Weyerhaeuser

www.weyerhaeuser.com

Weyerhaeuser Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Doyle Simons

Pros
  • My boss is supportive when it comes to training and work/life balance(in 13 reviews)

• decent work environment, decent supervisor, interesting work(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Favortism is out of control and people are not held accountable if they are "in good" with middle management(in 5 reviews)

• CEO at that time did not relate well to senior management team or employees(in 4 reviews)

Sr IT Analyst

Senior IT Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGreat environment, flexible. Lots of room for growth.

ConsA lot of older mill "mentality" that can be hard to circumnavigate at times. The environment is changing, but if you are not used to it, it could be a challenge.

Long term career view

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Federal Way, WA

ProsOver the long years of employment (30 years) I was given great opportunities to have several different careers without leaving the company. Has been a good company and full of great benefits. When I started there was a great "Weyerhaeuser Family" presence and values.

ConsSince new outside President and CEO arrived in August of 2013 the company is changing. I thought he would be a good influence and bring the company separate business on a standard approach going forward, however, in my opinion it has backfired and we are more separated than in the past. At present there is a lack of appreciation for long-term employees and recent layoffs tend to be people with 20 and 30+ years. Leaders that are being kept on not people oriented leaders, but systematic, results only leaders. This can work for a couple of years but after a while, with more and more employee benefits disappearing and this type of leadership, people will leave. This may result in a company that can only attract mediocre employees as high performers will be able to go elsewhere. The new president has NO value or appreciation for our rich history -- very sad as a long term employee. I have seen, participate and adjusted in the many, many changes at Weyerhaeuser, however, during all those changes an element of striving for financial success and caring for their employees has always been present. Yes, I have lost a lot of benefits I had when I first started but still supported the company as our core values were still in place, but for the first time in over 30 years, I would not recommend this company.

They don't grow trees in Texas

ProsThe company used to be a great place to work. Very professional teams that wanted to do what's best for the company.

ConsThe new CEO has been making changes and decisions on how to model the business. The company centralized all support in 1999, and now they're going to a more distributed model which will cost more in the end.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was good to work for; now seems more focused on stockholders

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI have a great boss, which makes my job wonderful and overall the company is very concerned about employee safety. My boss is supportive when it comes to training and work/life balance. In past years, it's been great to work here--pay is good and I worked with an incredible group of very talented, smart and fun people.

ConsThe housing crash has made this company slash jobs--which was understandable for a while. But it's been going on now for nearly 7 years! Even though the economy is now improving and profits are up, they are still looking for ways to cut, cut cut---even when the cuts don't make sense. Recent changes are really impacting customers, which will definitely hurt the company in the long run. Both customers and employees are now taking a back seat to stockholders and the bottom line. I no longer trust that the leaders of this company. Their decisions seemed very short-sighted.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat your employees like numbers. Recognize the contributions that long-term, talented and knowledgeable employees give to this company. Stop being so short-sighted and realize that all this cutting and slashing will hurt your customer base--and your reputation--in the long run. You're also supplying your competitors with a lot of hard-working, talented employees!

Excellent company to work for

Lumber Sales (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsBenefits and salary packages. Training and defined goals facilitate success

ConsVery large company with many layers.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue leading the industry in best products and services. Invest in people.

Solid company that allows for personal growth.

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Federal Way, WA

ProsIndustry leader with a good reputation.

ConsSlower pace than other companies, but is more due to the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to your employees, many of whom have many years in the business.

Great Company

ProsGreat coworkers
    Career growth opportunities
    Proven company

ConsBusiness can be cyclical which can lead to uncertainty

12 years at a financially instable company

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) Federal Way, WA

ProsMany so called benefits, people trying to help you when you are in difficulties

ConsFinancially instabel company, lays off frequently and shuts down groups

Advice to Senior ManagementAppoint a technical person, engineer or scientist to lead the R&D

My experiene has been accademically fulfilling with great variety in the work I do.

Technician III (Current Employee) Federal Way, WA

ProsWonderful people, great safety culture, everyone cares about each other and it's a beautiful place to work.

ConsLike any corporation they are beholden to their shareholdes and as a result I have been through many rounds of layoffs. It is stressfull when it happens and hard to see your coworkers leave. Afterward it can be difficult to pick up the slack but you do.

More focused on stockholders earnings than on those taht sell and move product (employees)

Logistics Analyst (Current Employee) Federal Way, WA

ProsNone I can think of.

ConsExpect you to support all their PC left leaning causes.
    Focused on Stockholders NOT those that actually sell lumber, OSB or ELP.
    SG&A cuts irregardless of 200+ million in profits.
    Profits over people
    Leadership clueless on leading employees. All Management are cheerleaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire

Worked for Weyerhaeuser? Contribute to the Community!