Westpac Banking Reviews

Reset
3.4
Brian Hartzer
1 Rating

Pros
  • Excellent work place culture & work-life-balance (in 19 reviews)

• Some great people, socially the organisation is very focused on community etc, lots of staff involvement in charity works etc (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No responsibility taken by senior management - finger is always pointed at others (in 7 reviews)

• This is the domestic commercial bank for people who want work life balance (in 4 reviews)

1. Operations Officer

Current Contractor - Operational Risk Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Contractor - Operational Risk Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Westpac Banking as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good environment, generally supportive leadership, lots of areas of the business to grow in, constantly changing

Cons

Every section of the business is different, but very few cons generally, apart from corporate politics and the extremely complicated reporting structure.

2. IT Stream Lead

Current Employee - IT Stream Lead in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - IT Stream Lead in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Westpac Banking full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great brand name. Dynamic at times.

Cons

Heavily under invested in IT. Not enough project pipeline. Very low quality of PM caliber.

3. Product Support Manager

Current Employee - Product Support Manager in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Product Support Manager in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Westpac Banking full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great employee share schemes, interest free loans etc. Good environment for learning new skills like SQL, SAS, financials etc. Broad range of roles and people are generally friendly. Can make lifelong friends.

Cons

Your wage is determined by how often you are willing to jump into other opportunities. Tendency to have many "lifers" that impede development and contribute to generational gaps in some teams. Politics and arbitrary budget cutting curtails opportunities and innovation.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the habit of cutting project budgeting by half midway through a project. Ensure fair funding and stop paying consultants to party.

5. Lead by example

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Westpac Banking full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, great people being run by senior leaders who need to get in touch with the actual business they run.

Cons

Keep up the focus on the customer and be courageous in the upcoming restructures.

Advice to Management

Brian Hartzer needs to ensure his own team get more involved in the businesses they run one in particular has not been visible for 5 years!!! and the staff know it.

6. Change at the top

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Westpac Banking (More than 5 years)

Pros

Safer than an investment bank and some quality people below management.

Cons

New management lack real experience so will fall back on cost cutting. Has no real niche.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending to be on Wall Street!

7. Business anslyst

Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Westpac Banking as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours and friendly culture

Cons

Red tape can make decision making difficult

8. Bad culture, bad management

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Westpac Banking full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bank products, salary if well negotiated, job stability

Cons

unrealistic/unachievable KPIs, Bad performance management, bad culture

Advice to Management

Take better care of the good people you have, get rid of political games, increase recognition and benefits to keep the human capital.

9. Dont trust raise promises unless you get possession of the promise in writing

Former Employee - Information Security Architect in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Information Security Architect in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Westpac Banking full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some flexibility on work life balance Job security for people with no drive I hear working in salt-mines is worse

Cons

"Changes in the last few years meant that [I] would not be getting a hardcopy [of a promised raise]'." As it turns out - if you don't have a copy of any promised raise, don't expect to get it. The time-frame it should've occurred came and went without a change, I'd gotten sick of the problems and left before realizing I'd been stiffed for a few months - at that point, without it in writing I had no way to fight it. No career progression, opportunity for it, no training to further your career, or even actionable feedback - if they're always 'so happy with your work' why is it so hard to progress your career. They have a job framework from hell, which they blame for why nobody can earn market-rate pay. Within 4hrs of deciding to rage-quit I'd lined up a job for greater than 1.5x the pay, at a better respected company. The counter offer I received from Westpac was less than I should've been on from the recent raise, though the delivery of this offer was so deadpan I didn't know if it was fair to feel completely insulted; it seemed the expectation from my manager was that I would consider it. Promises that managers will support your decisions are not true in practice. I'd still like to know if a decision I made which was entirely devalued by my own management despite still being, I think, the right choice, was also responsible for my career being stunted for years - without answers or feedback I was never able to find out. In no way should that've been a career limiting move - there were no real impacts other than me being made to look ridiculous internally. The employee benefits provide very little benefit. Home loans offered to staff are much worse than what's advertised in the market for example. The only usable benefit was no bank fees, which has very small value compared to what other companies offer. I used to very much buy into the values. In Gail Kelley (former CEO)'s time I felt much of the authenticity of this was stripped from the inside as the bank was made into exclusively a profit-making machine. The values at this point have been 'just words' for some time. It might be well suited to people who are happy to just have a job and have no drive to progress. As it was for me I feel like wool was pulled over my eyes for years by me not wanting to make waves with people I thought were my friends rather than my managers and such.

Advice to Management

If you promise things like raises to people, give it to them in writing.

10. Westpac - opportunities and challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Westpac Banking full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunities to move around Some great projects and great people

Cons

Some severely dysfunctional 'support' areas in head office make it difficult to achieve anything Lack of project management discipline throughout Lots of senior people who get by on talking the talk, but not delivering

Advice to Management

Support areas need to learn about integration and customer service Get project management in place throughout

11. Pick up your game

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Westpac Banking full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great for people with kids and working mothers

Cons

Pushing people harder an harder since the GFC. Less people to do more work with expectation that people need to perform more. This is all well and good but there is no commensurate reward for effort given. Also no prospects to move as no one in more senior roles are moving. This means people are losing morale and organisation as a whole is becoming stale.

Advice to Management

Start focusing on employees as much as you do customers!

RSS Feed </> Embed