Westinghouse

Westinghouse Reviews in Cranberry Twp, PA

Updated Mar 7, 2014

Westinghouse President and CEO Danny Roderick

Danny Roderick

Pros
  • Work/life balance, though variable, was generally pretty good(in 11 reviews)

• Flexible work hours, good pay, on-site athletic facilities, good training instructors(in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • This makes work-life balance challenging - although the alternative work schedules help(in 9 reviews)

• Nuclear Industry took a direct hit when the tsunami hit Japan, causing that nuclear accident(in 9 reviews)

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good intern experience in an industry I previously didn't know much about.

Intern (Former Employee) Cranberry Twp, PA

ProsFlexible work hours, good pay, on-site athletic facilities, good training instructors

ConsThere are many extensive guidelines to follow

Living the dream???

Project Manager (Current Employee) Cranberry Twp, PA

ProsEmerging contracts seem to indicate that there is more work on the horizon. Decent benefits package (starting salary, vacation, health care) but not something others don't offer..

ConsWestinghouse just put a freeze on salaries and eliminated senior management bonuses for the fiscal year. While not traded as a public company, the struggles of parent company Toshiba are placing extreme pressure on Westinghouse to make up for the losses. Westinghouse is in the middle of several challenging contracts in China where it is expected that the company will be hit with losses as the first AP1000 plants are constructed and come on line. Cash flow issues are being blamed on engineers but management does not look at themselves. In the past two years, the CEO has preached change, but procedures and beaurocracy remains a heavy burden borne by the working class of Westinghouse. The CEO has done little to bring effective change, settling rather to but cut benefits (pension), cut personnel (layoffs), cut overtime, freeze hiring, and allow key knowledgable technical leaders to walk away from the company. Patronizing weekly messages from the CEO advise employees that they are in control of their own morale regardless of how many cuts are handed down.
    While a handful of good employees continue to work at Westinghouse, many are leaving. The remaining majority are people with lackluster careers (sub-par talent and work ethic) that can't find work elsewhere, those holding on for retirement, and those looking for jobs outside of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop an incentive plan to keep the people that have been trained and developed skill sets needed to support the business units and products provided by Westinghouse. Take a hard look at the encyclopedia set of procedures and reduce them. Eliminate the poor performers and REWARD the good. Take a capitalistic approach to business priorities and you may make a profit.

Finally focus on the business

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Cranberry Twp, PA

ProsProducts important for the environment
    New management progressive and making changes
    Profitable business that is growing.
    Actually building new plants and new orders in progress.

ConsLegacy financial Issues from previous leadership have to be addressed.
    Training programs need to be more classroom than computer based.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll new leaders brought in have really made a difference. Keep focus on accountability and nuclear safety.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very dissapointing

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Cranberry Twp, PA

ProsGood benefits and tuition reimbursement.

ConsOverall lack of accountability throughout the company. No job satisfaction and no potential for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and open your eyes.

Westinghouse can be good or bad for you...but please don't listen to INTERN reviews!

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Cranberry Twp, PA

ProsLocation, compensation, job security, social work environment, great benefits. If you're smart, you will make Westinghouse work for you. Accept an analyst job, earn about 70K a year (MINIMUM). Stay low on the pole and do a good job in your Analyst job, and you will have plenty of time to raise a family on a MORE THAN DECENT salary, with great benefits. Get them to pay for graduate school, while you maintain low responsibility. If you go beyond this, to a PM or Management position, be prepared to get rattled and worked to your last nerve.

ConsI see a lot of interns posting on here. I was an intern for 2 years at Westinghouse before I actually started working here full time. Do not take intern reviews as reality. Life changes when you start to earn a real income and become part of the "Westinghouse Work force." Many interns are college grads or students, therefore they do not understand what a work life balance is (aka raising a family). Be prepared to work (on average), a 10 hour day, plus Saturdays. Also, be aware, the overtime policy has changed at Westinghouse. Mandatory 8 hour overtime per week, and NO OVERTIME COMPENSATION, ONLY COMP TIME WHICH YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO TAKE. The competitive pay works out to be just about the same as those companies who pay "less," because those companies actually (1) Give bonuses, (2) Allow you to work 8-9 hour days, (3) Allow your vacations to role over and allow you comp time, (3) Give potential stock options.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement preaches the right ideas, but they don't really carry them out. I know we are in a tough time as a company, but for goodness sake, let your employees rest and go home once in a while. Horror Story: i know more than 50+ employees, working 14+ hour days, Saturdays, etc, since OCTOBER 2013. They are going out of their minds. Your ignorance will cause lots of hurt to families if you don't start to wake up to reality.

Moderately Satisfying

Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Cranberry Twp, PA

ProsSatisfying work environment, great build facilities and benefit, 401K matching and pension plan (no longer available to new employees), and above average salaries.

ConsLack to project management and cost control, below average health care benefits, new management, frequent organizational change, recent layoffs, and a foreign ownership that has short term cash flow focus.

Grew too fast... still catching up

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Cranberry Twp, PA

ProsLots of young, forward-thinking people

ConsNo one listens to all of the young, forward-thinking people.

Promotions and raises are based mostly on years at Westinghouse. I came into the company with 4+ years of experience, and got paid new-hire rates. Now, it will take me several years to catch up.

Recent layoffs, and no assurance that jobs are safe

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure the promotion/raise mechanics. Put value on forward-thinking and good performance. Try to honor previous experience.

Living in the Past

Engineer (Former Employee) Cranberry Twp, PA

Pros- Co-workers (engineering staff) are knowledgeable, they work hard, and there is very little workplace drama.

- Pay and benefits are good, but nothing extraordinary for engineering

- Many employees are constantly trying to make Westinghouse a better company and stop the cycle of over-budget, over-time, projects. Which is where the cons come in.

Cons- The number of procedures and policies to learn is astronomical. Training must be maintained and up to date even when a significant number of the procedures do not apply to your work area. Good luck keeping up with the stuff you need to know to actually do your job and these never-ended policies/procedures.

- Westinghouse is the opposite of a modern, forward-thinking technology company. The policies guiding software projects are decades old, and the lack of modern software knowledge is so lacking, that employees are encouraged to buy expensive licenses and other alternatives rather than make use of in-house software or industry-standard open source options.

- Documentation. Documentation. Documentation. Engineers who came to Westinghouse with the hope of developing software for use in new plants now spend most of their day writing documents and going to meetings about those documents.

- The burden of regulatory action is pushed down to the lowest engineering levels, shielding the countless VP's, SVP's, and EVP's from scrutiny.

- Older engineers just waiting to pull the rip-cord on retirement, and sticking with the (failing) status-quo.

- The cafeteria is overrated and overpriced. You're better off going out to eat since lunch isn't any cheaper for much lower quality. Prices keep going up. Don't expect any perks.

- Blatant nepotism.

Advice to Senior ManagementMuch of this review is irrelevant since you aren't hiring anyone. I don't think that any management above first-line has any idea how disgruntled people are. Your best employees are going to continue to leave while your 30-40 year vets are milking time for their pension. You messed up, and you should hope that your company is awarded another contract...soon.

The infamous round of layoffs was easy and did nothing but affect the company's bottom line. Employees with 25+ years of service should have been forced to retire to make room for people that actually want to bring this company into the 21st century.

Great career choice for me

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Cranberry Twp, PA

ProsModern facilities and communications from leadership including active blog and weekly voice mails keeps all in touch with company. Global company with international opportunities. Management has gotten rid of poor performers and shaken up things for the better. Added over 5,000 employees in last several years. New CEO making a more modern company with new leadership accountability.

ConsNot for those who just want a job. You have to want to be part of the nuclear business it's very demanding standards and not for everyone. Hours are long but accomplishments are felt doing something important like new greenhouse gas free generation of electricity.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a lot of alignment with employees. New CEO has brought focus and dealt with performance issues. Keep communicating its a stronger team everyday. Thanks for pushing nuclear and personnel safety culture shows you get it and care.

Best place to work in the nuclear industry

Senior Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Cranberry Twp, PA

ProsGreat place to work with diverse locations plus has international opportunities to develop skills. Lots of changes that are going in the right direction. New energy levels and focus helping to deal with large workload. Strategy from top to bottom of the organization with good communication.

ConsSome legacy behaviors hard to change. Mid management is weak and tolerated by Oldboy network that has recently been busted apart. Hope on the horizon.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to push out poor performers in the company. Employees really like the blogs voicemails and communications to help tie in to the strategy.

Worked for Westinghouse? Contribute to the Community!