Weston Solutions Reviews

Updated February 24, 2015
87 reviews filtered by

Employee owned environmental and construction management company with great people

I worked at Weston Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Weston had great people and the work groups formed to work on projects often became as close as some family units. Flexible schedules really helped with work/life balance. Fringe benefits were very good.

Cons

Salaries often seemed based more on who up the ladder liked you rather than your actual contributions and efforts. Upper management had a tendency not to address issues early on, instead letting problems fester until only drastic solutions were left as options.

Advice to Management

Problems need to be addresses early on while an opportunity to resolve them easily is still available rather waiting and hoping the problem will go away.

2. great people...great history...difficult times right now

I have been working at Weston Solutions full-time

Pros

great co-workers, excellent work-life balance sensitivity, great healthcare and other benefits. The company does really good work and the employees have admirable core values.

Cons

company still emerging from a difficult 2013-2014 period stemming from economic factors and one high risk project gone poorly. Negative ripple effect on morale.

3. Once a Good Company, Not Anymore

I have been working at Weston Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, especially in the lower levels - dedicated, reliable, loyal. Senior managers undervalue the 'worker bees' contributions and don't have a clue what most people are doing.

Cons

Senior managers squandered years of profitable growth, and are now struggling to keep from going under.

Advice to Management

Stop the layoffs. Good people are leaving in advance of the next layoff rumor, and with good reason (several rounds of layoffs in the past 2 years, company size almost half of what it was in 2011. Value the good people that work there and give the company a chance to breathe and heal.

5. Was a good company to work for.

I have been working at Weston Solutions part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly and laid back .

Cons

The way the company is now' one does not know if they will have a job from one day to the next.

Integrity?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA

I have been working at Weston Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best part about working at Weston is that the mission is something that makes a difference to our planet.

Cons

They say that integrity is one of their core values. I disagree. Communication is lacking. Information that should be confidential is leaked constantly. No one has a backbone and I'm not even sure they really have a plan to fix the terrible financial situation they're in. Don't let the "nice" people fool you. They will suck everything out of you and then drop you like a hot potato with no rhyme or reason.

Advice to Management

Stop tossing the people who care and are making a difference. Keep better tabs on where you are financially. Instead of massive layoffs every few months, get a backbone and stop moving useless people around and "hope" they'll do better. Do something to repair trust and engagement. Do you remember that your employees are your most important asset? Treat them that way. Make some rules: find what works and replicate it. ...and hurry!

7. Sinking ship.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA

I have been working at Weston Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Weston was a great company to work for. They had good benefits and good pay. I literally went around the world with them and did a lot of work that I am very proud of. The world is a better and safer place because of some of the things we did.

Cons

Weston management has won bid contracts with little if any knowledge of what it takes to do the work. We have lost money until there was no more money to lose and then we borrowed a lot of money at a high interest rate. I suspect that we will lose that too. Most of my friends and associates have either been laid-off or furloughed or have seen the trend and have found other employment. From what I have seen, the field people realize the necessity to make a profit and have worked hard, often without pay, to be successful. The problem, as I see it, is management.

Advice to Management

You should really consider understanding the scope of work before signing contracts.

8. Unprofessional Termination

Former Employee - Construction Crew in Trinity, AL
    Former Employee - Construction Crew in Trinity, AL

I worked at Weston Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, Good co-workers, unionized

Cons

Foreman fires me over the phone for eye-witness claim of speeding on site. Doesn't confront me about it just fires me, no warning, no suspension, didn't want my story

9. Weston solutions

I worked at Weston Solutions

Pros

good company to work for!

Cons

not a long term place for construction

10. Once great...

Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Weston Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere , friendly co-workers, variety of work, understanding of non-work commitments.

Cons

Low pay, too much management, apathy, upper management has virtually no accountability, in debt

Advice to Management

Even with all the cuts, company is overstaffed. Revamp the entire company. Move MOST people to part time/temp status and make it worth their while to work from home. Think outside of the box, the business is cyclical so treat it that way.

11. Management ruined a job which should have been a pleasant experience, especially given resources from a Federal contract

Former Employee - Associate Project Scientist in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Associate Project Scientist in Denver, CO

I worked at Weston Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked for the Federal gov't. & had many resources available at fingertips, including training provided by them. A small number of people in the office were decent people--the rest ego-centric work stealers or borderline incompetent.

Cons

Mgm't. for the contract and the office was terrible. They're immoral and unethical people who barely plan anything. I would show up in the office in the morning and sometimes my boss would have nothing for me to do for a whole week of time and yet others had work at least for a couple of days. I was over-qualified for this position and was taken advantage of as far as my salary.

Advice to Management

Adhere to ethics and morality. Actually take the time to plan out employee's schedules (everyones and not your favorites). Don't send Senior Mgm't. out into the field which happened frequently and doesn't make sense from a cost-benefits analysis due to the outrageous salaries this mgm't. guy commands comparatively. Don't under-pay workers as soon as the economy gets better many will jump ship.