Wet Seal
www.wetsealinc.com Foothill Ranch, CA 5000+ Employees

Wet Seal Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

John D. Goodman

Pros:
  • "You get a really good employee discount and there are usually friendly people to work with"
    in 15 reviews
  • "High store energy, uniqueness, & great interaction with customers, 40% discount, fashion oriented store"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Bad management, no breaks, always on call, no work-life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "As a person that wanted a full-time position this was insufficient to y needs"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Best company to work for!

Key Holder/Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wet Seal part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat co-workers!! If you work hard enough it's easy to move up fast :). There is also a GREAT employee discount! It's more than what any other store offers its employees. You get to talk to customers the entire time, so you are constantly getting to make connections.

ConsReturn policy. It's one of the only things we ever have trouble with. We enforce it, but we definitely lose customers over it sometimes. Another con is our sales associates don't care enough about the store, they just need a job, they don't necessarily want THIS job. We need more dedicated associates!
I'm a key-holder (part-time management) at my store, and I don't get bonus when we make our month. Or benefits, sick time, or vacation time. Even though I work 40+ hours most weeks. I do all the same work as any other manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore hours for tasking! Customers come first for all stores, and sometimes it's just plan too busy to get ANYTHING done! I feel like one way or another I get in trouble. Going over on payroll, or not getting everything done. Catch 22, really. We want to feel appreciated, and it's hard when either way we get in trouble.

Unfair and disappointing

Olympia, WA

I worked at Wet Seal part-time for less than a year

ProsThe 40% employee discount was really nice, the job was pretty easy, I could wear cute clothes, and it was close to where I lived.

ConsI was one of the very few people who got hired at the Wet Seal in my town who did not already know the store manager. She was extremely biased. For the majority of the time I worked there, I only got 5 hours a week but had to stay "on call" for the majority of the week in case they needed another person (which was only about 1% of the time).

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not be biased and unfair when hiring employees. Just because someone already know you does not mean they're better suited for the job. Also, give your employees more than 5 hours a week. I had no money left after paychecks after my phone bill, and my paychecks rarely exceeded double digits.

Don't come here for security as a sales associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wet Seal part-time for more than a year

ProsCO-Workers, Flexibility with schedule, I was in college while working here and they would work with my schedule immensly

Consnot many hours to work, if not making sells to meet the payroll bracket they will have to cut back your shift.

Advice to Senior Managementnot applicable

boring

Carbondale, IL

I worked at Wet Seal part-time for less than a year

Prosgreat clothes great style and management

Consshallow hiring of employees based on looks

Advice to Senior Managementbigger employee discount

sale associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Miami, FL

I have been working at Wet Seal part-time for more than 3 years

Pros- meet some awesome costumers
-40 percent discount

Cons- crappy pay
-over work you
-hire people base on there looks
-slightly racist company
-managers talk crap about everyone
-fitting room rules sucks
-doing heavy mannequins alone
-calls in
-schedule always change
-cut hours
- cheap clothing
-return policy
-lots of shoplifting
-hate clean bags to bring to work
-for a someone in high school

Advice to Senior Managementgive more hours , stop hiring more sale associate when you cant even give hours to others that have been in the company for years , no favoritism , stop being fake and acting like your there to help sale associate when you really don't care.

Fashion, Fun and Great People...What else could I ask for?

District Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wet Seal full-time for more than a year

ProsFashionable and Trend Right
Fun energy in Stores
Great team of people
Goals that stores can actually make
Store operations team
Motivating and inspiring supervisor

ConsChaotic at times
Product levels inconsistent
DD Bonus

A fast paced environment to grow in

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wet Seal full-time for more than a year

ProsComplete flexibility in merchandising as long as the companies "vision" is upheld.
The company is constantly looking for areas to increase efficiency in.
Fairly streamlined store operations; much MUCH less paperwork than at other companies.
While payroll is at times limited, all corporate tasks run on a set schedule and high task volumes are communicated to stores before hand. Rare last-minute "surprises"
WetSeal truly believes in helping their customers. Customers come before tasks. No matter what deadline, what recovery, what shipment. Tasks will always be there, guests won't. Strong selling culture.

ConsAtrocious POS systems. Literally cheap Dell computers rigged with some buggy POS software. Stores started keeping BINDERS of "ticket numbers" from the "help" desk.
It is fast fashion so product is a "one and done" kind of deal. This leaves you with tons of "singles" and broken size runs which can make selling difficult at times.
Large stores and little payroll means recovery is a constant battle.
Loyalty program, the way it is constructed, has a negative impact on store KPIs when held at it's standard apps/trans %.
You get the feeling the company is pushing towards the wrong demographic at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare more about the company and it's direction to those at the store level. Less "filler" product that just clutters stores and moves to clearance.

Friendly company, underpaid.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Portage, MI

I have been working at Wet Seal full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA lot of opportunities to move up. Lots of opportunities to earn extra cash i.e contests, shrink % and comping.

ConsThey do mini floor sets EVERY week, so all the effort you put into displays and walls is essentially wasted.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo lots of research on hourly rates and salaries for this company. They will under pay you as much as they can. For a short period I ran the store while the store manager was on maternity leave and had to hire another assistant manager during this time. She was approved for three dollars more an hour than I was making, even while running the store.

Good first retail job

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Wet Seal part-time for more than a year

ProsManagement here was awesome. I had the best managers out of every job I have had here at this store...and I've worked for higher-end stores. They set goals for you and help you achieve them. If you have a problem they will work with you and really try to push you to do your best without nagging constantly. Also awesome employee discount. Clothes are super cute and fun.

ConsThe clientele- lots of snobby teenagers and hood rats!! There is a lot of stealing within the whole company internal and external. You kind of feel treated like a criminal because they make you bring clear bags and check if you were wearing Wet Seal clothing and go through your transaction history to see if you actually bought them...it was intense. With all the external theft I felt more like a security guard than a sales associate at time...and if a manager finds a lot of sensors in your "zone" you can get into a lot of trouble. Also the return policy SUCKS!!! 21 days only store credit or exchange, no cash refunds or refunds back to your card. Customers yell at you all the time about this and it gets really old.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the return policy!! Be different from all the other teeny bopper stores and have a some-what more reasonable return policy- like 30 days cash back. Also you need to understand that sometimes it's REALLY hard to clean the store in just one hour because there is a lot of traffic in that store and it gets pretty disgusting.

Great clothing company to work for!

Store Manager (Former Employee)
Bossier City, LA

I worked at Wet Seal full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Employee discount, Great District Director was a true leader, Once a "Team/Staff" was in place job was a pleasure to have, product came in pre sensored, no back stock, floor sets/windows easy compared to other companys.

Conssometimes it felt like not enough payroll to complete all needed task, sometimes could not fill customers product request due to sizes or "dated product", POS system outdated,

Advice to Senior ManagementGet larger sizes in needed stores, get more current on product, overall was a pleasure to manage location.

Worked for Wet Seal? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wet Seal reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wet Seal CEO John D. Goodman . All 133 reviews posted anonymously by Wet Seal employees.