Westwood College

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
2.9

Dean Gouin

Pros
  • Got to know some good people who processed loans and such (in 5 reviews)

• Also, the assistant deans who manage the instructors are great people (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Many students never see that salary upon graduation and default on their loans (in 6 reviews)

• School has a bad reputation and just tries to shove it under the rug (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to WORK

I have been working at Westwood College

Pros

Positive atmosphere, Everyone is always nice, Great Boss

Cons

NO cons on my end

Very rewarding the experience was great.

I worked at Westwood College

Pros

Felt supported, materials were always available and current, there was a good feeling among faculty members, and expectations from staff were always explained thoroughly. Never felt uncomfortable when I was uncertain, there was always resourceful guidance available from fellow faculty and administrators.

Cons

Job was only part time, many students had unrealistic entitlement issues, no benefits, and a few classes had a few too many students.

Doing a great job, when staff feels supported and resources for teaching are current and available teachers will produce a better product and students benefit. Good job Westwood!!!

I worked there

Former Employee - Program Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Program Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Westwood College full-time for more than a year

Pros

Teaching the students and helping them.

Cons

For profit institution. Shady recruitment, hard to face students being ripped off. Administration only cares about profits.

None

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience at Westwood College has been rewarding.

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Westwood College part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at Westwood College is the fact you interact with a diverse and intelligent student body and the environment/atmosphere is inviting.

Cons

Some of the reasons for not working at Westwood College includes their marginal salaries and advancement may not come as quickly as one may desire.

When vacant positions need to be filled, look more to your adjunct faculty staff to fill those positions.

Don't work here if you care about Education

Former Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Woodridge, IL
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Woodridge, IL

I worked at Westwood College full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay. Close to home. Got to know some good people who processed loans and such. They flew me to Denver for training too.

Cons

I accepted a position there because I genuinely care about students. I have a degree in education and when the economy tanked, this was a good option. Sometimes I wonder if that's the only reason they hired me--so they could tell their critics that their staff has education experience.

At the beginning of every semester, there are these intense meetings for 14 days straight, at least an hour or more each day. All of the department heads would have to attend. The purpose of that meeting? To figure out why student A, B or C hasn't processed their paperwork for their loans/grants/military benefits yet. Why 14 days? Because that's the magic number of days that the federal government requires a student to be attending class before they will send the loan and grant money to a college. The saying was "We need asses in classes."

After 14-days, I was told to stop caring about those students I had just recruited and start recruiting new ones for the next session. The only reason I should be talking to old students is to get names and phone numbers of new people to recruit.

We received incentive pay for meeting and exceeding recruiting goals. It’s technically against the law for any school receiving federal funds to have quotas for their admissions recruiters. Westwood will tell you that the goals are “incentives.” If it’s just that, then why are there trophies and plaques and exotic trips for reps who have the highest recruiting numbers?

Westwood has been trying to get Regional Accreditation (the highest standard available) for years. Whenever the accreditation people would visit, we'd have to take down our plaques and trophies.

Everything that we did was for the ultimate goal of getting that big fat loan check from the government or a bank. I felt like I was brainwashed. Every time I questioned a recruiting tactic, they would tell me that I was being to "cerebral".

My director told me to say things like, "Oh, you said your 7th grade English teacher really supports you going to college. Do you think she would co-sign a loan for you?"

In the end, they fired me for not meeting my sales goals. That was the best thing that could have happened to me. I look back and I feel like I sold my soul.

Stop pretending you care about students and their future. You don't. Period.

I worked in admissions and as a trainer for over 3 years

Former Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Westwood College full-time

Pros

Really excellent training department when I was there. They really make sure their employees know the job. Also, this is one of the funnest places I ever worked, in terms of working with great co-workers.

Cons

It's a nationally accredited university which means the education does little to nothing for the students we were enrolling. It's hard to stomach at the end of the day. There are also aggressive sales tactics and clever ways we are taught to not tell students about the detriment of going to a nationally accredited college.

Worst employer I've ever had.

I have been working at Westwood College

Pros

Other than being employed with a salary there were no pros to working here.

Cons

Too many to list, but note they are often embroiled in legal battles regarding misrepresentation of their services. This is a for-profit organization that's all about the money. Employees are a dime a dozen and they could care less about the students.

Avoid Westwood College like a Plague!

Current Employee - Full-Time Instructor  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Full-Time Instructor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Westwood College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Close to home. Easy driving.

Cons

Profit oriented and they don't care about student success.

If you don't care about student, get out of this business.

Nice place to work in

I have been working at Westwood College

Pros

Good pay and more flexible rules

Cons

Like any Private college, Profit is first

Put more restrictions on admissions

It was very rewarding helping students earn a degree who may not have had a chance othewise.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative  in  Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Westminster, CO

I worked at Westwood College full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Getting to know students personally and helping them on their journey to earn their degree and change their lives.

Cons

A lot of emphasis is placed on and enrollment being a "sale" where the human value and importance of education can be lost.

Start truely investing more in the student experience and not just talking about it. A lot can be lost when there are "too many hands in the pot" i.e. too many people the student has to communicate with and work with. It also spreads accountability too thin and widents inter departmental friction

Worked for Westwood College? Contribute to the Community!