Weyerhaeuser

www.weyerhaeuser.com

Weyerhaeuser Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Doyle Simons

Pros
  • My boss is supportive when it comes to training and work/life balance(in 13 reviews)

• decent work environment, decent supervisor, interesting work(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Favortism is out of control and people are not held accountable if they are "in good" with middle management(in 5 reviews)

• CEO at that time did not relate well to senior management team or employees(in 4 reviews)

Once a great company, the vision is now lost!

Contractor (Current Employee) Eugene, OR

ProsGreat people, Flex hours, challenge work enviorment

ConsAlways changing strategy and direction. Seems like layoffs or change every 2 years. Low moral.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to a strategy and stop trying to appease everyone

A mixed bag in Oregon

Millwright (Current Employee)

ProsA genuine and sincere focus on safety, which I laud, but..........Compensation is slightly above average, and health insurance is ok. Workload is reasonably to easy.

ConsVery slow to react, with the exception to safety. If safety were a salable commodity we'd have the corner, block, and city on the market, but its not. Don't misunderstand, I have worked elsewhere, to others safety is a word given lip service, here it is the real thing. Some things, however, need to be dealt with common sense.

A lot of talent and experience is wasted because of ineptitude, ego, and territorialism by middle management. Meetings, and the voluminous amount of Emails don't help me do my job; a Manager and Planning Dept. that are there to support me would. Work Orders that tell me my housekeeping responsibilities, or the need to review upcoming jobs for parts etc waste your time and don't benefit me.

In general, a lot of missed opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really need to buy into that people are your greatest asset!

Crappy management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat job security, benefits good, very educational a company that you can look forward toward retiring

ConsTerrible management. No bonus for sister mill, if you get hurt clearly company fault you will be fired, worst team members I've meet in my life. Management as well as team members always looking for your worst, never have anything positive to say about your performance regardless how much time and energy you give this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat team members like people. Do not micro manage every area of company. Reward females in your company without making them beg.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

only thing that doesn't change is the people at the top of the heap

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Federal Way, WA

ProsThe commitment to safety is genuine and many employees are honest and dedicated to the company. Salaried pay and benefits are good.

ConsStrategy changes like the weather and creates all kinds of uncertainty and confusion for frontline employees. The people at the top remain in place no matter how bad things turn out when the new plan doesn't work. When times are tight hourly employees get shafted on raises and profit sharing but managers always get raises and stock options. I love the safety commitment but the paperwork is over the top and seriously interferes with making money.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a plan and stick with it more than a year or two. Hold top managers accountable and let them share the pain with the hourly employees.

My experience at Weyerhaeuser included good pay and benefits.

Holtec Operator (Former Employee) Philadelphia, MS

Prospay, benefits, rewards, gifts, on the job training

Consweather conditions
    and heavy labor

Advice to Senior Managementteamwork, one on one interaction with employees

My experience at weyerhaeuser was the very worst i've ever been a part of.

Trimmer Operator (Former Employee) Vanceboro, NC

ProsThe best is the work experience, then dealing with people in general, after that it's learning exactly who you are. They'll push you.

ConsThe downside is that if you get hurt on the job and it's due to mechanical malfunction, THEY WILL TRY AND FORCE YOU OUT, BECAUSE FOR SOME PEOPLE THEY DON'T HAVE LIGHT DUTY. FRONT OFFICE BREAKS ALL THE RULES

Advice to Senior ManagementHOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOU WERE FORCED OUT OF A JOB AND NOT KNOWING WHAT WOULD HAPPEN NEXT. GIVING BAD REFERENCES AS WELL AS BLOCKING UN EMPLOYMENT. ALL TIME LOW LIFES

Finishing Area

Tallied Lumber (Current Employee) Titusville, PA

ProsThe benefits were decent, the pay was good for this small town especially without furthering your education. It was also a pretty steady company

ConsIt was alright at first but then things just kept going down hill. Feels like you are in school all over again.

Long-term employee

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Federal Way, WA

ProsGreat people to work with. Good values. Good compensation. Flexible work environment.

ConsAnother round of downsizing coming from the new CEO. The morale was just starting to improve. 2008-2012 was like going through a war. Just when we thought it was over, we have to worry if the next bomb is going to come down on us.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake thoughtful decisions during this next round of cuts so we don't lose all the great talent.

Maintenance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome of the people are good to work with

ConsMost of the people are not good to work with

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintenance management is lost, mill manager doesn't know where to find them

Opportunity Lost

(Current Employee)

ProsFlexible work schedule
    Decent benefits
    Promotes volunteerism

ConsPromotions are made through favoritism, chauvinism, and cronyism.
    The path to success - do not challenge existing ideas, processes, or implementation; be cunning and manipulative; accept only unaccountable responsibilities.
    Upper management views IT/software as a production line, rather than an innovative and creative process.
    Best practices are discouraged if they will extend an estimated work effort.
    Technical decisions are dictated by product management and business stakeholders rather than those with the technical expertise.
    Poor internal practices are reinforced by weak product management and a mandate by upper management that projects are released to both scope and date. Quality and usability are not a priority.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop only promoting from within for management positions. Reshuffling the same people throughout the organization does not bring new ideas to the table. External hires infuse a fresh perspective on old problems. For all the talk of desired change, nothing changes, if nothing changes.

Worked for Weyerhaeuser? Contribute to the Community!