Westwood College

Updated September 14, 2014
Updated September 14, 2014
2.8

Dean Gouin

Pros
  • Also, the assistant deans who manage the instructors are great people (in 6 reviews)

• Got to know some good people who processed loans and such (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Many students never see that salary upon graduation and default on their loans (in 6 reviews)

• School has a bad reputation and just tries to shove it under the rug (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

If you hit your metrics you will do great!

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Westwood College full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation, Office environment with the ability to leave your office if need be, friendly staff members, Majority of employees are always looking out for the students and their best interests which provides success for the student and the school

Cons

Some members of management are two-faced and manipulative making it hard to withstand for a long time, Metrics are high even during a drought of a mindset that education is worth it

You have to change with the times and the mindsets of the demographic. Cannot continue using methods from 10 years ago because education was viewed differently then.

The experience has been refreshing and rewarding.

Current Employee - Library Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Library Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Westwood College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Helping others and the overall quality of people.

Cons

There are not enough hours and pay.

Loved it!

Former Employee - FWS in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - FWS in Chicago, IL

I worked at Westwood College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work around.

Cons

Limited hours. Limited advancement opportunities.

None

Sunny at times, but mostly shady

Former Employee - Senior Admission Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Admission Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Westwood College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Decent pay. I got in when they were able to monetarily reward their admissions representatives for good performance. New incoming employees may not think the pay is decent now that they have a new pay structure.
    -For the most part it was a fun atmosphere until they got into trouble for employing a few bad apples in their admissions and financial aid departments. Then it felt like you were walking through a field of land mines.
    -The career focused, small class sizes, accelerated format is a great fit for some people.

Cons

- Everything in admissions is scripted, so you will always feel on edge about saying exactly the right things in exactly the right way. Ever since they got into trouble we were observed and secret shopped constantly.
    -Your calls are monitored, so expect to make 75 calls a day, and expect to answer to why you did not make that many the next day if you fail to do so. The director of admissions will also record your calls and make sure you are following the phone script. Periodically, they will send you recordings of your phone calls, so you must always be on your game.
    -There is major favoritism. As a newcomer, expect to call off of call sheets that are a couple of months old. You will be calling prospects that the more senior representatives could not convert into students. The quality of prospects you will receive will depend on your "numbers", so don't have a bad class because you will most likely be punished by not getting any quality prospects. And then you will be grilled for your continued poor performance even though they know the types of leads they are providing you.
    -The school is very expensive. Students leave with a lot more debt than if they went to a not for profit institution. The Westwood College student default rate is extremely poor. They target the low income, first generation college student and charge them extremely high tuition.
    -The benefits are not very good.

Run the college more like a school and less like a business. I get they are for profit, but they could be very profitable while still maintaining their integrity. There is a market for the service they provide. If they would just concentrate on the quality of the education, and less on how many nickels they can squeeze out of people, they would be much more successful. The career focused programs are an excellent fit for some people, but they are pushing the boundaries of how much they can get away with charging. They are also pushing the boundaries of how much their accreditation will continue to tolerate. Thus the probation status they find some of their campuses in.

I worked there

Former Employee - Program Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Program Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Westwood College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Teaching the students and helping them.

Cons

For profit institution. Shady recruitment, hard to face students being ripped off. Administration only cares about profits.

None

Strong Educational Product with Enticing Chicago Experience for Out of State HS Students.

Current Employee - High School Field Admissions Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - High School Field Admissions Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Westwood College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, Reviews, Bachelor Programs Offered for HS Students, Training.

Cons

Manager bullied staff. The week after qualifying and receiving a $2k raise after my first 6 months my HSDOA said multiple times he really hoped he made the right decision and that I would prove it. Also would call early on Saturday and demand activity and make statements against family time church etc. and would often use cuss words inappropriately on one on one calls. Staff meetings he was a lot better because others were around. It is sad I had this experience because after 11 months I needed to resign after the above tactics and him saying "I never jumped $20k in 1 yr by sitting on my ass eating Cheetos watching movies with my wife and kids I had to get out there and work!" also the straw that broke the camels back was "I love God with all my heart but God doesn't pay my f*****g bills" Although an amazing salesman and great trainer who I learned a lot from and enjoyed everything about the product and company I was selling for, he was just too old school bi-polar militant leadership style that although I was 5 hrs away in St Louis recruiting for Chicago and making it happen needed to re-sign to keep my values in perspective.

Know your people.

Eh. They are going to shut down soon anyway.

I worked at Westwood College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My Admissions Director was the main reason I stayed for so long. The man CARES about his employees. Don't see that much in sales.

Cons

Cut throat. And when I say cut throat I don't mean fellow employees jump on your leads every so often 'by mistake'. I mean you better call your leads like 500 times to get that answer because if you don't...you have like 8 other reps calling FROM YOUR SCHOOL. Your Assistant Director? The one whos the 'biggest team player'? Yeah..he's got time tables/Outlook reminders of when to call all of his Admin. reps leads. People who have been there for more than a couple years know the tricks. If you don't-you'll sink quick. The vets want you out so more lead rotation goes in their favor. More new people-more leads for them. Get ready too-youll have rules but vets don't follow them. I would suggest you play dumb and play their game. "oh im sorry I called him by accident! I enrolled him because I had NO idea!...you can have my lead list if you want!' (that have already been called 50+ times)

Programs WW SAYS they offer...and the ones they actually do. If they don't have enough kids-they cancel the program for that term. Oh and expect to be selling over 80k/year programs When these kids/adults will MAYBE make...12 bucks an hour? At a high? Good luck convincing because a lot of these people cant even pay for a 2.50 blue line ride let alone make payments for school (which by the way-WILL happen. Rare they get most/all covered) And the Career Services? Only will help your student get a job IF it helps them. There is a certain time span they have. If the student doesn't fall in it-oh well. They will just avoid them and not return their calls. Then they will cancel/drop because well...cant get a job.

The hours aren't great. 8pm at night? Really?

Regardless-for profit is going to Hell. Westwood is going under...so if you want a OK paycheck to tie you over for a bit, go for it.

Education and Admissions needs to see a common ground somewhere. The departments work against each other. And PS: don't call is Admission Representative. Call it Admissions Sales. Admissions Recruiter. No ethics/no care give me your money Representative.

ok

I worked at Westwood College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

very nice people to work with

Cons

some people have no clue on life

Telemarketing. Not Advising.

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Westwood College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I get along great with my team and director.
    Ok pay.
    Good PTO (if you can use it)

Cons

Goals are very un practical
    late hours
    AG suit-so enrolling and even 'career orientations' are very difficult...not sure IL campuses will be around in the near future...?
    lots of un ethical tactics have to happen it seems to be successful
    not enough leads-too many people-its like one carcus and 10 voltures. and then the leads get killed by feeling bombarded.

Dont let senority take over the newbies. Don't just slap their wrist when you see what they are doing on a policy breaking standpoint.

Westwood College Photos