Wet Seal Reviews

Reset

1. Horrible corporate management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Wet Seal part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a fun company- played music videos & sold colorful clothes, and the job was fairly easy.

Cons

Corporate was terrible- I didn't get paid for months. They understaffed, so I wasn't allowed to leave the store for my breaks. The back room was dirty and disorganized.

Advice to Management

Take better care of your employees! And look towards ways to be more environmentally friendly- there was so much paper & plastic waste from shipment.

2. Former Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Mentor, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Mentor, OH

I worked at Wet Seal (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training, focus program was actually good.

Cons

Minimum pay, no growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

Find better pay somewhere else

3. Never again

I worked at Wet Seal

Pros

You meet awesome people. One of the managers was competent

Cons

Working under management who have no sense of fashion.

Advice to Management

do better

5. Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Wet Seal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company gives you a lot of flexibility in day to day decisions as a SM. DM's rarely had their hands in your store once they knew they could trust you/your store preformed well. Merchandise assortment was constantly changing/being renewed so we didn't idle on the same floorset for weeks at a time like at other retailers. It was often hard to fill management positions because of pay/company image so there was always opportunities to develop seasoned associates and place them in management positions. If you know what you're doing and have any eye for retail, it's an easy job, even as an SM. You get the sense the company is truly, as they say, a family. Regardless of what has happened, I made so many friends and until the end was treated with nothing but respect and dignity.

Cons

Like I said, DM's and corporate really kept their nose out of your store claiming you "owned your business". The reality is "corporate" had no idea what "the business" actually was and the DM's had no idea what corporate thought of anything because the company was so unstable and management turnover was unreal. You rarely got a yes or no answer from anyone, everything was very conditional. When they weren't dealing with that mess they were babysitting underpreforming stores with unbelievable shrink and turnover issues that the company refused to allocate proper resources to. The only time the company would address problems is if they got so out of hand they would have to spend even more money sending someone to pick up the mess. Forget paying enough to attract talent that wouldn't let chaos become the norm in the first place! Hours were scarce and every team member was being pulled in 17 directions at once. The instability of the company and product turnover I mentioned go hand in hand. No one had a clue who "our girl" really was. One week she was a 27 year old tribal inspired festival goer and the next she was a 17 year old who wore Disney graphic tees and destroyed denim. I would still like to know who "our girl" was supposed to be. It's not even sad they let all that real estate go when they went bankrupt, most of it was dated and in dire need of extensive maintenence/refreshing which was another thing they never spent a dime on.

Advice to Management

You sell an FIC card to a girl with $7 who bought last chance clearance. You work in a store with a leaking roof that no one will fix. But above all that, how about you look at yourselves and remeber you burned thousands of bridges and broke the hearts of employees everywhere. Employees that hung onto something that they believed in, their teams because the sad reality is there wasn't much left to hold onto. You knew what was happening, then looked back at your "family" and left them all to find out the ship had already sank. That's not what families do, and that's not what anyone expected from a company who put their "core values" in all that they did. I have no PRIIDE left for any of you.

6. easy job but unsecured reputation

Former Employee - Manager in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Midland, TX

I worked at Wet Seal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fairly easy job.. fun music..store managers willing to help others.

Cons

Very low pay..Taleo..old P.O.S Store clothing all over the place way to many floor updates fixtures dangerous metal constantly on ladders.

Advice to Management

D.D. deal with store personally. Raise pay. Find new buyers or give buyers something better to buy.clothes currently sell are boring and dull

7. Great starter job.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Wet Seal

Pros

Fun work environment at times

Cons

Dealing with customer theft can be very stressful. You have to be alert to the possibility of theft. You will also deal with hostile customers at times.

8. Terrible company to work for.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Muncie, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Muncie, IN

I worked at Wet Seal part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun, laid back environment at both locations I worked at. Helped with customer service skills and prepared me for future jobs.

Cons

Terrible company, gave sales associates one day notice that all stores in the Midwest were laid off where as all of management was given only three days notice all stores in the Midwest were closing. If someone has to submit a two weeks notice, the company we're working for should have done the same.

Advice to Management

Be careful when accepting positions with this company, they do not have strong values and are willing to lay off their employees without any warning or consideration. Also terrible bonuses for those who were laid off.

Good discounts. Very low pay

Former Employee - Lead Stock in Aiea, HI
    Former Employee - Lead Stock in Aiea, HI

I worked at Wet Seal part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

40% off store. Lots of winning promos in addition to the discount. Coworkers were usually enjoyable. Keeps you up to date with fashion.

Cons

Minimum wage. Raises once a year of a quarter, at most. Not enough hours. Poor management.

Advice to Management

Pay your people more. They will stay with the company longer and work harder

10. assistant store manager

I have been working at Wet Seal

Pros

The fun atmosphere and people

Cons

The long hours and working every weekend

Very demanding, but very rewarding!

Current Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Wet Seal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people within the organization are amazing! From store level to corporate level, they make you want to be the best! It's a great organization to grow with.

Cons

It can be very demanding at times, and very chaotic. We aren't given enough payroll to support to workload given, which can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Increase the payroll brackets, or go back to giving extra hours for VMDs and heavy operation days.

RSS Feed </> Embed