Westmont Living

Westmont Living Reviews

Updated Mar 27, 2014

Andrew Plant

Compass Rose Program Director

Program Directer (Former Employee)

I worked at Westmont Living full-time

ProsSmall enough company that you get to know everyone at corporate.

ConsNever felt like my best effort was good enough. Everyone needs to
feel wanted by their employer especially when the job is so demanding.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little tangible appriciation goes a long way

Too much work, poor upper management, low wages/benefits

Director (Former Employee)
Morgan Hill, CA

I worked at Westmont Living full-time for less than a year

ProsFantastic seniors. Some of the communities are beautiful, especially Morgan Hill. There are pieces of the jobs that are fantastic. For the most part, staff is good.

ConsMuch of the staff, although high-performers and great at their field, are burned out and overworked and demoralized as a result.
Directors are HOURLY and not allowed overtime (even outside sales and event planning).
Directors are given budgets, but then not allowed to use the money or given crazy restrictions like only being allowed to spend money between the 1st and 15th of the month.
Terrible repetitive systems in place that do not mesh well; as a result, managers have to track work in 3-4 systems for one function. For god's sake people, choose ONE system that integrates with other systems and can deliver the output/reports you need. Don't make managers do extra work because you cannot choose the right business platforms.
Lack of accountability for upper management while middle-managers are micro-managed.
Company functions like a start-up, advertises itself as an industry leader/trail blazer, and pinches pennies in all the wrong places.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay upper end of industry wages to attract AND KEEP quality employees.
Hire managers who HAVE expert skills in software, social media, and employee development.
Don't make huge system-wide changes at year end.
Don't make multiple system-wide changes at the same time.
Add clerical support to your management teams.
Staff communities with nurses 24 hours (one dedicated to memory care & one dedicated to assisted/independent living residents); have more caretakers on staff 24 hours than the law requires. You're claiming to provide "inspired living" and high-end living, with top-notch service, so deliver it by staffing appropriately.
Increase maintenance budget and staff.
TRAIN MANAGERS on how to use systems BEFORE you require them to perform job duties. Have managers "shadow" peer at successful community for a week BEFORE you have them perform job duties. Create a better on-boarding process in general.
Get a better understanding of employment laws, especially how to determine exempt from non-exempt. No directors are hourly. Read the law about administrative exempt PLEASE!
Get an IT department. Don't expect your maintenance director to be your IT tech.

Could be great with if the corporate office works more collaboratively with the communities.

I have been working at Westmont Living full-time

ProsThe community itself has a good vibe, warm and home-like.

ConsThe left hand does not know what the right hand is doing at the corporate level. It's a smaller company that is going through growing pains. Low wages and mediocre benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to communicate and introduce change methodically. Go to a community and see what a typical day is like so you know what the staff is up against. Get feedback from the people handling those day-to-day tasks for residents.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not so supportive to the people below

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Westmont Living full-time for less than a year

ProsThey are young and growing and have a lot of potential if the right people get in positions of power.

ConsAs a manager i was forced to lay off good workers in order to pad the companies profit margin.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that the people working are the reason you make money not just the customers but those who care for the customers.

Terraces Chico

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Westmont Living

ProsTakes good care of residents. Clean facility. Caring staff.

ConsRaises and promotions are terrible.

Polatics, Not beneficial to the residents

Upper Management (Current Employee)
Morgan Hill, CA

I have been working at Westmont Living full-time for less than a year

ProsThe Seniors whom are residents, are some of the best you will ever come accross, and Karen the Livestyles Coordinator at Morgan Hill is AWESOME.

ConsBecause of the company polatics, the food is not consistant, nor is the product availability for the residents. The menu will say one thing, but another thing will be what is actually served. For the amount of money the residents pay, too little of that is used for the daily food costs.
Secondly, also because of bedgetary shortfalls, there are not enough hands to get all maitainence issue take care of in a timely mannor.
Thirdly, training of management staff does not meet the needs of the property. If you hire someone with more skill than the trainers, why have the lesser trained train them.
For a company that has more than one location, there are no systems in place that would be beneficial to each new location.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe wary of how you treat the residents, if they found out about all the polatics you could lose a lot of great people. Take pride in your employees and give them the propper tools to do their jobs.

Small Company That Still Has Good Priorities

I have been working at Westmont Living full-time for less than a year

ProsCorporate is very accessible if and when you need them. Great opportunity for those new to this level of care. They will take a chance on someone with the right attributes but no direct experience.

ConsOnly ten communities and little room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose touch with those who make your buildings run

Worked for Westmont Living? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Westmont Living reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Westmont Living CEO Andrew Plant. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Westmont Living employees.