Westwood College

Updated September 29, 2014
Updated September 29, 2014
2.8

Dean Gouin

Pros
  • Also, the assistant deans who manage the instructors are great people (in 6 reviews)

• Got to know some good people who processed loans and such (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Many students never see that salary upon graduation and default on their loans (in 6 reviews)

• School has a bad reputation and just tries to shove it under the rug (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

IT/Business Instructor

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Westwood College as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The students who really want their education are a joy to work with

Cons

Lack of professional management officials.

Cut the we-like-you or we-don't-like-you as well as my friend Joe whom we allow to teach full-time classes. Also, uphold the ethics of education and do not allow a good school to turn into a dial-a-degree school---it is not fair to the students who deserve positive recognition in the work place.

Major layoffs recently of their best people! Ashamed I worked there for so long.

I worked at Westwood College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people hands down. By far have made some lifelong relationships with some incredibly decent, hardworking individuals.

Cons

I worked for Westwood for several years. As one of the consistently top performers I fought for a raise for almost 12 months and never saw it. They continuously told me they could not give raises based on performance, yet oddly enough they fire you if you do NOT perform to a specific metric; so you cannot be compensated based on performance but be FIRED based on performance. They wouldn't do the right thing by finding another "non performance" reason to give myself and other people the pay they deserved.

Even if money were not a factor, they refused to give me any other kind of valid recognition for my hard work- the only person who gave me even verbal accolades was my immediate supervisor. They created a culture of fear, stress and ZERO incentive other than to (fingers crossed) keep your job for another school term.

In addition there were other individuals making significantly more money than me who performed at a far lower level than myself- yet again what incentive was I given to do well? None, but I continued to work hard because that's simply who I am. And I am not alone in this- many other people still did work hard because somehow this company, however undeserving they are, was lucky enough to have some amazing employees with incredible work ethic. Aaaand then they just laid off those who worked the hardest and brought in the most business for them, including a large amount of tenured representatives...instead keeping employees in what has been the lowest performing center in Westwood online for several years.

Whatever financial crisis Westwood seems to be in, their big wigs seem to have no short of cash, they are simply greedy and shortsighted. This company is a sinking ship, and the best thing they could have done for me in the long run (certainly I was never going to see that pay raise) was to let me go. Onto bigger and better opportunities to work for a company that actually appreciates and recognizes hard work.

My heart breaks for all of the amazing people you just laid off. This was the only source of income for many talented people. For whatever decent people you do have left, my advice would be to hold onto them for dear life. Also think about using some of your Christmas bonuses to give even a small raise to people who actually deserve them. Your compensation plan needs a lot of work.

Major Layoffs!

I worked at Westwood College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people! Smart, positive, and motivated individuals trying to help others. A nice balance of work/life, decent compensation, and the ability to go to school tuition-free.

Cons

Executives are greedy individuals who have very little regard for their employees. They just conducted a major lay-off with zero notice! Not good.

Don't make promises you can't or don't expect to keep.

You'll make great friends... but that's about it

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Westwood College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people that work there, pay is really good

Cons

it will suck your soul, the school cost WAY too much, managers have no idea what they are doing, they run off all good reps and just hire new ones, completely number focused even though it is illegal. Also, there is no room for advancement or lateral movement what so ever.

A director should not be allowed to be in that position unless they have been a rep before, stop focusing on quantity of students and focus more on quality, a graduate pays more than a student who never even starts.

If you hit your metrics you will do great!

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Westwood College full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation, Office environment with the ability to leave your office if need be, friendly staff members, Majority of employees are always looking out for the students and their best interests which provides success for the student and the school

Cons

Some members of management are two-faced and manipulative making it hard to withstand for a long time, Metrics are high even during a drought of a mindset that education is worth it

You have to change with the times and the mindsets of the demographic. Cannot continue using methods from 10 years ago because education was viewed differently then.

Its spinning around the drain.

I worked at Westwood College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you like people, many are friendly and kind. A few of the students are dedicated to learning and will try very hard.

Cons

IT infrastructure designed in the 1990, with a similarly antiquated security and data flow model. The technology courses are old and managed by academics with zero working knowledge of industry best practices. Many of the students are not serious, or mature enough to hand college and the administration seems to cater to their whims and excuse making

Change the culture if you are serious. If you are not just sell off the company/resign

No room for advancement

I have been working at Westwood College

Pros

I love working here, the students are the primary focus!

Cons

I have been offered no opportunity for advancement, despite receiving higher degrees

more training, stop hiring from outside and offer an advancement path for your existing employees

Great place to be

I have been working at Westwood College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to be, love the people

Cons

not a con, but very metric driven

Admissions department.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Westwood College full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The salary and benefits were good.

Cons

As a Admissions representative you had to lie to get people to attend a school where the degree was not recognized, the cost for the programs outside of computers was not worth the money as the ROI was not there. You don't need a degree for a career that will only pay you $12.00 an hour and have over $60K in debt.

Provide solid creditable programs and get regional accreditation.

A fun place to work, with no advancement

Current Employee - Student Finance in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Student Finance in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Westwood College full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Staff is very friendly and welcoming. Always feeding the staff food. Fun activities

Cons

Low Pay, Turnover, benefits, leadership, management

More training