Weta

Weta Reviews

Weta – “Control Room”

Weta – “Control Room”

Sharon Percy Rockefeller

Made me want to work in television broadcasting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the pros of working at WETA are that the staff was very helpful and friendly. I never felt intimidated going to my internship

ConsIt got a little boring after a while because I usually did the same thing all the time. I woud sit at my cubicle and work on the same type of powerpoint all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive interns more fun things to do. Maybe have a day where they specifically work with a different department.

If you like PBS and live in the area, its about all 'ya got

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsAssociating with a superior product feels good, and people in the area (over age 30) will know of your presence in the media community.

ConsVery few management possibilities exist because those who occupy the very few management positions protect their jobs from intrusion. It creates a "inside" political structure that can get vicious, and is certainly unrewarding to those who focus on doing their jobs well. You are likely to be most rewarded if you protect your bosses back, even if that means doing nothing else.

Advice to Senior ManagementA house cleaning might work well for you... move out those who are simply protecting their turf, and move in those who seem to actually want to accomplish something.

The mission of public broadcasting informs the decision process at all levels of the WETA organization.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Arlington, VA

Pros* Collegial atmosphere, mutually supportive and cooperative
    * Civility a hallmark of personal and professional interactions
    * Clear direction and relevant, useful feedback from management
    * Appropriate delegation
    * Resources available when required to complete assignments

Cons* Career advancement slow or non-existent
    * Salaries low compared to for-profit companies
    * Ratio of managers to worker bees upside down
    * Preponderance of males in positions of authority, females in subordinate positions

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is very little fat in lower paid staff positions, but a great deal in higher paid management positions. Recommend review and consolidation of management responsibilities.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

stifling, unprofessional, below standard

Production Manager (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsThe only reason to work at WETA is their positive attitude in coping with work/life balance issues.

ConsUnprofessional, negative attitude toward women, significant glass ceiling, no career advancement possible, substandard management, no leadership or vision

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere is the leadership? Where is the vision?

Worked for Weta? Contribute to the Community!