Westwood College
www.westwood.edu Denver, CO 500 to 999 Employees

Westwood College Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
Westwood College – Westminster – “Trail Clean Up”

Dean Gouin

Pros:
  • "Got to know some good people who processed loans and such"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Also, the assistant deans who manage the instructors are great people"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Many students never see that salary upon graduation and default on their loans"
    in 6 reviews
  • "School has a bad reputation and just tries to shove it under the rug"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The entire experience was very rewarding.

Library Aide (Former Employee)
    Woodridge, IL

ProsThe staff actually cares about each student and staff member as an individual and it feels more like a family than a work environment.

ConsThere are no cons for this business.

This is not a kiddy college

Faculty (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsWestwood has been a great place to apply my prior experience in teaching nontraditional students. I feel like the students that attend here really want to improve their lives and that the faculty is here to help make that happen. The training and community at Westwood is terrific.

ConsI don't see a clear path for advancement with in the organization. There is no internal posting system for openings.

Great Place to WORK

ProsPositive atmosphere, Everyone is always nice, Great Boss

ConsNO cons on my end

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very rewarding the experience was great.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFelt supported, materials were always available and current, there was a good feeling among faculty members, and expectations from staff were always explained thoroughly. Never felt uncomfortable when I was uncertain, there was always resourceful guidance available from fellow faculty and administrators.

ConsJob was only part time, many students had unrealistic entitlement issues, no benefits, and a few classes had a few too many students.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a great job, when staff feels supported and resources for teaching are current and available teachers will produce a better product and students benefit. Good job Westwood!!!

My experience at Westwood College has been rewarding.

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsSome of the best reasons to work at Westwood College is the fact you interact with a diverse and intelligent student body and the environment/atmosphere is inviting.

ConsSome of the reasons for not working at Westwood College includes their marginal salaries and advancement may not come as quickly as one may desire.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen vacant positions need to be filled, look more to your adjunct faculty staff to fill those positions.

great place to work in

Work Study (Former Employee)
    Upland, CA

Prosgood hours for the stuidents
    the supervisors are great people

Constheir where very little hours
    their where no real benifits for the work studies

The experience has been refreshing and rewarding.

Library Assistant (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsHelping others and the overall quality of people.

ConsThere are not enough hours and pay.

Promising Company

Admissions Representative (Current Employee)

ProsRewarding work helping students get into school. The company has a great missions statement and upper management seems to truly do their research about each individual market to help teams succeed. The work culture is for the most part is fast-paced and competitive. Very good new hire training program. Great compensation plan offered in the Admissions department, paid time off, and benefits. They don't hide that admissions is a sales position. Standards are given and explained, each individual is responsible for hitting their budgets.

ConsVery budget driven and making your numbers can be stressful. They don't match or contribute to 401K, and no tuition assistance unless you go to Westwood College Online.

As an instructor, I enjoy my time here.

Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee)
    Anaheim, CA

ProsI have taught at multiple campuses of Westwood College in the Los Angeles and Orange County areas and have had an opportunity to meet and mingle with a number of the instructors. Many are well-established in their fields and are interesting, dynamic teachers. There are countless opportunities for professional development. Also, the assistant deans who manage the instructors are great people.

ConsThe reputation of the school is bad as a for-profit college, however I believe it has its place. I cannot attest to the business practices of the school, but seeing mixed reviews I hope that things are being done to stop any bad practices. The school is a last resort for many students, and I will say that the vast majority of students have little to no work ethic, not even bothering to show up or do even the most basic classwork, but I have seen many students succeed after completing their coursework at Westwood. While I earn as much per month as I do at a community college or university, I have to work more hours to do so - I would not mind having a more competitive salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would work on the school's reputation first and foremost. The recent changes to the company's mission are an excellent first step. As an individual with a PhD, I would personally call for a doctoral differential - after all I think it enhances the school's reputation to have more industry experts teach.

Fun place to have spent my time!

Student Finance (Former Employee)
    Westminster, CO

ProsI built amazing relationships with staff.
    Had great hours and a flexible schedule.
    Was able to build on my skills by working with talented groups of people.

ConsIncome limitations.
    No 401K Matching.
    Benefits were only ok.

Worked for Westwood College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Westwood College reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Westwood College CEO Dean Gouin. All 94 reviews posted anonymously by Westwood College employees.