Weta Digital

Updated November 20, 2014
3.7

CEO

good

Current Employee - Digital Effects Crew in Wellington (New Zealand)
    Current Employee - Digital Effects Crew in Wellington (New Zealand)

I have been working at Weta Digital as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

very good project, nice living life

Cons

work hard, too many hours.

Good people. Cool projects. Not for the faint of heart.

Former Employee - Digital Effects Crew
    Former Employee - Digital Effects Crew

I worked at Weta Digital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are experienced pros on the whole. Tentpole projects. Paid for every hour you work with an OT rate for excessive hours. Usually high pay rates for overseas workers. Decent catering. Good parties.

Cons

Extremely short deadlines and mercurial decisions, leading to long hours for long periods of time and panic actions. Not a very cohesive company with each department having a different culture and questionable inter-departmental relations. Very little training and mentoring. Extreme pay differences between local and overseas workers. Supervisors seem to play favorites with work distribution and advancement. Poor pay increases, if any. Have had some poor on-screen credit classifications for outside clients. Weta Digital doesn't seem concerned about instilling loyalty or retaining personnel for the long haul. Recommend you work there for short-term projects and get out.

Great artists to work with, but poor management and terrible distribution of work

I have been working at Weta Digital as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I love the artists here. None of my complaints will be about my fellow artists, leads or cg supes. You feel part of the family and make amazing friends here. Sure some hours are long, but we make movies and that's the reality. You will never work unpaid hours here.

Cons

Abysmal pay rate if you are a kiwi. Someone higher up made some terrible decisions this year, and as a result work was poorly distributed so some people were very heavy on work, while another group of us sat and waited for work. A large group of atds were brought in, given a lot of work while many of us who have been here longer continued to wait for shots work. After being here for two and a half years my contract along with other people will not be renewed. Meanwhile, the mass atds are being kept on. Absolutely ridiculous.

Don't bring in so many new people to replace the ones who have been here longer. Offer other departments to those who currently work here instead of letting us go.

Weta Digital Experience

Current Employee - 3D Animator in Wellington (New Zealand)
    Current Employee - 3D Animator in Wellington (New Zealand)

I have been working at Weta Digital as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, great location, overtime pay, great projects. Lots of overtime $$$

Cons

Lots of overtime :(, time and a half after 60 hrs, 50 hr weekly minimums (changing), no room to move up, revolving door.

Amazingly talented people, interesting and challenging work, great atmosphere.

Current Employee - R&D in Wellington (New Zealand)
    Current Employee - R&D in Wellington (New Zealand)

I have been working at Weta Digital as a contractor

Pros

Weta has an amazing amount of skillful people that achieve extraordinary quality in what they are doing. Work is interesting and challenging because the company needs to be at the bleeding edge of research with what they are doing.
    The biggest plus, however, is that everybody is super helpful and everything is made as comfortable as possible - getting there, setting up everything, finding some place to live, getting started with work, ... and then finding help in all situations that may arise, it really feels like a big family.

Cons

The complaint you hear most often is that of too much overtime. On the other side, at least every hour of overtime is paid (and at a rate of 1.5 after 60 hours per week), so people are not exploited as is the case in many companies where the base time per week is lower.

It seems like there are things going on to improve on the overtime problem, let's see if it will work out.

Cool people, cool parties, terrible working conditions

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellington (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellington (New Zealand)

I worked at Weta Digital as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wellington is a nice city. They throw excellent christmas parties. The people are good to work with (mostly), and it is nice that each department is like its own little family.

Cons

The pay is abysmal for locals. I was shocked to find that locals were often being paid less than half of international workers doing exactly the same job. The overtime is out of control. We worked 90 hour weeks for months on end. That is no way to live a life, an no way to run a business.

Hire more people to share the load. Pay fairly based on skills and competence, not place of birth. Don't make people work such crazy hours, it does terrible things to their morale, and their physical and mental health.

Great projects, but badly managed.

Former Employee - Animator in Wellington (New Zealand)
    Former Employee - Animator in Wellington (New Zealand)

I worked at Weta Digital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Weta is well known for getting some of the biggest shows of the year, so the work is always inspiring. The sheer level of talent of the artists there are off the charts, so you're never lacking in inspiration. The studio itself is also very relaxed/unstructured, with little of the corporate feel common to most big studios.

Cons

Very unstructured and badly managed, to such a degree that I wonder how they ever make any money on the shows. Weta is well known for working crazy hours, and a culture of permanent overtime and crunch is now becoming the norm. Most studios manage to finish shows with limited overtime, but Weta seems to require the artists to work 80+ hrs, for months on end, to get anything done. This is mostly due to abuse of power from the Sups, who tries to call all the shots, rather than the director. This leads to wasted time, and needless iterations.

Learn to time manage. If a show requires overtime right from the get-go, then you're not doing it right. Invest more in the artists who work there, help them grow, then your attrition rate will be MUCH lower.

nice experience

Current Employee - Digital Artist in Wellington (New Zealand)
    Current Employee - Digital Artist in Wellington (New Zealand)

I have been working at Weta Digital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good salary, nice projects, some of the best vfx artist of the world.

Cons

Productions get a little bit messy at the end of projects. Too many overtime.

Sorting things at the beginning will help to avoid craziness at the end.

Only one complaint...maybe two.

Current Employee - Team Lead in Wellington (New Zealand)
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Wellington (New Zealand)

I have been working at Weta Digital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people to work with, great content to work on. Overall a great job. New Zealand is a beautiful place. Wellington is a pretty cool little city.

Cons

Peter Jackson tends to push contractors more than he should. Overtime expectations are insane sometimes reaching 4 or 5 months with 90+ hours at the peak. The windy Wellington winters can drag on and on and be a little depressing at times.

Manage projects better to reduce overtime expectations.

Very busy, but not unpleasant

Current Employee - Compositor in Wellington (New Zealand)
    Current Employee - Compositor in Wellington (New Zealand)

I have been working at Weta Digital as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The quality of the work produced is amazing, the people are very friendly, and there is proper overtime compensation.

Cons

Working 15 hours a day, 7 days a week, for weeks on end, is not very healthy. One really needs to put ones personal life on hold for the last few months of each film.

The crazy hours we work towards the end of each show simply isn't reasonable. It's not like working twice as many hours will give twice the output. I'm sure there must be ways to avoid this.