Weyerhaeuser Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014

3.1

Doyle Simons

Pros
  • My boss is supportive when it comes to training and work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• decent work environment, decent supervisor, interesting work (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Favortism is out of control and people are not held accountable if they are "in good" with middle management (in 5 reviews)

• CEO at that time did not relate well to senior management team or employees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Change is a constant

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Many long term associates with a wealth of knowledge and market experience.

Cons

Many long term associates unwilling to embrace new tools and methods. Management lack of understanding of operational details.

Associates that always tell you what you want to hear are not the best candidates to lead the company.

Solid company

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time

Pros

Lots of good technical expertise

Cons

Long time for new employees to be accepted

Sr IT Analyst

Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great environment, flexible. Lots of room for growth.

Cons

A lot of older mill "mentality" that can be hard to circumnavigate at times. The environment is changing, but if you are not used to it, it could be a challenge.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Former Fortune 500 Good Ol' Boys Club

Former Employee - Operations
    Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The benefits used to be some of the absolute best in the nation.

Cons

After the Insiders Club comprised of the Board of Directors announced their "New Vision" for the company a few years ago, they all dumped millions of dollars of their own shares the following day, knowing they would be doing so since they had to file SEC documentation the week prior to doing so, sending the stock into a downward spiral from which it would never recover, leaving the rest of our retirement we'd spent years building to dwindle to nothing. They preach a safety and diversity culture while skirting around and covering for the people in management positions who fail to make the grade.

Pay the women equal to the men holding the same positions. Walk the Walk if you're going to Talk the Talk.

Long term career view

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Over the long years of employment (30 years) I was given great opportunities to have several different careers without leaving the company. Has been a good company and full of great benefits. When I started there was a great "Weyerhaeuser Family" presence and values.

Cons

Since new outside President and CEO arrived in August of 2013 the company is changing. I thought he would be a good influence and bring the company separate business on a standard approach going forward, however, in my opinion it has backfired and we are more separated than in the past. At present there is a lack of appreciation for long-term employees and recent layoffs tend to be people with 20 and 30+ years. Leaders that are being kept on not people oriented leaders, but systematic, results only leaders. This can work for a couple of years but after a while, with more and more employee benefits disappearing and this type of leadership, people will leave. This may result in a company that can only attract mediocre employees as high performers will be able to go elsewhere. The new president has NO value or appreciation for our rich history -- very sad as a long term employee. I have seen, participate and adjusted in the many, many changes at Weyerhaeuser, however, during all those changes an element of striving for financial success and caring for their employees has always been present. Yes, I have lost a lot of benefits I had when I first started but still supported the company as our core values were still in place, but for the first time in over 30 years, I would not recommend this company.

Excellent company to work for

Former Employee - Lumber Sales  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Lumber Sales in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits and salary packages. Training and defined goals facilitate success

Cons

Very large company with many layers.

Continue leading the industry in best products and services. Invest in people.

They don't grow trees in Texas

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company used to be a great place to work. Very professional teams that wanted to do what's best for the company.

Cons

The new CEO has been making changes and decisions on how to model the business. The company centralized all support in 1999, and now they're going to a more distributed model which will cost more in the end.

Was good to work for; now seems more focused on stockholders

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have a great boss, which makes my job wonderful and overall the company is very concerned about employee safety. My boss is supportive when it comes to training and work/life balance. In past years, it's been great to work here--pay is good and I worked with an incredible group of very talented, smart and fun people.

Cons

The housing crash has made this company slash jobs--which was understandable for a while. But it's been going on now for nearly 7 years! Even though the economy is now improving and profits are up, they are still looking for ways to cut, cut cut---even when the cuts don't make sense. Recent changes are really impacting customers, which will definitely hurt the company in the long run. Both customers and employees are now taking a back seat to stockholders and the bottom line. I no longer trust that the leaders of this company. Their decisions seemed very short-sighted.

Don't treat your employees like numbers. Recognize the contributions that long-term, talented and knowledgeable employees give to this company. Stop being so short-sighted and realize that all this cutting and slashing will hurt your customer base--and your reputation--in the long run. You're also supplying your competitors with a lot of hard-working, talented employees!

Solid company that allows for personal growth.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Industry leader with a good reputation.

Cons

Slower pace than other companies, but is more due to the industry.

Listen more to your employees, many of whom have many years in the business.

Great Company

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time

Pros

Great coworkers
    Career growth opportunities
    Proven company

Cons

Business can be cyclical which can lead to uncertainty

Worked for Weyerhaeuser? Contribute to the Community!