Westwood College Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Dean Gouin

Pros
  • Great co-workers who seem to believe in what they are doing (in 4 reviews)

• Great people that work there, pay is really good (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The main goal is to enroll as many students and have them start for classes so that the school can collect federal financial aid from the students (in 7 reviews)

• That's means it's no room to make money substituting other classes (in 4 reviews)

1. Friendly Enviroment

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Westwood College (Less than a year)

Pros

Professional Staff and Students make teaching worth while.

Cons

Not enough hours if you want full time employment. .

2. Assistant Systems Administrator

Former Employee - Assistant Systems Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Systems Administrator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Westwood College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Assist the Campus System Administrator with daily duties, future planning and resolving Help Desk tickets, essential duties and responsibilities.

Cons

I was so busy working 2 jobs and going to school, I didn't have a chance to get ant certifications.

3. Biggest mistake I ever made.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Faculty and staff genuinely care about the students despite their treatment from management.

Cons

College worries more about money than they do about students. Retention is important, but this campus president takes it to an extreme and is known for going off on rampages. Forces faculty and staff to call any student who misses a class. Students receive many calls and respond that they feel 'stalked.' Rumors are constantly heard about the colleges financial struggles and possible campus closures. Definitely an environment of fear.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at the leadership at this campus. You may see results, but at what expense.

Scam from top to bottom

I worked at Westwood College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros working for Westwood College...

Cons

This is a sales environment PERIOD. It is a for profit organization and it is ran as such. They push the Admissions Representatives to enroll students...mind you they charge the student 30K for a Medical Assistants certificate that the student can get at a community college for 6k. 40K for an associates degree. They really only care about the student for the first 14 days because for the sales team that is when the school closes the books on the enrollment. They are the students best friends until the start. They have ok Instructors....its not their fault the have to work for the scum of the earth. If you want to test the waters go ahead....they will use the 30 day commitment sales pitch. They have this one goof at their Ohara Campus that will call you and pressure you into staying enrolled. He refers to the students as "these people." He mirrors the Executive Management Team. They found a way to bilk the people who want education and over charge them for an education you can get a community college which is better. Be cautious of the demon that shows you everything in the presentation. Ask them how would their tuition affect your aggregate limits and who accepts their credits... The wont answer that question they have a pre-scripted response. Westwood College credits re unlikely to transfer...blah blah blah....

Advice to Management

They don't care....they make money because they do not have stock holders to answer to, only the Executives in Denver. Meaning they are raking in money at the top.

If you hit your metrics you will do great!

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Westwood College full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Compensation, Office environment with the ability to leave your office if need be, friendly staff members, Majority of employees are always looking out for the students and their best interests which provides success for the student and the school

Cons

Some members of management are two-faced and manipulative making it hard to withstand for a long time, Metrics are high even during a drought of a mindset that education is worth it

Advice to Management

You have to change with the times and the mindsets of the demographic. Cannot continue using methods from 10 years ago because education was viewed differently then.

The experience has been refreshing and rewarding.

Current Employee - Library Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Library Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Westwood College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping others and the overall quality of people.

Cons

There are not enough hours and pay.

8. Loved it!

Former Employee - FWS in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - FWS in Chicago, IL

I worked at Westwood College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work around.

Cons

Limited hours. Limited advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

None

9. Sunny at times, but mostly shady

Former Employee - Senior Admission Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Admission Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Westwood College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Decent pay. I got in when they were able to monetarily reward their admissions representatives for good performance. New incoming employees may not think the pay is decent now that they have a new pay structure. -For the most part it was a fun atmosphere until they got into trouble for employing a few bad apples in their admissions and financial aid departments. Then it felt like you were walking through a field of land mines. -The career focused, small class sizes, accelerated format is a great fit for some people.

Cons

- Everything in admissions is scripted, so you will always feel on edge about saying exactly the right things in exactly the right way. Ever since they got into trouble we were observed and secret shopped constantly. -Your calls are monitored, so expect to make 75 calls a day, and expect to answer to why you did not make that many the next day if you fail to do so. The director of admissions will also record your calls and make sure you are following the phone script. Periodically, they will send you recordings of your phone calls, so you must always be on your game. -There is major favoritism. As a newcomer, expect to call off of call sheets that are a couple of months old. You will be calling prospects that the more senior representatives could not convert into students. The quality of prospects you will receive will depend on your "numbers", so don't have a bad class because you will most likely be punished by not getting any quality prospects. And then you will be grilled for your continued poor performance even though they know the types of leads they are providing you. -The school is very expensive. Students leave with a lot more debt than if they went to a not for profit institution. The Westwood College student default rate is extremely poor. They target the low income, first generation college student and charge them extremely high tuition. -The benefits are not very good.

Advice to Management

Run the college more like a school and less like a business. I get they are for profit, but they could be very profitable while still maintaining their integrity. There is a market for the service they provide. If they would just concentrate on the quality of the education, and less on how many nickels they can squeeze out of people, they would be much more successful. The career focused programs are an excellent fit for some people, but they are pushing the boundaries of how much they can get away with charging. They are also pushing the boundaries of how much their accreditation will continue to tolerate. Thus the probation status they find some of their campuses in.

10. I worked there

Former Employee - Program Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Program Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Westwood College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Teaching the students and helping them.

Cons

For profit institution. Shady recruitment, hard to face students being ripped off. Administration only cares about profits.

Advice to Management

None

Eh. They are going to shut down soon anyway.

I worked at Westwood College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My Admissions Director was the main reason I stayed for so long. The man CARES about his employees. Don't see that much in sales.

Cons

Cut throat. And when I say cut throat I don't mean fellow employees jump on your leads every so often 'by mistake'. I mean you better call your leads like 500 times to get that answer because if you don't...you have like 8 other reps calling FROM YOUR SCHOOL. Your Assistant Director? The one whos the 'biggest team player'? Yeah..he's got time tables/Outlook reminders of when to call all of his Admin. reps leads. People who have been there for more than a couple years know the tricks. If you don't-you'll sink quick. The vets want you out so more lead rotation goes in their favor. More new people-more leads for them. Get ready too-youll have rules but vets don't follow them. I would suggest you play dumb and play their game. "oh im sorry I called him by accident! I enrolled him because I had NO idea!...you can have my lead list if you want!' (that have already been called 50+ times) Programs WW SAYS they offer...and the ones they actually do. If they don't have enough kids-they cancel the program for that term. Oh and expect to be selling over 80k/year programs When these kids/adults will MAYBE make...12 bucks an hour? At a high? Good luck convincing because a lot of these people cant even pay for a 2.50 blue line ride let alone make payments for school (which by the way-WILL happen. Rare they get most/all covered) And the Career Services? Only will help your student get a job IF it helps them. There is a certain time span they have. If the student doesn't fall in it-oh well. They will just avoid them and not return their calls. Then they will cancel/drop because well...cant get a job. The hours aren't great. 8pm at night? Really? Regardless-for profit is going to Hell. Westwood is going under...so if you want a OK paycheck to tie you over for a bit, go for it.

Advice to Management

Education and Admissions needs to see a common ground somewhere. The departments work against each other. And PS: don't call is Admission Representative. Call it Admissions Sales. Admissions Recruiter. No ethics/no care give me your money Representative.

RSS Feed </> Embed