Westinghouse

Westinghouse Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Westinghouse President and CEO Danny Roderick

Danny Roderick

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance, though variable, was generally pretty good"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Flexible work hours, good pay, on-site athletic facilities, good training instructors"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Many interns are college grads or students, therefore they do not understand what a work life balance is (aka raising a family)"
    in 8 reviews
  • "No matter the amount of work that you put in or what you accomplish"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

From an intern perspective, great.

I have been working at Westinghouse as an intern for less than a year

ProsDiverse set of projects. A lot of exposure to different professionals. Invested in my training. A very close work group. Good communication and valued my work and opinions.

ConsThere is a lot of cost-cutting going on. Technological resources are limited, party because of these cost-cuts. Volatile industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeware that you can't cost-cut yourself to greatness, and may lose some valuable employees, in the process.

Company with a lot of potential, but losing it's steam

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompetitive benefits (401K, Pension, Insurance)
Opportunities for growth within the nuclear industry.
High quality standards.
Alternative work schedules (9/80, Telecommuting)

ConsNo bonuses or extra compensation of any kind.
Consistent cost cutting over the last five years at the expense of the employees (lay-offs, pay freezes, reduction in travel, mandatory un-paid overtime).
Low employee morale
Poor business projection seven years ago and the events of Fukishima led to an overstaffed company resulting in lay-offs.
Company owners (Toshiba) have placed unrealistic expectations on company profit margin.
Reduced opportunities for employee growth and networking (virtually no travel for young employees)

Advice to Senior ManagementLower management needs to maintain focus at developing their employees and providing them with growth opportunities. Upper management needs to recognize the consequences of their decisions to cut costs with business operations as some decisions have hurt the company in many ways such as decreasing industry influence and lack of employee retension.

SQMO

Senior Supplier Quality and Manufacturing Oversight Engineer (Current Employee)
Cranberry, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time for more than a year

ProsYou are not watched over like most companies as long as you do your work.

ConsContractors are not treated that well

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to fight for contractors that they find are working well so they can get hired.

Good company to start after college.

Intern (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I worked at Westinghouse as an intern for more than a year

ProsAmazing people that are smart and always positive. No strict hours, you can start anywhere between 7 or 9 am and can take a lunch between 11 and 2. Leave when you reach 8 hours. Managers are awesome. Many group/team meetings so you get to meet and get to know people in the office.

ConsLarge company so you don't get to learn a lot.
Very repetitive work. No free coffee.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and change assignments so workers don't get bored and are more familiar with what others are doing.

Stagnant industry, slowly declining company in denial.

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time

ProsCompensation is calculated to be competitive. Flexible work week. Blue-collar employees I work with are great.

ConsDeclining industry. Corporate initiatives are design to maintain corporate jobs, not actually improve the company. CEO shares messages weekly, but no one in the 800 layers of management is capable of actually listening. Engineers have no technical career path, most of the ones I work with have been in the same job regardless of how long they have worked here.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen. Telling the sites outside of Cranberry to save $ while you are in a palace is beyond hypocritical. Actually replace people that retire that did real work. Morale is stunningly bad and getting worse.

Not a warm and fuzzy place anymore

Engineer (Former Employee)
Cranberry, PA

I worked at Westinghouse full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFull of Hope from 2006-2009. Good pay, good atmosphere

ConsIf your manager doesn't care about your project he won't care about giving you a promotion. HR is useless. Went down hill after fukushima. Pay freezes. Poor moral

Good, professional work place. Very respectful environment.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Windsor, CT

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood competitive pay. Good people and generally good work dynamic. Lower levels of management are very supportive of their staff. Great environment to learn in, and you will learn a lot real fast.

ConsCompany is not doing well at the moment. Morale is low. CEO makes short sighted decisions that decrease morale and cut costs in one way, but hurt the comapny in bigger ways. Very specialized and hard to translate skills to another industry if you leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of the employees. Good things are being cut and morale is decreasing.

Bureaucracy is self-inflicted

Engineer (Former Employee)
Windsor, CT

I worked at Westinghouse full-time for more than a year

ProsCompetitive salary; people are friendly. Work/life balance, though variable, was generally pretty good.

ConsToo many layers of management whose purpose is unclear. I once had a conference call with 7 managers to kick off a project for which I was the sole contributor, and their participation was not helpful. Training to procedures was a hyper-regular nuisance given that their detachment from one's own job duties rendered them irrelevant. Understanding of regulatory framework trumped technical knowledge, but did not impart transferable skills to the workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor training and execution: refocus on improving technical quality, as opposed to project management. Project management skills do not, by themselves, create or sustain technical excellence.

Living the dream???

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Cranberry Twp, PA

I have been working at Westinghouse full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEmerging contracts seem to indicate that there is more work on the horizon. Decent benefits package (starting salary, vacation, health care) but not something others don't offer..

ConsWestinghouse just put a freeze on salaries and eliminated senior management bonuses for the fiscal year. While not traded as a public company, the struggles of parent company Toshiba are placing extreme pressure on Westinghouse to make up for the losses. Westinghouse is in the middle of several challenging contracts in China where it is expected that the company will be hit with losses as the first AP1000 plants are constructed and come on line. Cash flow issues are being blamed on engineers but management does not look at themselves. In the past two years, the CEO has preached change, but procedures and beaurocracy remains a heavy burden borne by the working class of Westinghouse. The CEO has done little to bring effective change, settling rather to but cut benefits (pension), cut personnel (layoffs), cut overtime, freeze hiring, and allow key knowledgable technical leaders to walk away from the company. Patronizing weekly messages from the CEO advise employees that they are in control of their own morale regardless of how many cuts are handed down.
While a handful of good employees continue to work at Westinghouse, many are leaving. The remaining majority are people with lackluster careers (sub-par talent and work ethic) that can't find work elsewhere, those holding on for retirement, and those looking for jobs outside of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop an incentive plan to keep the people that have been trained and developed skill sets needed to support the business units and products provided by Westinghouse. Take a hard look at the encyclopedia set of procedures and reduce them. Eliminate the poor performers and REWARD the good. Take a capitalistic approach to business priorities and you may make a profit.

Former Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Westinghouse full-time

ProsTechnically excellent senior coworkers who share a passion for the future of nuclear energy generation. Proud rich past history of innovation.

ConsAt times it was dismal working there. The absolutely worst management. Declining revenue and projected revenue estimates significantly missed their goals. Japanese ownership was a major change of culture. Many do not realize that today's Westinghouse is a Japanese company (Toshiba).

Advice to Senior ManagementUse positive reinforcement more and abandon the easy route of using negative reinforcement. Reduce the "Good old boy" atmosphere of advancement and rewards for those who are not worthy. Listen to and take action based on workers who may not be part of this exclusive club, Unfortunately, management is the major cause of the demise of a once giant and proud legacy that reflected its namesake. Now there is no connection with the great George Westinghouse. His name is leased from CBS to maintain brand recognition that is not congruent with its present operations.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Westinghouse? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Westinghouse reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Westinghouse CEO Danny Roderick. All 213 reviews posted anonymously by Westinghouse employees.