Weyerhaeuser

Weyerhaeuser Reviews

Updated January 19, 2015
Updated January 19, 2015

Doyle Simons

Pros
  • My boss is supportive when it comes to training and work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• decent work environment, decent supervisor, interesting work (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / life balance can be hard most of the year with over time (in 4 reviews)

• Favortism is out of control and people are not held accountable if they are "in good" with middle management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Special Process Administrator

I worked at Weyerhaeuser

Pros

Great place to work! Great environment!

Cons

I have no cons about this employer.

Best place I have ever worked.

Former Employee - Maintenance Clerk in Simsboro, LA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Clerk in Simsboro, LA

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They are very big on safety. What I have learned, I have taken with me. Pay is good, as well as benefits. Very good people to work with, while I was there.

Cons

Long hours if you work shift, but well worth it with the time off.
    Very difficult to come back there, even if you leave on good terms and excellent work record, after 9 years with them.

Human Resource need to get a grip on their hiring. Letting good people get away, that have experience, to let people off the street, with none, come in just to get a paycheck.

I learned many skills.

I worked at Weyerhaeuser

Pros

I enjoyed working at Weyerhaeuser because of the benefits offered as an employee and to my family.

Cons

Working in the different types of weather was a challenge cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

Top heavy

Former Employee - Operations Associate in Easton, PA
    Former Employee - Operations Associate in Easton, PA

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, you get some good experience if you are the right "kind" of person. Some good people to work with.

Cons

Constantly taking something away from the production associates. Management tells you they want your opinion, but you quickly find out if it's not in line with theirs they pick you out, then shut you out, then find a reason to get you out. Too many cons to list.

Cut the fat. Give back to those who are actually keeping your business going. Managers regularly leave the site for personal reasons......(I.e. pick up kids, run errands and so on) should hold managers just as accountable for there time.

Human Resources

Current Employee - Human Resources in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company is commited to operating with integrity and has a tremendous safety culture. The company is performing strong financially. Compensation is competitive.

Cons

Shareholders are the company's key customer. The culture that considered the employee as a key stakeholder in decision making is gone.

New CEO is changing the culture

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation, benefits, Federal Way, WA location are attractive features.

Cons

Leadership is changing the culture and not for the good. Management is distrusted and there is skepticism over their real motives for moving the headquarters to Seattle. If you value job security, Weyerhaeuser is not the place to be employed. Downsizing and sell off of assets are constants at Weyerhaeuser.

Pay attention to the culture you are driving if you want to retain "Great" employees. Company use to be known for low employee turnover, this will quickly change as employees have become suspicious of managements motives and the security of their jobs.

100+ year company

Former Employee - Senior IT Programmer Analyst in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Programmer Analyst in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best part of Weyerhaeuser experience was its IT internship program and the relationships developed. I worked with an excellent team of people. Benefits were great.

Cons

Company business overall is changing in a market that has become quite competitive.

A formerly great company changing direction

Current Employee - Leader in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Leader in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great, hard working people working in Weyerhaeuser facilities who really care about each other, have deep roots in the forest products industry, and are very committed to meet the needs of their customers. Safety is serious value and is imbedded in everything.

Cons

An over 100 year old company which was built on creating sustainable growth and results for your grandchildren's generation has now evolved to caring only about the short term results to the shareholder. The company has progressed from 55,000 employees (with too much bureaucracy) to a 13,000 person company with no soul. Too leaders are only good at figuring out how to sell off everything for cash vs the ability to make those businesses successful. The engagement of employees has been slowly eroding in the last 5-10 years with senior leadership continually demonstrating their lack of respect and regard for the people who have built and sustained this formerly great company. Most employees were initially excited about the energy of the new CEO, but after a year it appears he is driven by ego and his short term name for himself.

Clearly the company cares only about looking good to the bankers and shareholder--without regard to the customer nor the employee who are all viewed as expendable. Do some serious thinking about what the results will be to the shareholder longer term if you are not taking care of the customer or your employees. Other companies with much greater financial returns think Weyerhaeuser has it backwards. Treat your employees as you would your finest customer. They will take care of the great customers. Do that right and you don't have to worry about the shareholder.

Communications

I worked at Weyerhaeuser

Pros

coworkers get along well. family environment. you feel like you are part of a welcoming community. everyone wants to do their best.

Cons

Old school leadership still slow to change. New CEO is a tool with a huge ego.

A company that struggles to pass the torch to the next generation.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great. Management was always considerate of work-life balance.

Cons

Weyerhaeuser struggles with developing new talent. Risk aversion is a common theme throughout the corporate office, and they want to feel 100% confident that you will be able to perform new tasks. Basically, if you are a young and ambitious individual; this isn't the place for you. This ultimately leads to missed opportunities with newer employees, and continues place a heavier burden on a lot of the aging staff, that have been there for many years, to complete what needs to be done.