Westwood College

www.westwood.edu

Westwood College Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Westwood College – Westminster – “Trail Clean Up”

Dean Gouin

Pros
  • Got to know some good people who processed loans and such(in 5 reviews)

• Also, the assistant deans who manage the instructors are great people(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Many students never see that salary upon graduation and default on their loans(in 6 reviews)

• School has a bad reputation and just tries to shove it under the rug(in 5 reviews)

Disappointing management of curriculum, instructor assignments, and inability to meet HLC Standards.

Program Chair (Former Employee)

ProsGreat student facing admissions representatives and teachers.

ConsVery poor administration at the Dean, Registrar, and Campus Leadership. Bad marketing.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet involved, find good administrators, provide programs the public needs. Teach out Criminal Justice programs.

Great Place to WORK

ProsPositive atmosphere, Everyone is always nice, Great Boss

ConsNO cons on my end

I worked there

Program Director (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsTeaching the students and helping them.

ConsFor profit institution. Shady recruitment, hard to face students being ripped off. Administration only cares about profits.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very rewarding the experience was great.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFelt supported, materials were always available and current, there was a good feeling among faculty members, and expectations from staff were always explained thoroughly. Never felt uncomfortable when I was uncertain, there was always resourceful guidance available from fellow faculty and administrators.

ConsJob was only part time, many students had unrealistic entitlement issues, no benefits, and a few classes had a few too many students.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job, when staff feels supported and resources for teaching are current and available teachers will produce a better product and students benefit. Good job Westwood!!!

My experience at Westwood College has been rewarding.

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsSome of the best reasons to work at Westwood College is the fact you interact with a diverse and intelligent student body and the environment/atmosphere is inviting.

ConsSome of the reasons for not working at Westwood College includes their marginal salaries and advancement may not come as quickly as one may desire.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen vacant positions need to be filled, look more to your adjunct faculty staff to fill those positions.

Don't work here if you care about Education

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Woodridge, IL

ProsDecent pay. Close to home. Got to know some good people who processed loans and such. They flew me to Denver for training too.

ConsI accepted a position there because I genuinely care about students. I have a degree in education and when the economy tanked, this was a good option. Sometimes I wonder if that's the only reason they hired me--so they could tell their critics that their staff has education experience.

At the beginning of every semester, there are these intense meetings for 14 days straight, at least an hour or more each day. All of the department heads would have to attend. The purpose of that meeting? To figure out why student A, B or C hasn't processed their paperwork for their loans/grants/military benefits yet. Why 14 days? Because that's the magic number of days that the federal government requires a student to be attending class before they will send the loan and grant money to a college. The saying was "We need asses in classes."

After 14-days, I was told to stop caring about those students I had just recruited and start recruiting new ones for the next session. The only reason I should be talking to old students is to get names and phone numbers of new people to recruit.

We received incentive pay for meeting and exceeding recruiting goals. It’s technically against the law for any school receiving federal funds to have quotas for their admissions recruiters. Westwood will tell you that the goals are “incentives.” If it’s just that, then why are there trophies and plaques and exotic trips for reps who have the highest recruiting numbers?

Westwood has been trying to get Regional Accreditation (the highest standard available) for years. Whenever the accreditation people would visit, we'd have to take down our plaques and trophies.

Everything that we did was for the ultimate goal of getting that big fat loan check from the government or a bank. I felt like I was brainwashed. Every time I questioned a recruiting tactic, they would tell me that I was being to "cerebral".

My director told me to say things like, "Oh, you said your 7th grade English teacher really supports you going to college. Do you think she would co-sign a loan for you?"

In the end, they fired me for not meeting my sales goals. That was the best thing that could have happened to me. I look back and I feel like I sold my soul.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pretending you care about students and their future. You don't. Period.

Worst employer I've ever had.

ProsOther than being employed with a salary there were no pros to working here.

ConsToo many to list, but note they are often embroiled in legal battles regarding misrepresentation of their services. This is a for-profit organization that's all about the money. Employees are a dime a dozen and they could care less about the students.

Avoid Westwood College like a Plague!

Full-Time Instructor (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsClose to home. Easy driving.

ConsProfit oriented and they don't care about student success.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't care about student, get out of this business.

I worked in admissions and as a trainer for over 3 years

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsReally excellent training department when I was there. They really make sure their employees know the job. Also, this is one of the funnest places I ever worked, in terms of working with great co-workers.

ConsIt's a nationally accredited university which means the education does little to nothing for the students we were enrolling. It's hard to stomach at the end of the day. There are also aggressive sales tactics and clever ways we are taught to not tell students about the detriment of going to a nationally accredited college.

Nice place to work in

ProsGood pay and more flexible rules

ConsLike any Private college, Profit is first

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more restrictions on admissions

Worked for Westwood College? Contribute to the Community!