Wet Seal
www.wetsealinc.com Foothill Ranch, CA 5000+ Employees

Wet Seal Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

John D. Goodman

Pros:
  • "You get a really good employee discount and there are usually friendly people to work with"
    in 15 reviews
  • "High store energy, uniqueness, & great interaction with customers, 40% discount, fashion oriented store"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Bad management, no breaks, always on call, no work-life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "As a person that wanted a full-time position this was insufficient to y needs"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very let down.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Wet Seal

ProsGreat in store experience to provide for the customer.

Great employee discount!

ConsAnything outside, or above the store is not good. Worst upper management ever. Rude, fake, and stupid.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere will Wet Seal be in 10 years? No where in sight :)

I expected more as an employee

Digital Production Artist (Former Employee)
Foothill Ranch, CA

I worked at Wet Seal full-time for more than a year

ProsOne free day off a month IF the managers don't give you their workload while they take the day off. The employees are great to work with, similar personalities made for a more pleasant atmosphere.

Cons• Favoritism
• Ego's are larger than life
• Very hard to advance with a position tittle change, or raise
• Some of the managers have no people or management skills
• Some Managers have no experience or knowledge about the work their teams are assigned, and implement unrealistic expectations
• Some managers find insults a better way of motivation, rather than positive feedback.

The environment used to be friendlier, with informative company meetings, get togethers, team activities and large holiday parties.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together.

Good company

Senior Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wet Seal full-time for more than a year

Prosgood work life balance, stable job, enjoyable corporate culture

Consnothing in specific but has to play multiple roles

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meh.

Daly City, CA

I worked at Wet Seal part-time for more than a year

ProsLenient request offs. Definitely one of the best. Within two weeks notice.

Managers know what they're doing, and to customers, are extremely professional.

Pay is negotiable, to a certain extent of the minimum wage.

SO MANY EMPLOYEE DISCOUNTS. Best part of the job!

ConsManagers aren't exactly the most professional. You have your good ones and you have the ones who use every single fault they can find against you.

People will FIGHT to get their money back, even after you insist that the return policy is only exchange or store credit, even though the policy was circled for them the day of their purchase.

When the manager who doesn't exactly "like" you makes the schedule, expect yourself to get the minimum amount of hours a week. Which is 5.

They WILL call you to make you come in early, even if you have no on call prior to your shift or after.

Managers show up late in the afternoon, which stretches your morning shift since it's a two person coverage, and you can't leave until another person comes.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to put your personal feelings to the side. Whether you like a worker or not, if they can push sales and achieve sales goals, they deserve to be on the sales floor more often than the ones who can barely make any sales $20+.

Appreciate your senior workers. They know the store inside and out, memorized the policies like the back of their hands. The hell are you doing, scheduling one shift a week for them.

Good part time job

Mount Airy, MD

I worked at Wet Seal part-time for less than a year

ProsFun place to work with fun people

ConsDifficult customers, pays minimum wage

Management changed all the time.....not stable

Production and Sourcing Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wet Seal for more than 3 years

Prosone paid Friday off every month

Cons1~3 years is the longest time you should work there

Advice to Senior Managementnothing

Struggling to Survive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Wet Seal for more than a year

ProsOne Friday off a month but with all the work to do it was hard to take off

ConsExtremely Long Hours
No Real Vision for the future
No Real strategy
Lots of favoritism
Lack of Focus
Insecure Leadership
Management more concerned about power versus doing the right thing for the business
Lack of respect for the employees
No real empowerment or autonomy to do your job well
People celebrate failures versus wins

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Good company to work for

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Wet Seal full-time for more than a year

ProsI was hired as a seasonal part time for the holidays in my hometown. After seasonal period ended I was asked to stay and hired as a part time sales associate. After a few months, I was accepted into college and the company offered to transfer me to my new city. Within a few weeks of working at the new location I was promoted to assistant manager. There is plenty of room for advancement if the individual works hard. Excellent training is provided and they truly stick to "hiring the best". Upper management is energetic, positive, and offer a lot of help and support. Wet Seal is a great place to learn and develop sales skills. The company offers a generous employee discount and is flexible with scheduling.

ConsPay is low for Management considering the amount of work that is involved.
Overnight seal sets or visual merchandising,( little consideration if you have school the next morning).
Heavy Store Cleaning, sweeping, mopping, dusting, bathroom cleaning duties are done by one person each day.
"on call" scheduling where you have to keep your availability open all day just in case they need you.
Very little hours for sales associates, if you live on your own and pay rent and bills you may need a second job.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate "on call" scheduling for sales associates and hire one or two "on calls"

It was Ok

Sherman Oaks, CA

I worked at Wet Seal part-time for less than a year

ProsLearn a lot. got some experience!

ConsThey only hire people that they know and keep their favorites!

Abso-freakin-lutely Horrible.

Hattiesburg, MS

I worked at Wet Seal part-time for less than a year

ProsThe discount was about the only thing that was good about it. Because you got some great clothes for really cheap. The majority of other key holders/associates I worked with were pretty chill, and kinda did their own thing but didn't hesitate to help me out if I needed it and also didn't hesitate to tell me if I was doing something wrong.

ConsJust about everything was horrible. The management for one, biggest game of favoritism in my life. The manager would be talking to someone and carry on a near-hour conversation with her - but if I tried to make small talk, it was always 'fix this, fix that - try not to stand around much and go recover'. I have never seen someone play so much favoritism. She would be your friend to your face, but I found out (I've been gone a month) that apparently everyone thinks I'm weird and I didn't fit in. Sorry but last time I checked, you don't hire someone based on if they fit into your little 'crowd' - you hire them because you feel like they would do the job right. And I did just that. The reason I left is because the hours were horrible and I felt like I was the odd one out. Granted you get hired to do a job, you shouldn't have to come into work every day and feel like you stick out like a sore thumb. No bueno.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful who you hire as your managers. Because the one I had was NOT the best one for the job. She may have done her job 'right', but the environment she set for people was as fake as plastic. And you could see right through her whenever she tried to act like she was someone's friend.

Worked for Wet Seal? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wet Seal reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wet Seal CEO John D. Goodman . All 133 reviews posted anonymously by Wet Seal employees.