Wet Seal

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
2.9

John D. Goodman

Pros
  • Great Employee discount, Management team was awesome as well as a few other associates (in 24 reviews)

• Great co-workers and a fun environment; also a great discount (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance as a manager (you live at the store) and the pay is less than competitive (in 6 reviews)

• Minimum wage, lots of work, other employees don't do anything, incompetent managers (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Wet Seal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I truly enjoy the daily challenges. My DD and Regional are AWESOME! They are concerned about my store and provide support and constructive criticism when necessary. You are praised for your accomplishments, but as adults we shouldn't look for "pats on the back" just for doing your JOB!

Cons

Unfortunately the weekly hours are sales driven, which means you have to have sales associates that are able to multitask with minimal supervision. I see people complaining about a lot of things, but need to apply common sense to the situation. If you're not making the sales you don't get the hours. If you don't support your staff, they will not work for you. If you are not positive your staff won't be either.

Take a look at what's working at the store level. They are making good strides to change the environment.

sales associate

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Wet Seal part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great environment, this job is jun, easy, and relaxing. I spent most days talking to customers, organizing the store and working at the register. The managers are very persistent about making sales and selling the Wet Seal Promotional cards. The interview was also relaxing and simple.

Cons

The interview was a group interview, which I normally do not like. I also did not enjoy the hours of the job. I guess it depends on what location you get, but I felt like some weeks I would have too many hours and some I would have barely any at all. With balancing school, I wanted a happy medium but never seemed to get it

Love the Seal

Current Employee - Regional Director in Chula Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Director in Chula Vista, CA

I have been working at Wet Seal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and great team. Love my district and region. Feels like family. Close to the corp office so we get to try things first.

Cons

Payroll. Hours to get it all done and be on the floor for the customer. Lots of change.

Fun.

I have been working at Wet Seal

Pros

Good environment and coworkers.

Cons

On-Call Status and lack of other workers.

My time at wet seal as a sales associate

I worked at Wet Seal

Pros

Once a month employees are given 50% off discounts to Wet Seal and Arden B. The everyday discount is 30% regular priced items.

Cons

Having to stay late at night to rearrange store layout every few months

short job

I have been working at Wet Seal

Pros

flexibility was great good as just a first job

Cons

always slow and no help from managers

Great place to learn the business and build retail foundation.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Wet Seal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing service culture; Family-like team structure; internal advancement opportunities.

Cons

No work life balance as a manager (you live at the store) and the pay is less than competitive.

Invest in your team. Choose quality people to run your store and pay them what they deserve they will be happy and loyal to you. The pay is what made me have to leave. I loved my job but had to support my family better. Also, invest in your operations. This will allow your managers to focus more on business and less on tasking and in turn will require management to work less allowing more work life balance.

would not recommend

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate

I worked at Wet Seal part-time (more than an year)

Pros

considerably nice discount. sometimes fun to work at.

Cons

NO benefits for part time. minimum wage job. yearly raise is 10 cents. associates expected to do the "dirty work" the managers don't want to do. there is no culture; employees generally fit a certain niche. training is very monotonous. as with many corporations, money is the main focus; rather than the general well-being of employees.

respect your employees and pay them well. respect drives a good attitude drives morale drives business. people are more reliable and efficient when they actually enjoy coming to work. the turnover rate would be much lower if all general and assistant managers would see their associates as equal to them and respected them as such.

Great company!

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Wet Seal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome employees! Room for growth. Manageable workload.

Cons

Lots of change at corporate level. Corporate needs to get on the same page.

Always remember people make or break a company, so when making decisions consider your Frontline employees best interest. Change those that need changed, but don't punish all.

Wet Seal, Co-Manager

I worked at Wet Seal

Pros

Great hands on experience with customer service and management.

Cons

They were terrible at praising when store met goals or business operations went as planned or above expectations

When no additional compensation is offered, verbal communication of a job well done should be practiced.