Westwood College

Updated October 22, 2014
Updated October 22, 2014
2.8

Dean Gouin

Pros
  • Also, the assistant deans who manage the instructors are great people (in 6 reviews)

• Got to know some good people who processed loans and such (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Many students never see that salary upon graduation and default on their loans (in 6 reviews)

• School has a bad reputation and just tries to shove it under the rug (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

38 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

You'll make great friends... but that's about it

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Westwood College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people that work there, pay is really good

Cons

it will suck your soul, the school cost WAY too much, managers have no idea what they are doing, they run off all good reps and just hire new ones, completely number focused even though it is illegal. Also, there is no room for advancement or lateral movement what so ever.

A director should not be allowed to be in that position unless they have been a rep before, stop focusing on quantity of students and focus more on quality, a graduate pays more than a student who never even starts.

BEWARE

Former Employee - Online Admissions Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Online Admissions Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Westwood College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Co-workers were the best part of the job. I meet and worked with a lot of really amazing people working at West wood.Co-workers were amazing, helpful and friendly. I am grateful for gaining valuable sales experience that will be needed for future work with a real company. Yes, you do have the opportunity to help students change their lives through education, however you end up hurting far more students, than actually helping, in the process. You are responsible for getting students into school that are not ready for school, don't have the computer skills for online classes, no time for for school or really don't have the ability or desire to make it through school.

Cons

The admissions positions at West wood college is a revolving door for employees.Most employee's are let go within the first year due to not meeting their goals( Number of students they enroll) The metrics and standards set by the school are so tough that only a few representatives are able to meet them. The main goal is to enroll as many students and have them start for classes so that the school can collect federal financial aid from the students. Then get those students to take out loans to cover the remainder potion for the extremely overpriced school. For-profits schools in general, including West wood, needs a complete top to bottom overhaul or needs to cease to exist altogether.

Management should not have downsized to the point where only mediocre, lackluster and inexperienced people were moved into into senior management and executive positions- having no idea or ability on how to run a company. Also, It's a bad business practice to lay off over 100 people with absolutely no notice and no severance pay whatsoever.

Major Layoffs!

I worked at Westwood College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people! Smart, positive, and motivated individuals trying to help others. A nice balance of work/life, decent compensation, and the ability to go to school tuition-free.

Cons

Executives are greedy individuals who have very little regard for their employees. They just conducted a major lay-off with zero notice! Not good.

Don't make promises you can't or don't expect to keep.

Major layoffs recently of their best people! Ashamed I worked there for so long.

I worked at Westwood College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people hands down. By far have made some lifelong relationships with some incredibly decent, hardworking individuals.

Cons

I worked for Westwood for several years. As one of the consistently top performers I fought for a raise for almost 12 months and never saw it. They continuously told me they could not give raises based on performance, yet oddly enough they fire you if you do NOT perform to a specific metric; so you cannot be compensated based on performance but be FIRED based on performance. They wouldn't do the right thing by finding another "non performance" reason to give myself and other people the pay they deserved.

Even if money were not a factor, they refused to give me any other kind of valid recognition for my hard work- the only person who gave me even verbal accolades was my immediate supervisor. They created a culture of fear, stress and ZERO incentive other than to (fingers crossed) keep your job for another school term.

In addition there were other individuals making significantly more money than me who performed at a far lower level than myself- yet again what incentive was I given to do well? None, but I continued to work hard because that's simply who I am. And I am not alone in this- many other people still did work hard because somehow this company, however undeserving they are, was lucky enough to have some amazing employees with incredible work ethic. Aaaand then they just laid off those who worked the hardest and brought in the most business for them, including a large amount of tenured representatives...instead keeping employees in what has been the lowest performing center in Westwood online for several years.

Whatever financial crisis Westwood seems to be in, their big wigs seem to have no short of cash, they are simply greedy and shortsighted. This company is a sinking ship, and the best thing they could have done for me in the long run (certainly I was never going to see that pay raise) was to let me go. Onto bigger and better opportunities to work for a company that actually appreciates and recognizes hard work.

My heart breaks for all of the amazing people you just laid off. This was the only source of income for many talented people. For whatever decent people you do have left, my advice would be to hold onto them for dear life. Also think about using some of your Christmas bonuses to give even a small raise to people who actually deserve them. Your compensation plan needs a lot of work.

Admissions department.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Westwood College full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The salary and benefits were good.

Cons

As a Admissions representative you had to lie to get people to attend a school where the degree was not recognized, the cost for the programs outside of computers was not worth the money as the ROI was not there. You don't need a degree for a career that will only pay you $12.00 an hour and have over $60K in debt.

Provide solid creditable programs and get regional accreditation.

Management doesn't care about employees

Current Employee - Instructor in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Instructor in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Westwood College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great co workers, working with students.

Cons

Really don't want people to stay a long time, Took away long term benefits. Student numbers is all they care about. not the quality of the students, Admissions people lie about wages and jobs. No raises for last 4 years. Money from one program goes to other programs not back into one that's making it.

Better benefits, Better wages Listen to people when they try to tell them about problems.

Revolving door

Former Employee - Instructor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Instructor in Denver, CO

I worked at Westwood College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules
    Good peers
    Some really great students

Cons

Revolving door for management and peers, no continuity, management out-of-touch with classroom realities, no loyalty to staff

The students come for the teachers and staff. Value them accordingly.

Fun place to have spent my time!

Former Employee - Student Finance in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Student Finance in Westminster, CO

I worked at Westwood College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I built amazing relationships with staff.
    Had great hours and a flexible schedule.
    Was able to build on my skills by working with talented groups of people.

Cons

Income limitations.
    No 401K Matching.
    Benefits were only ok.

Been here for 7 years and it's been a very good experience

Current Employee - Marketing in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Marketing in Denver, CO

I have been working at Westwood College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The organization has a great mission and has helped thousands of students get the skills and training to find meaningful work. It is a collaborative environment and there is an openness to trying out new ideas.

Cons

The organization has gone trough a lot of regulatory and legal issues and at times has lost focus. This has also impacted the culture and we've seen a lot of great people leave the organization.

Different

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Westwood College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to obtain degree at a discounted price.

Cons

High turn-over. Little job stability.

Westwood College Photos