasonable work-life balance (45 hours/week) quickly develop reputation of lazy (or worse) even if they exceed objectives.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerform a time study of actual hours worked (both in building and at home).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I've learned a lot about processes, procedures, and regulatory practices.

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Cranberry Township, PA

ProsGood Salary, Close To My Hometown, Exposed to PLC programming
    manufacturing, and testing, and chances for start up activities

ConsThey don't expand past nuclear, so if something bad happens industry wide they are greatly affected. In my 5 years at the company I saw a huge renassaince turn into a struggling to maintain competitive energy producing plants. Natural Gas and Fukushima have had big impacts on the nuclear industry.

Honest opinion.

Engineer (Former Employee) Cranberry Township, PA

Pros- Nice main office.
    - Great cafeteria.

Cons- Matrix organization. This style of management does not work for mega projects.
    - Absolutely will not finish current nuclear projects on time and within budget. This is not good for the future of the company.
    - Lots of inbreeding.
    - Hiring boom a few years back caused many people to be promoted who should not have been. This means highly incompetent managers.
    - How many CEOs has Westinghouse been through in the past 2 years? It's hard to keep track.
    - Many people lack experience. Poor quality of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees better. If you continue with the mandatory saturdays, you will lose your best talent.

A dying industry and company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cranberry Township, PA

ProsThe pay was good and the benefits were in line with expectations at that level

Cons- It is not about what you do, but who you know
    - Lay offs are coming - cost reduction efforts started after the Japanese disaster and have progressed down hill. They announced a 700 person layoff just yesterday, and no one is knocking on the door to buy a new multi billion dollar nuclear plant when so many other options are out there.
    - Some managers have been there for years and that is the only reason they are still there (it is not about ability)
    -Employee complaints are often ignored and unchecked, HR is ONLY out for the company and never the individual. If you do bring something up you are a target and should count your days.
    - Although they claim to be safety oriented, they do not always act that way. I am aware of several occasions that issues were brought up to senior management that were dismissed as no big deal and pushed under the rug. Probably because the plants they are building now are WAY over budget and not even close to being delivered on time.
    -Management is so layered that everyone thinks they should be involved, as a result it takes months to get anything done and 100s of people to review anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut out all those layers of Directors, VP and managers...way too many chiefs. Pay attention to the managers who are losing people in droves or complaining about their management....all those people can't be wrong.

Great Company to Start Your Career

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Cranberry Township, PA

ProsHigh starting salaries for those right out of college or little experience, looks great on the resume; exposed to the most stringent regulations that exist in any industry, great and intelligent people to work with, lots to gain from those with 20+ years in the Nuclear Industry, great travel opportunities

ConsVERY out of touch management that spend most of their time in meetings rather than managing their people. too many family ties within the company, upper management does not communicate well with employees, upper management believes that working employees harder and longer leads to success, often requires mandatory overtime to make up for mis-managed projects. Training is poor, there is a huge knowledge gap between very experienced and new employees. Westinghouse owner Toshiba is focused on making a profit and cutting costs. This is not the same Westinghouse your parents knew... Less employee focused, more schedule/money driven. The new CEO is no nonsense, and focused on making a profit. But, at least he's not afraid to say so, very straight forward and honest so far.

Advice to Senior ManagementWEC needs to start over, beginning with an internal audit of their management. There are too many levels of management, resulting in lack of communication and trust with employees. Suspended training programs need to be re-instituted to help motivate employees to stay. Don't institute policies (such as FlexTime) and then take them away.

Good job, good benefits, flexible, not much room for advancement

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cranberry Township, PA

Prosgood benefits, nice vacation time/paid holidays

ConsLow raises per year, no bonuses, limited budget available for training/travel

Great company to work for

Principal Project Engineer (Current Employee) Cranberry Township, PA

ProsInteresting work, great travel opporrtunties, for the most part compentent co-workers, great pay, great work life balance, great cafe

Conshighly regulated industry, during hiring boom (2006- 2011) HR appeared to reduce standards and hired some low quality employees

Always in flux

Manager (Current Employee) Cranberry Township, PA

ProsPay above average. A lot of good people working there. Nice Headquarters in Cranberry. New CEO Roderick seems to get it or at least is talking it now, we shall see.

ConsGood ole boy network. Rather top heavy in Mgmt and I often wonder how some got their positions. Very cut-throat, lots of finger pointing. Always under the worry of layoffs or redeployments. Good people can be gone the next day. People are paranoid.

They preach safety first but schedule actually rules. They tend to not listen to process improvement ideas until its too late and critical. They seem to value people who put out fires rather than those that have ideas to prevent them. There is such an environment of silos, it's like "as long as I'm not to blame, I don't care what your group does". A lot of creative workarounds in some groups.

They preach the work/life balance but the schedule again rules. A lot of lip service.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut out the top heavy Management. Allow employees to work, not keep explaining what they are doing to Mgmt. Cutting worker bees not the answer. Break down silos.

Worked for Westinghouse? Contribute to the Community!