Westpac Banking

www.westpac.com.au

Westpac Banking Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014
Westpac Banking – Sydney – “Westpac Community Day”

Westpac Banking Managing Director and CEO Gail P. Kelly

Gail P. Kelly

Pros
  • Good Work/Life Balance, really suited to people with families(in 17 reviews)

• plenty of opportunities, large organisation(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No responsibility taken by senior management - finger is always pointed at others(in 7 reviews)

• This is the domestic commercial bank for people who want work life balance(in 3 reviews)

Good company with solid grwoth profile but lots of red tape

ProsGreat CSR record and DNA within the organisation

ConsRestructures every 4-6 months make it hard for real progress to be made

Advice to Senior ManagementHang onto your good people

interesting

Credit Manager (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsGood working conditions, flexible employer, structures becoming very flat which creates a void for promotion with middle to senior management within increasingly difficult to obtain , hence why so many staff interchange between major employees - to get advancement

ConsRewards for Sales people in Management & Senior Management far greater then to those in direct face to face roles - needs to be a better balance of Reward. If not in sales, likely miss out on variable payment, even though KPI's met

Advice to Senior Managementmore equitable slice of Bonus pool to the actual front line

Good benefits and work/ life balance but not a place to be inspired

ProsLarge organisation with lots of opportunities for a varied career across a different departments. Many employees have built their entire career at Westpac .
    Reasonable pay & rewards
    Good for promoting women in leadership
    Good work/ life balance

ConsSlow pace, general lack of urgency
    Decision by committee can be challenging when trying to deliver at pace
    Old organisation with old processes and ways of doing things. You are encouraged to " challenge the status quo " but when you have the courage to do this it can sometimes become quite a hostile environment.
    Lack of team work, team camaraderie across departments - lots of silos

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, a good balance

Senior Finance Analyst (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsThe culture, values and focus on being on of the world's great companies means that Westpac can be a fantastic place to work. Anybody willing to put the effort in can progress far by building their networks and proactively seeking out new opportunities.

ConsCorporate politics has a tendency of creeping into the yearly performance appraisal process, meaning that overall fantastic performance can be overshadowed (and even negated) by comparatively minor issues. The tendency of Finance towards reducing head count while at the same time increasing workloads will, I feel, eventually backfire for the organisation.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuestion your staff engagement results rather than just taking them at face value. There may be underlying issues you are not seeing.

Awesome

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- positive attitude
    - egos checked

Cons- total comp needs work
    - hours can be long

Advice to Senior Managementbenchmark total comp

A good balance of competitive and flexible work life style

IT Programmer Manager (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsWestpac has embraced flexible and diverse work practices which make it a great place for anybody to work hard and achieve their personal goals, within their corporate and personal lives.

ConsIn many specialized areas the bulk of people are from outsourced providers which reduce the depth of experience one can gain and the opportunity for rapid advancement (again increase in salary as you are competing with a commodity workforce)

Great solutions shame about the bureaurocracy

Business Development Manager (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsGreat technology capabilities to deliver real value to customers.
    Fantastic staff benefits - particularly the generous 3 month full pay Paternity Leave.

ConsRisk averse organisation
    More concerned about internal perception than client needs
    Too much red tape limiting speed to market and real innovation

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to manage upward and understand that when a title involves leadership, one should try to lead rather than manage perception.

Political savviness a big plus

Head of Specific Area (Current Employee)

ProsVery flexible work environment. Very collaborative within business units, though challenging to identify opportunities and collaborate across BUs. This is improving dramatically and could be a long-term shift. Currently there is plenty of "us and them" internally and the politics are not for the faint of heart.

ConsProbably true in any large corporation, but there is little collaboration, and in fact outright competition, at the GM level.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people, be willing to challenge and debate rather than mandate.

Great Company

ProsWork life balance + Benefits + Share options.

ConsNone...the place is really good.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it real as you have been.

Overall a good company to work for

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

Pros- Great flexibility such as work from home etc.
    - Lots of internal opportunities but obviously will have to go through the normal job application process
    - Great employee benefits

Cons- Pay scale bit low compared to other banks
    - Training opportunities depends on your manager
    - Pay rise not consistent across the divisions

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much politics at Senior Management level but I guess it is the norm in corporate world!!! Wish they would work together more for the company rather than building their own empire.

Worked for Westpac Banking? Contribute to the Community!