Westwood College Reviews

Updated March 21, 2015
124 reviews filtered by
2.6
Dean Gouin

Pros
  • Great co-workers who seem to believe in what they are doing (in 4 reviews)

• Also, the assistant deans who manage the instructors are great people (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Many students never see that salary upon graduation and default on their loans (in 7 reviews)

• School has a bad reputation and just tries to shove it under the rug (in 5 reviews)

1. Not bad, not good

Current Employee - FA Advisor in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - FA Advisor in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Westwood College

Pros

coworkers are fun, potlucks, sometimes they give you food

Cons

seriously though, don't work here

Go ahead and close. Get real jobs.

2. Great coworkers and faculty. Over-priced programs.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Westwood College

Pros

My coworkers were great and the faculty showed genuine interest in their students.

Cons

Although the faculty was great, the school was not regionally accredited like most state schools, but nationally accredited instead.

3. Great People

I worked at Westwood College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, they really care about team members and student outcome.

Cons

Bad decisions have left the company financially vulnerable. No job security at all.

Quit trying to be everything to everyone. The fact that you lay people off constantly makes employees feel insecure and turnover is high. Most people are doing more than one job and burnout is rampant. Figure out a business plan that works and stick to it.

5. Denver

I worked at Westwood College

Pros

None! They have taken away every benefit and given the employees nothing.

Cons

No raises in 4 years. Virtually zero benefits. Layoffs everywhere, every couple of months. Stay away!

Need a total restructure at the top.

6. Good Experience

I worked at Westwood College

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Glad for the experience, learned a lot. I was glad for the experience, but due to financial issues the company laid off many people.

Cons

Because of the pressure on all departments for enrollments and retention at times it was a difficult place to work. The tension often caused people to act unprofessionally.

Rather than have classes start 5 times per year change it to 4 starts. This will give everyone more time to work calmly and professionally with students and each other. The bottom line is always revenue, but remember how you make people feel will keep them coming back and bringing their friends. The fast paced tense environment is felt by everyone, including the students. Slow down and watch your profits grow with happy, satisfied, confident "clients".

7. Feels like I've worked here for 50 years...

I have been working at Westwood College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The views from the office of the flat irons are the best!

Cons

No raises for the last 4 years; benefits have increased to the point people are opting out of their benefits

8. Great campus!

I have been working at Westwood College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The People! It is great working with such a great group of staff and students.

Cons

Long hours. In order to complete the needed actions it can take more than standard working hours and time outside or work.

For corporate, listen to your employees at the campuses.

9. Biggest mistake I ever made.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Westwood College

Pros

Faculty and staff genuinely care about the students despite their treatment from management.

Cons

College worries more about money than they do about students. Retention is important, but this campus president takes it to an extreme and is known for going off on rampages. Forces faculty and staff to call any student who misses a class. Students receive many calls and respond that they feel 'stalked.' Rumors are constantly heard about the colleges financial struggles and possible campus closures. Definitely an environment of fear.

Take a hard look at the leadership at this campus. You may see results, but at what expense.

10. Design Faculty Experience

Current Employee - Instructor in Woodridge, IL
    Current Employee - Instructor in Woodridge, IL

I have been working at Westwood College

Pros

Over my long stay with the campus I have come to know a lot of talented and passionate students and faculty members. Insurance and salary used to be fairly good. I had the opportunity to open my lab so that groups of students could voluntarily work long hours on extracurricular projects. In the past, I would rate the workplace as a positive place where there is no shortage of opportunities to engage students.

Cons

Regulatory and legal problems abound and the student body is dwindling. There is little need for instructors since the student body has shrunken so drastically that it is likely that the campus will close. In recent years there has been a reduction in force and there are practically no benefits. Ratings will be very low if I base them on the current state of the campus.

11. Not A Place Where You Can Succeed

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Westwood College full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Every now and then you actually feel like you are helping someone.

Cons

Success in this position is next to impossible without playing company politics and being fed. The standards are so unrealistic, they will push you to enroll anyone. They count on you losing 50% of your enrollments and practically want you to lie to keep students in school 14 days. Instructors are disgruntled and under paid. Resources for students are non existent. This school will not last.

Invest in the education, find a more productive lead management system, look for people who are actually looking for an education, and lower the ridiculous tuition costs.

Westwood College Photos