Weston

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

William L. Robertson

Pros:
  • "There are actually some really great people outside of management"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Laid back mentality (depending on which office though) and a very good work/life balance - they do not work you to death like so many consulting firms"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management totally ruined the company from 2005 onwards"
    in 4 reviews
  • "There is still a fat middle management layer, despite numerous recent layoffs"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Friendly working atmosphere

I have been working at Weston full-time

ProsManagement is very understanding and flexible

ConsThe company is currently having financial problems which is very demotivating for employees

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Okemos, MI

I worked at Weston full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSalary. Commitment and expertise of numerous people around the U.S.

ConsEverything else, especially corporate management.

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept reality.

Times they are a changing...

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Weston full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe majority of employees are very committed, hard-working, and good colleages. Flexible work schedules and laid-back atmosphere has always been an upside of working here.

ConsLack of clear business development and marketing focus. Too many corporate initiatives that went nowhere. Top heavy structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't try to be something we aren't. Focus on what we do best. Not a good idea to take on subordinated debt at a time when backlog is seriously slipping and revenues/stock value is in a freefall. VP perks might be a good place to make cuts rather than laying off technical and front line managers.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Weston has gone from one of the best to one of the worst

Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Weston full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAt this time there are no good reasons to work for Weston (recruits beware). However, traditionally it had great employee morale, competent leadership, and opportunity.

ConsPoor morale, incompetent management, and shrinking client backlog resulting in a declining company and on the verge of bankruptcy. Company size is relatively small with no opportunity for career growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many inexperienced senior manager whose only experience is working for Weston. Profit centers need to be dissolved with on organization reporting to the president. Existing client based needs to be strengthened across the country. Dissolve all but large federal contracts and high operating margin private clients.

Good pay, long hours with no recognition or future.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Weston full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay and benefits. Interesting and challenging work.

ConsLong hours. The client was everything and the employee was nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to use the talent that you have found. I saw many people that could not contribute that are still on your payroll and others that were key to the success that were discarded.

Used to be a good company to work for but that was years ago.

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Weston full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWeston used to have good technical staff and probably still do unless they have al been laid off in the recent series of layoffs during the past 5-6 years. Currently there are not too many pros and unfortunately Ben Franklin would have called this a sinking ship rather than a rising sun.

ConsSenior management totally ruined the company from 2005 onwards. They had this completely misguided Global Vision thing that was entirely based on winning US govt. contracts in Iraq and Afghanistan. They knew nothing about real world global business in the non-US govt. commercial arena and probably could not tell China from India on a world map. Yet they ventured off into expanding and opening tons of offices around the world. Eventually they severely underbid a State dept. project in Taiwan by tens of millions of dollars and that has almost led to Weston's demise because of extreme cash flow problems. They have already closed down or planning to close down most of their worldwide offices including China and India. During this time several non-deserving cronies of senior management pushed themselves into prominent positions within the company by promising revenues that they never achieved and that has further escalated the situation our of control. Case in point - even though the India office has never brought in anything even remotely close to the promised revenues, the ex-India office manager has been promoted to a very high position in the US company. At Weston, it seems failure breeds success. It is no surprise that the Board had to clean house and dismiss several top officials including the ex-CEO presumably for nondisclosure and ethical violations. The new management is trying to steady the ship but these efforts are too little too late. They have been forced to lay off roughly 300 people during the past 4 years and currently there are layoffs almost every month just to address cash flow issues from the Taiwan project. Sooner or later this company will fold so get out while you still have a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to the basics. Do the things that the company was good at. Listen to your technical people and promote folks who know their stuff instead of hiring ex-govt. employees that have failed to deliver. Do not promote unqualified people based on who they know rather than what they know.

Get out if you can

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Weston full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat people who care. Flexible.

ConsThe company is a sinking ship. They no longer care about the employees. You give all you have and it is not reciprocated. It is expected of you to go way beyond but you can be laid off for no reason at all. Terrible management. People are usually pigeon holed and are not able to grow in their career.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have great employees who are willing to go the distance, take care of them. Invest in them.

Sinking Ship

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Weston full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexible work schedule. Still a few good people around. Employee-owned. Have the freedom to choose your own career path.

ConsUsed to be a great place to work; however, the company has been in a financial crisis since late 2012 that still does not appear to be improving. Employee morale is at an all-time low. Significant layoffs occurred in March 2013, then another round of layoffs just took place in March 2014. Recent reorganization of the Southern Division has been a joke. The current managers don't have a clue, they tend to sugar coat and put on their cheerleader outfits when speaking about the "path" moving forward to employees. They have asked for repeated "input" from employees about how to improve the company; however, it seems more like a ploy designed to weed out folks who are unhappy.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter look harder for a buyer, going to be tough to get out of the current financial hole on your own.

Weston

Assistant Geoscientist (Current Employee)
Detroit, MI

I have been working at Weston full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits, ideas, work environment and ethics. Chances to learn new concepts are plentiful. There are chances to advance in the company.

ConsManagement issues. "Trial by Fire" attitude when it comes to new / inexperienced employees; at least in the office I worked out of.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage.

I was very pleased working for Weston Solutions as a Site Manager/Safety Officer at Vandenberg A.F.B., CA.

Site Manager/Safety Officer (Former Employee)
Vandenberg AFB, CA

I worked at Weston full-time for more than a year

ProsWeston Solutions Inc. an outstanding professional company from start to the completion of project - New Student Learning Center for U.S. Air Force Department at Vandenberg A.F.B., CA.

ConsI can only say; if it were not for the economy problems the country is going through Weston Solutions Inc. would no doubt be awarded more contracts from the government.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more aggressive in the relationship with government officials so Weston Solutions Inc. can be awarded more contracts to satisfy the governments needs in any and all projects they may need completed at present and in the near future.

Worked for Weston? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Weston reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Weston CEO William L. Robertson. All 61 reviews posted anonymously by Weston employees.