Westwood College

www.westwood.edu

Westwood College Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014
Westwood College – Westminster – “Trail Clean Up”

Dean Gouin

Pros
  • Got to know some good people who processed loans and such(in 5 reviews)

• Also, the assistant deans who manage the instructors are great people(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Many students never see that salary upon graduation and default on their loans(in 6 reviews)

• School has a bad reputation and just tries to shove it under the rug(in 5 reviews)

It was very rewarding helping students earn a degree who may not have had a chance othewise.

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Westminster, CO

ProsGetting to know students personally and helping them on their journey to earn their degree and change their lives.

ConsA lot of emphasis is placed on and enrollment being a "sale" where the human value and importance of education can be lost.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart truely investing more in the student experience and not just talking about it. A lot can be lost when there are "too many hands in the pot" i.e. too many people the student has to communicate with and work with. It also spreads accountability too thin and widents inter departmental friction

Excellent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood culture, good people who care

ConsSome Shiloh’s, need more branding

Advice to Senior ManagementAs company grows -very good

Unhappy with treatment as an Adjunct Professor

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsOrganized Online Learning system set up.

Cons-Doesn't offer long time faculty advancement or professional development.
    -Makes faculty follow strict grading schedule with unrealistic deadlines.
    -Doesn't offer good faculty an increase in pay after years of service.
    -Places too many students in one class.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer payment incentives for years of service. Offer online adjuncts an opportunity for growth.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good first sales position

Admissions Representative (Current Employee) Westminster, CO

ProsGreat people, my manager was one of the few managers that cares and respected me.

ConsThey fire a lot of people and promote idiots. Increase in Daley ends at 1 year and 6 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetention should be your top priority. Instead you lose your good employees and have to retrain new hires. This is not a successful practice.

It was great at first, until they get tired of you

Student Services Advisor (Current Employee) Upland, CA

ProsCompensation was pretty good for a for-profit school. And as long as you work there, you get to go to school there for free, minus book fees.

ConsEven if you're doing a good job and being productive, if your manager or the president of the campus are tired of you, or seeing you everyday, you might as well start looking elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust do your job (well) and don't have biased opinions of your employees based on things outside of their workload.

Sweatshop environment, low ethics, encouraged manipulate prospective students.

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsIf you are good with people this is a place you can use your skills, but there are many more places that will treat you better and pay better too

ConsPoor products, deceptive marketing techniques, incomplete training, no long-term invesment with their own people

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to actually be a college for the sake of providing education for non-traditional students. This market segment already needs more help in the work force. You are not providing a product or service that will benefit this type of student in the long run given the quality of the education and costs associated with Westwood College Online.

Not good at all at anytime

Admissions Representative (Former Employee) Westminster, CO

ProsMost of the fellow employees work nice to work with.

ConsEverything the job required was terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making people do bad things to other less fortunate people.

Employees' Experience

Education (Former Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsThe college should be focus on student and staff success because everyone wants to succeed in life or their career.

ConsManagement behavior is improper, never supportive of their employees' just judge them. Training is not an option. Employees' pay for their own educational advancement without reimbursement and attend meetings without pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagment should work with their employees' in order to create a better team, instead of replacing them when the employee make a mistake everyone can change if given the opportunity. Management is very judgemental, not supportive.

THEY CARE NOTHING FOR ACADEMICS, ONLY BOTTOM LINE

Full-Time Instructor (Former Employee)

ProsThere are very few pros. Most of the pros relate to the few instructors who are diligent and caring educators and the few students who are turned on to learning and really thirst for an educational opportunity.

ConsThe school has a corporate mindset. Academics are not terribly important, getting the student's dollar is all-important. Once the school has the student's government loans in hand, they are completely unconcerned about the student's educational success.
    Faculty are treated like office equipment and are afforded all the collegiality from management that a stapler would receive. The administration plays fast and loose with accreditation requirements and will actually frequently lie to students regarding the difference between national and regional accreditation. The administration hires many adjuncts rather than full time faculty so they don't have to provide reasonable pay or benefits, so the instruction is hit-and-miss at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange culture; act like an educational institution. Treat students and employees with regard and integrity.

I've been very impressed by the progress of the institution and I support the direction it is headed.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsI've been lucky to work closely with people who genuinely care about doing the right thing and serving the students and graduates of the college. Every campus I've visited has an extremely positive and welcoming environment, run by people who believe in their students. There are so many programs that are created to enhance the culture of the organization and add to the community of everyone who works for and attends the school. I've worked for other companies that have reacted poorly to some pretty challenging situations and the way I've observed Westwood handling their specific challenges is very impressive and promising. No organization is perfect, but the way the college aspires to be better is reflective of the truly good people who make it all work from the ground up.

ConsThe organization has some more work to do to build the culture of its employees, but I've seen improvement over the years and I believe it will continue to get better. There will always be individuals who choose to focus on the negatives in any organization, but overall if the leadership team listens to the faculty and staff and continues to make improvements that lead to better outcomes for students, I can't see any significant cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementHappy employees will make a successful organization. Listen to what your staff has to say and recognize them for their accomplishments. If you invest in them, they will invest in you. The people who have remained long-time employees of Westwood are good people who believe in what they are doing - supporting students so they can become successful. Make sure you do whatever you can do to support those employees.

Worked for Westwood College? Contribute to the Community!