Westwood College

Worst Experience Ever

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Westwood College full-time

Pros

There aren't any to give.

Cons

Low level students, they learned to manipulate management by threatening to leave if you don't do what they want. They also rule teachers through fear of feedback to keep jobs, this is what matters to the Dean and Program Chairs.

The Campus President compared the programs to selling cars. The employees are deceptive and back stabbers. The program chair smile in my face while looking for my replacement.

I worked crazy hours like 8:00 am to 10:30 pm. They were angry when I wanted to discuss this issue.

Overall quality is subpar. Tired of calling students who refused to show up for class. They are allowed an unusual amount of days out of class. All of them come from backgrounds with great social and emotional problems.

Believe in karma.

Worst job ever

I have been working at Westwood College

Pros

Some of the students are amazing and it's rewarding helping them grow.

Cons

Management is horrible. Faculty is treated like second class. It's all about the money, not people.

You're only as good as your instructors. Try harder to keep the good ones.

Management doesn't care about employees

Current Employee - Instructor in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Instructor in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Westwood College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great co workers, working with students.

Cons

Really don't want people to stay a long time, Took away long term benefits. Student numbers is all they care about. not the quality of the students, Admissions people lie about wages and jobs. No raises for last 4 years. Money from one program goes to other programs not back into one that's making it.

Better benefits, Better wages Listen to people when they try to tell them about problems.

Promising Company

Current Employee - Admissions Representative
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative

I have been working at Westwood College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Rewarding work helping students get into school. The company has a great missions statement and upper management seems to truly do their research about each individual market to help teams succeed. The work culture is for the most part is fast-paced and competitive. Very good new hire training program. Great compensation plan offered in the Admissions department, paid time off, and benefits. They don't hide that admissions is a sales position. Standards are given and explained, each individual is responsible for hitting their budgets.

Cons

Very budget driven and making your numbers can be stressful. They don't match or contribute to 401K, and no tuition assistance unless you go to Westwood College Online.

Loved it!

Former Employee - FWS in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - FWS in Chicago, IL

I worked at Westwood College part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people to work around.

Cons

Limited hours. Limited advancement opportunities.

None

Worked hard established myself as core subject matter expert and in the end it was a fulfilling teaching experience.

Current Employee - Full-Time Instructor in Calumet City, IL
    Current Employee - Full-Time Instructor in Calumet City, IL

I have been working at Westwood College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working with the students and helping them overcome their difficulties. This is the real perk to the job.

Cons

Even though my track record was perfect and never called off in 8 years they let me go because they couldn't offer me 3 classes.

Complete hands off administration.

Disrespectful and aggressive financial aid staff interrupting class to intercept students to fill out financial aide forms, etc.

Cost of school is astronomical. 80k for a bachelor's degree. Many students never see that salary upon graduation and default on their loans.

No vacation, No matching 401k.

Enter the classrooms and greet the students and faculty that teach the courses that pay your salaries.

Firing seasoned faculty kills the culture of the school. Find some alternatives.

Do a better job at educating students. The student's do not get what they pay for. 95% are on financial aide and do not understand what they are doing to their financial future by going to this school.

Do better than placing students at Kinko's upon graduation.

For-profit college internal struggle; Fantastic co-workers

Former Employee - Instructor in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Instructor in Arlington, VA

I worked at Westwood College part-time

Pros

Co-workers were professional, courteous, kind. Hiring manager was laid back, easy to talk to. Not intimidating at all. Willing to work with my schedule to determine teaching schedule. Were open to me incorporating fresh ideas to the shared syllabus. Free parking at building for instructors.

Cons

Training session was tiresome, but expected. It's hard to teach young people knowing that they are going into tremendous amounts of debt just to get a diploma from an unaccredited university. (Hiring managers typically only accept accredited colleges and universities when reviewing applicants.) Seeing the recruitment process first hand was sobering. Talk about a moral/ethical dilemma. I had to leave.

Revolving door

Former Employee - Instructor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Instructor in Denver, CO

I worked at Westwood College part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules
    Good peers
    Some really great students

Cons

Revolving door for management and peers, no continuity, management out-of-touch with classroom realities, no loyalty to staff

The students come for the teachers and staff. Value them accordingly.

I loved teaching the students

Current Employee - Instructor in Torrance, CA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Torrance, CA

I have been working at Westwood College part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Teaching the students was the best part. The reward of teaching the students helped make this a nice place to work.

Cons

The red tape of the administration. The college was more concerned about administrative issues and complying with corporate requirements than teaching the students.

Fun place to have spent my time!

Former Employee - Student Finance in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Student Finance in Westminster, CO

I worked at Westwood College full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I built amazing relationships with staff.
    Had great hours and a flexible schedule.
    Was able to build on my skills by working with talented groups of people.

Cons

Income limitations.
    No 401K Matching.