Weston Solutions

Updated January 15, 2015
Updated January 15, 2015
2.2

Alan Solow

Pros
  • I worked with some great people over the years, especially in the emergency response side of operations (in 9 reviews)

• Flexible schedules really helped with work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management totally ruined the company from 2005 onwards (in 6 reviews)

• Upper management in the Midwest was uninformed, and too focused on the bottom line (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Sinking ship.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA

I have been working at Weston Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Weston was a great company to work for. They had good benefits and good pay. I literally went around the world with them and did a lot of work that I am very proud of. The world is a better and safer place because of some of the things we did.

Cons

Weston management has won bid contracts with little if any knowledge of what it takes to do the work. We have lost money until there was no more money to lose and then we borrowed a lot of money at a high interest rate. I suspect that we will lose that too. Most of my friends and associates have either been laid-off or furloughed or have seen the trend and have found other employment. From what I have seen, the field people realize the necessity to make a profit and have worked hard, often without pay, to be successful. The problem, as I see it, is management.

You should really consider understanding the scope of work before signing contracts.

Was a good company to work for.

I have been working at Weston Solutions part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly and laid back .

Cons

The way the company is now' one does not know if they will have a job from one day to the next.

Integrity?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA

I have been working at Weston Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The best part about working at Weston is that the mission is something that makes a difference to our planet.

Cons

They say that integrity is one of their core values. I disagree. Communication is lacking. Information that should be confidential is leaked constantly. No one has a backbone and I'm not even sure they really have a plan to fix the terrible financial situation they're in. Don't let the "nice" people fool you. They will suck everything out of you and then drop you like a hot potato with no rhyme or reason.

Stop tossing the people who care and are making a difference. Keep better tabs on where you are financially. Instead of massive layoffs every few months, get a backbone and stop moving useless people around and "hope" they'll do better. Do something to repair trust and engagement. Do you remember that your employees are your most important asset? Treat them that way. Make some rules: find what works and replicate it. ...and hurry!

Unprofessional Termination

Former Employee - Construction Crew in Trinity, AL
    Former Employee - Construction Crew in Trinity, AL

I worked at Weston Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, Good co-workers, unionized

Cons

Foreman fires me over the phone for eye-witness claim of speeding on site. Doesn't confront me about it just fires me, no warning, no suspension, didn't want my story

Weston solutions

I worked at Weston Solutions

Pros

good company to work for!

Cons

not a long term place for construction

Management ruined a job which should have been a pleasant experience, especially given resources from a Federal contract

Former Employee - Associate Project Scientist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Associate Project Scientist in Denver, CO

I worked at Weston Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Worked for the Federal gov't. & had many resources available at fingertips, including training provided by them. A small number of people in the office were decent people--the rest ego-centric work stealers or borderline incompetent.

Cons

Mgm't. for the contract and the office was terrible. They're immoral and unethical people who barely plan anything. I would show up in the office in the morning and sometimes my boss would have nothing for me to do for a whole week of time and yet others had work at least for a couple of days. I was over-qualified for this position and was taken advantage of as far as my salary.

Adhere to ethics and morality. Actually take the time to plan out employee's schedules (everyones and not your favorites). Don't send Senior Mgm't. out into the field which happened frequently and doesn't make sense from a cost-benefits analysis due to the outrageous salaries this mgm't. guy commands comparatively. Don't under-pay workers as soon as the economy gets better many will jump ship.

Once great...

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Weston Solutions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere , friendly co-workers, variety of work, understanding of non-work commitments.

Cons

Low pay, too much management, apathy, upper management has virtually no accountability, in debt

Even with all the cuts, company is overstaffed. Revamp the entire company. Move MOST people to part time/temp status and make it worth their while to work from home. Think outside of the box, the business is cyclical so treat it that way.

Good company, has had ups and downs.

Current Employee - Project Scientist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Scientist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Weston Solutions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great sick time allowance, good pay. Great training opportunities and a diverse work atmosphere make working at Weston very exciting. Employee owned, great people. Great exposure to the environmental industry, has many government contracts and a great reputation for quality, reliability, and technical capability.

Cons

Senior management can get too involved in business related decisions that should be left to division managers. The structure seems to get reorganized and realigned about once a year, which causes angst and uncertainty amongst employees.

Get the sales force to just go out and "sell". Don't make false promises or get stuck in the weeds with winning the biggest jobs. Slow and steady wins the race.

START is finished

Former Employee - Project Scientist
    Former Employee - Project Scientist

I worked at Weston Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked with some great people over the years, especially in the emergency response side of operations. True friends that put your safety and health before operations and really cared about you, making sure you had relief when it was needed. Unfortunately they are all gone now, or from what I've heard will be soon. Its so sad what has come of this company, at least in the Mid-west PC.

Cons

Upper management decisions have torn apart the Mid-west PC. Most of the good people have been let go or left because of the poor future outlook of the company. I saw people with over 20+ years arrive to the office only to be kicked out to the curb with little to no thanks or compassion. Some would say that's "corporate business" but there IS a right way to treat people. I had 6years in with the company, and worked 50hr weeks for six-eight months last year but was laid off after only 16hrs of unbillable admin time put on my time sheet. Compensation was average at best (although the 1-2% annual raise these last couple years really helped to increase my standard of living-ha). Advancement opportunities were offered but nothing ever materialized. Management were not willing to invest in their employees, or when they did it was the absolute bare minimum.

I don't know what can be said at this point.

Really bad management from the top down

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Weston Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Support staff really worked hard as a team.

Cons

Extremely top-heavy Management only looks out for themselves and looking good to each other. The office had an all employee party to announce another management restructuring. This was to make inter-office collaboration more effective and be a really great opportunity for everyone. Two hours later the new management team started firing people. Managers don't know and don't want to know what their people have to do to get the job done. Instructed to write a detailed job description, but manager never cared to review it.

No advice. They fired most of the support staff so now they only have each other to "manage".