Wexford Health Sources

Updated Apr 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mark W. Hale

Good experience learned a lot

Dwight, IL

I worked at Wexford Health Sources full-time for more than a year

ProsEnjoyed the work. Great pay and good oppertunity

ConsNever met with anyone directly from the company just spoke with them on the phone as it was a contracting company.

Working at Wexford Health

Baltimore, MD

I worked at Wexford Health Sources full-time for less than a year

ProsI really enjoyed trying to help the inmates, but you needed to do your work or you fell behind.

ConsWorking in a unsafe environment in the WDC at East Eager Street, much of the time not having the proper supplies needed to complete work.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really liked the Human Resources person, Wendy and the DON, they were fair and honest people. I think the Nurses need more support, working in such a unsafe environment.

I started out with great optimism and ended with PTSD -- literally.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Wexford Health Sources as a contractor for less than a year

ProsI worked long hours but wasn't salaried, so I got paid for the extra hours.

ConsMost abusive medical director that I can imagine, with company well aware but letting the situation continue unabated.

Advice to Senior ManagementMedical managers are 20 years outdated. Combine that with for-profit environment and this is a set-up for employee and patient discontent as well as medical malpractice. Look at outrageous death rate -- speaks for itself.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Always hiring

Licensed Medical Professional (Former Employee)

I worked at Wexford Health Sources full-time for more than a year

ProsPaycheck was right, most of the time. Acceptable work load.

ConsMy experience with Wexford has shown that management encourages medical practices that place unnecessary risk on medical professionals and the facilities contracted. Poor communication and problem solving. Autocratic management that interferes with the professionals ability to perform his/her duties as defined by state licensing agencies.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

terrible facility, terrible orientation for job

Staff RN (Former Employee)
Jessup, MD

I worked at Wexford Health Sources full-time for less than a year

Prosthe money was alright, there was no rotating schedules, most of the employees were nice

Consoriented to job by someone who had a vested interest in me not doing well so she could keep her prn job there doing the same job I was orienting for

Advice to Senior Managementget real and get serious about orienting new employees

Former RN nurse Indian town florida

Indiantown, FL

I worked at Wexford Health Sources full-time for less than a year

ProsIt was a job that brought home a pay check

Cons-Inadequate pay for the work expected.

-Live Rodents/dead rodents/rodent feces in exam rooms

-Out dated policies given to nursing staff & staff questioned for not following policies...

- Was expected to address and see sick call inmates with complaints dated 1-2 months before my emloyment even started I told management this was unethical....

- Was reprimaded by an LPN & acting D.O.N. because I addressed abnormal lab values that showed an elevated A1C & DX a communicable disease...In a court of law, they will not accept the fact an LPN wanted me to continue with sick call to comply with Wexford contracts with the DOC...

-No drinkable water available to staff and when one would bring in personal water bottles other staff would drink and management did nothing about it when advised I was told to "go and buy water..."
-Pure corporate liars as was not informed of the environmental hazards.... including but not limited to exposed electrical wires in bravo confinment... This was reported to management again nothing was fixed

-The highest level of unprofessional and ignorant corportate management to site management lack of training, orientation

-Insufficient supplies including but not limited to: soap, paper towels, gloves, protective gear, glucometer strips, BP cuffs, etc.. innadequate sick call room very small size of small closet no exam table no oto or opthalmoscopes etc.

- Multiple holes in celing with black and brown residue with water dripping all over medical unit floor & chux pads on floor when management was asked they said that this occured in "2004-2005 hurricanes" with multiple patches to roof that obviously did not take. ( no wonder the medical unit was hot there was multiple breaches in the celing!!!!

-Failure of management to address any of your health hazard concerns

- No fans or proper air conditioning on medical unit or in nurses exam rooms in confinement areas. When I told the acting D.O.N. I was very hot she told me it was me yet less than 100 ft away the 2 Dr's in there exam rooms had fans and the clinic nurse also had a fan because it was HOT I aksed if I could bring in a fan was told it was a security issue so I asked multiple times if they could provide me one.. I never got one...The heat was just too much for me...
-Clinical staff being managed by non-clinical management with a minimal medical background

If one likes a hot ,dirty, enviroment with lack of basic nursing supplies by all means work at this facility.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the roof of the medical building clean up the rodent/insect feces.Provide fans or adequate AC, drinkable water, and a clean environment for your nursing staff properly train them and provide the needed supplies for a nurse

Former employee

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wexford Health Sources full-time for more than a year

ProsNone, zero, zilch, nonexsistent, I would say they do not deserve to be in business-please refer to WHY the State of Arizona threw them out!!

ConsPractice medicine based on the dollar, unethical, unproessional, no respect for hard work, violate your HIPPA privacy laws, does not tolerate criticism well, does not want to hear the truth, they'll steal from you by altering the time clock.........they suck

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of medicine

Has been a good company to work for. I would give it 5 stars if it weren't for the retirement account constraints.

Physician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wexford Health Sources full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFor a physician it is a good life--where else can you get paid holidays and vacation and weekends off? You are on call 24/7 but it is very rare that you would need to go in to the facility on a day off. Good pay and good local Wexford employees to work with in southern IL. Most of the staff in Pittsburgh with whom I've dealt have also been great. I worked with another correctional health company and have found Wexford to be a much better employee--more concerned with patients' health. We've been able to provide good essential healthcare to our patients, something most of them have never had. The nurses and staff assistants have a good retirement plan and I think the pay is very competitive (in this area they make much more than they could make at the hospital).

ConsThe retirement plan for non-management physicians is very poor--severely limited in what the physicians can place into retirement. I've dealt with one management person I felt was unprofessional, but overall, I have not had complaints with the management, either in IL or corporate.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to allow physicians access to other avenues for retirement planning. I'm not certain but I believe that management has a different retirement plan. Physicians, however, are limited to putting 4% of salary into the 401k. That makes it difficult to save, which is ultimately why I'm leaving the company.

Good benefits, excellent pay

RN (Current Employee)
Pontiac, IL

I have been working at Wexford Health Sources full-time for less than a year

ProsThe pay is awesome and benefits are too.

ConsWork environment is sometimes not so great.

Staff Assistant

Staff Assistant (Former Employee)
Dixon, IL

I worked at Wexford Health Sources full-time for more than 3 years

ProsUnion benefits, good time off, good insurance

ConsThey don't seem to have a whole lot of regard for your work

Advice to Senior Managementtreat people more professionally

Worked for Wexford Health Sources? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wexford Health Sources reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Wexford Health Sources CEO Mark W. Hale. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Wexford Health Sources employees.