Westinghouse

Updated December 15, 2014
2.9

Westinghouse President and CEO Danny Roderick
Danny Roderick

Pros
  • Work/life balance, though variable, was generally pretty good (in 12 reviews)

• Flexible work hours, good pay, on-site athletic facilities, good training instructors (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • This makes work-life balance challenging - although the alternative work schedules help (in 10 reviews)

• The nuclear industry is stagnant and the nuclear renaissance is on hold indefinitely (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

137 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

This was a positive experience, although I would not want to continue working here following my internship.

Former Employee - Intern in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Cranberry Twp, PA

I worked at Westinghouse

Pros

Great internship program. I learned a lot from this experience.

Cons

Negative attitudes throughout and little direction from manager.

Computer Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Computer Engineer Intern in Cranberry Township, PA
    Former Employee - Computer Engineer Intern in Cranberry Township, PA

I worked at Westinghouse

Pros

Really nice work environment. Supervisors were very helpful

Cons

Big company so it is tough getting use to

Great place to Intern!

Current Employee - Marketing Engineer Intern in Cranberry, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing Engineer Intern in Cranberry, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This was a great place to intern. I gained a lot of experience that has helped me in my job search as well as got a great feel for the corporate world. The pay is really great for an Intern and the Intern program is truly awesome. There are many different activities and Intern events throughout the summer.

Cons

It seems like many people are not satisfied with their jobs and the office can be tense at times.

Very Good Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranberry Township, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cranberry Township, PA

I worked at Westinghouse as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of Interaction with other disciplines and work groups, excellent pay rate for Contractors and competitive salary for Direct Hires, Overtime Opportunities (Be prepared for 7 day work weeks when deadlines are in effect, AP1000 work experience on first Nuclear Plants being built in US in over 30 years, Excellent Nuclear Engineering Culture, Excellent Location in Pittsburgh area, Respectful and Pleasant Work Environment (George Westinghouse, the founder encouraged this), Innovative Design Opportunities, Lots of Training Opportunities, Lots of Highly Qualified Engineers from top tier Universities (Georgia Tech, Carnegie Mellon, MIT, Illinois, Penn State, Pittsburgh to name a few common schools)

Cons

Lots of Procedures to follow that at times can be conflicting and cumbersome, Security System is in place that is at times Over Regulated (you have to login to use printers and copiers each time for example), Several Managers have more Management background and less Engineering background (several did not have P.E. Licenses), if one becomes a Direct Hire, they give up 8 hours per week in pay, I've heard office politics are no good for Direct Hires but as a Contractor I cannot confirm that though

Get more Managers who have Design Engineering experience, be more efficient in milestone deadlines

Good place to cruise

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Westinghouse as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Ethical company that focuses on helping the world to build safer alternative energy sources.

Cons

Not as fast paced as big tech companies. Due to the nature of the work, it's bureaucratic.

Great place to intern, but it is an office setting strictly

Former Employee - Intern in Cranberry Township, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Cranberry Township, PA

I worked at Westinghouse as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is good, the people are good, it feels like they care, had a lot of great times there, learned a lot about big businesses and nuclear industry

Cons

There is a hierarchy in the office, as in a lot of places. There was a lot of down-time in my internship. Some people who work there are very unhappy about what they're being asked to do. There is a general negativity about some things, like working with other companies and things. Regular big business problems.

I wish there wasn't such a disconnect between the higher-ups and the lower people. It feels like the managers are on ice a lot about many things and the lower people are just there to do their job and leave. No one seems to love working there at all.

Great people, poor management

Former Employee - Product Manager in Cranberry Township, PA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Cranberry Township, PA

I worked at Westinghouse full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with good people and was given freedom in my job. When there was no work backlog flexible work weeks were great. The facilities are great.

Cons

The nuclear industry is stagnant and the nuclear renaissance is on hold indefinitely. Lack of leadership is preventing the company from moving forward. The company is very hesitant to change and as one employee in a large company there is little one can do to implement change in a stubborn company.

Management needs to take the time to better understand the inter-workings of the company. Continuous reorganizations are not helping. Take the managers out of the meetings they are in all day so they can focus on getting things done.

Overall not a bad place but nothing special

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The salaries are competitive

Cons

The managers have a Laissez-faire style of leadership. One can get lost in the Westinghouse machine and no one is the wiser.

Take notes from the top 10 rated companies. Making your employees happy will affect the bottom line. Develop meaningful KPI from the lowest level to the top. Often time those on the bottom have no idea what they are working to.

Great people, poor management

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

If one is interested they can typically have a very long career with the company. They obviously do something right. When most people retire they seem to have at least 30+ years with the company.

Cons

Very limited opportunities for career growth and advancement. Most technical/engineering positions become paper pushers instead of doing real engineering work. The processes to follow are so onerous that it is no wonder projects are typically late and over budget.

I enjoy working here! The pay and benefits are good.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are great, and as long as you get your work done, mgmt. leaves you alone.

Cons

Performance reviews here are pre-determined before you even have a sit down with your manager.

Before giving reviews, talk to your people first before giving a generic rating.

Westinghouse Photos