Westwood College
www.westwood.edu Denver, CO 500 to 999 Employees

Westwood College Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014
Westwood College – Westminster – “Trail Clean Up”

Dean Gouin

Pros:
  • "Got to know some good people who processed loans and such"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Also, the assistant deans who manage the instructors are great people"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Many students never see that salary upon graduation and default on their loans"
    in 6 reviews
  • "School has a bad reputation and just tries to shove it under the rug"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Don't work here if you care about Education

Woodridge, IL

ProsDecent pay. Close to home. Got to know some good people who processed loans and such. They flew me to Denver for training too.

ConsI accepted a position there because I genuinely care about students. I have a degree in education and when the economy tanked, this was a good option. Sometimes I wonder if that's the only reason they hired me--so they could tell their critics that their staff has education experience.

At the beginning of every semester, there are these intense meetings for 14 days straight, at least an hour or more each day. All of the department heads would have to attend. The purpose of that meeting? To figure out why student A, B or C hasn't processed their paperwork for their loans/grants/military benefits yet. Why 14 days? Because that's the magic number of days that the federal government requires a student to be attending class before they will send the loan and grant money to a college. The saying was "We need asses in classes."

After 14-days, I was told to stop caring about those students I had just recruited and start recruiting new ones for the next session. The only reason I should be talking to old students is to get names and phone numbers of new people to recruit.

We received incentive pay for meeting and exceeding recruiting goals. It’s technically against the law for any school receiving federal funds to have quotas for their admissions recruiters. Westwood will tell you that the goals are “incentives.” If it’s just that, then why are there trophies and plaques and exotic trips for reps who have the highest recruiting numbers?

Westwood has been trying to get Regional Accreditation (the highest standard available) for years. Whenever the accreditation people would visit, we'd have to take down our plaques and trophies.

Everything that we did was for the ultimate goal of getting that big fat loan check from the government or a bank. I felt like I was brainwashed. Every time I questioned a recruiting tactic, they would tell me that I was being to "cerebral".

My director told me to say things like, "Oh, you said your 7th grade English teacher really supports you going to college. Do you think she would co-sign a loan for you?"

In the end, they fired me for not meeting my sales goals. That was the best thing that could have happened to me. I look back and I feel like I sold my soul.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop pretending you care about students and their future. You don't. Period.

I worked there

Program Director (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsTeaching the students and helping them.

ConsFor profit institution. Shady recruitment, hard to face students being ripped off. Administration only cares about profits.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

I worked in admissions and as a trainer for over 3 years

Denver, CO

ProsReally excellent training department when I was there. They really make sure their employees know the job. Also, this is one of the funnest places I ever worked, in terms of working with great co-workers.

ConsIt's a nationally accredited university which means the education does little to nothing for the students we were enrolling. It's hard to stomach at the end of the day. There are also aggressive sales tactics and clever ways we are taught to not tell students about the detriment of going to a nationally accredited college.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst employer I've ever had.

ProsOther than being employed with a salary there were no pros to working here.

ConsToo many to list, but note they are often embroiled in legal battles regarding misrepresentation of their services. This is a for-profit organization that's all about the money. Employees are a dime a dozen and they could care less about the students.

Avoid Westwood College like a Plague!

Full-Time Instructor (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsClose to home. Easy driving.

ConsProfit oriented and they don't care about student success.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't care about student, get out of this business.

Nice place to work in

ProsGood pay and more flexible rules

ConsLike any Private college, Profit is first

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more restrictions on admissions

It was very rewarding helping students earn a degree who may not have had a chance othewise.

Westminster, CO

ProsGetting to know students personally and helping them on their journey to earn their degree and change their lives.

ConsA lot of emphasis is placed on and enrollment being a "sale" where the human value and importance of education can be lost.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart truely investing more in the student experience and not just talking about it. A lot can be lost when there are "too many hands in the pot" i.e. too many people the student has to communicate with and work with. It also spreads accountability too thin and widents inter departmental friction

Excellent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood culture, good people who care

ConsSome Shiloh’s, need more branding

Advice to Senior ManagementAs company grows -very good

Unhappy with treatment as an Adjunct Professor

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsOrganized Online Learning system set up.

Cons-Doesn't offer long time faculty advancement or professional development.
    -Makes faculty follow strict grading schedule with unrealistic deadlines.
    -Doesn't offer good faculty an increase in pay after years of service.
    -Places too many students in one class.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer payment incentives for years of service. Offer online adjuncts an opportunity for growth.

Good first sales position

Admissions Representative (Current Employee)
    Westminster, CO

ProsGreat people, my manager was one of the few managers that cares and respected me.

ConsThey fire a lot of people and promote idiots. Increase in Daley ends at 1 year and 6 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetention should be your top priority. Instead you lose your good employees and have to retrain new hires. This is not a successful practice.

Worked for Westwood College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Westwood College reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Westwood College CEO Dean Gouin. All 92 reviews posted anonymously by Westwood College employees.