Weyerhaeuser Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
3.2

Doyle Simons

Pros
  • My boss is supportive when it comes to training and work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• decent work environment, decent supervisor, interesting work (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Favortism is out of control and people are not held accountable if they are "in good" with middle management (in 5 reviews)

• Culture of company took 180 deg change about 10 years ago after merger with another forest products company (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Weyerhaeuser. It is what you make of it.

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. All the ideas are considered and valued with an open door policy. Everybody works together to get things done.
    The opportunities are there if you want to work for them.

Cons

Benefits are getting cut every year even though profits are up. There is a definite class separation between hourly and salary.

TRY GETTING MORE TRAINING PROGRAMS. BRING BACK THE BONUS.

If you work in Federal Way, it's probably a good place to work. Not so much for other locations.

I worked at Weyerhaeuser

Pros

Good benefits and pay. For the most part they treat employees well. Room for advancement.

Cons

Bureaucracy. Big company mentality. Lots of layoffs. Lots of favoritism. If they can't see you in Federal Way they can't figure out how to work with you.

Up and Downs

Former Employee - Sales in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales in Columbus, OH

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary, Advancement, Benefits and Great Co Workers

Cons

They place everyone into a "position" and that is how they are compensated, however there were a few of us doing several "positions" but were never valued

You need to get out of the Good Ol Boys club and realize the value of all your employees

OK overall, stale and political leadership, lots of lifers

Former Employee - Project Manager in Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very focused on safety of employees. Individual teams tend to work very well together and be loyal. Very little advancement during the downturn, but a good incentive program if you are high enough up in the company.

Cons

Very political leadership team. Lots of egos and power plays. They talk a lot about growth and advancement but more words than actions. Lots of meetings that are a waste of time because the decisions are actually made with the cronies in the hallway.

Corp headquarters is like a library, zero pulse. Bring some energy into the company by getting younger and diverse workforce.

Middle Management is clueless but Branch Manager/Regional Manager are too!

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser

Pros

Used to be a great company to work for with good benefits. Leadership was 100% invested in the employee and the company so it was a win/win for all.

Cons

Over the past 5 years, some benefits (ie health care) have deteriorated. Some branches have not received raises in over 3 years. Lots of middle managers who are "yes" men to senior mgmt but to their employees they are rude, play favorites, don't totally understand their employee's work day and what is involved on a day to day work load. Favortism is out of control and people are not held accountable if they are "in good" with middle management. Everyone is not treated the same.

Clean house...open your eyes and look at what your middle management is telling you and then take that info to your lower level employees who are actually on the front lines and see if they jive. Guarantee that most of the time, your lower level employees (who are the GLUE) are seeing/hearing things totally different than your middle managers.

Change is a constant

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many long term associates with a wealth of knowledge and market experience.

Cons

Many long term associates unwilling to embrace new tools and methods. Management lack of understanding of operational details.

Associates that always tell you what you want to hear are not the best candidates to lead the company.

Solid company

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time

Pros

Lots of good technical expertise

Cons

Long time for new employees to be accepted

Former Fortune 500 Good Ol' Boys Club

Former Employee - Operations
    Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits used to be some of the absolute best in the nation.

Cons

After the Insiders Club comprised of the Board of Directors announced their "New Vision" for the company a few years ago, they all dumped millions of dollars of their own shares the following day, knowing they would be doing so since they had to file SEC documentation the week prior to doing so, sending the stock into a downward spiral from which it would never recover, leaving the rest of our retirement we'd spent years building to dwindle to nothing. They preach a safety and diversity culture while skirting around and covering for the people in management positions who fail to make the grade.

Pay the women equal to the men holding the same positions. Walk the Walk if you're going to Talk the Talk.

Sr IT Analyst

Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment, flexible. Lots of room for growth.

Cons

A lot of older mill "mentality" that can be hard to circumnavigate at times. The environment is changing, but if you are not used to it, it could be a challenge.

Long term career view

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Over the long years of employment (30 years) I was given great opportunities to have several different careers without leaving the company. Has been a good company and full of great benefits. When I started there was a great "Weyerhaeuser Family" presence and values.

Cons

Since new outside President and CEO arrived in August of 2013 the company is changing. I thought he would be a good influence and bring the company separate business on a standard approach going forward, however, in my opinion it has backfired and we are more separated than in the past. At present there is a lack of appreciation for long-term employees and recent layoffs tend to be people with 20 and 30+ years. Leaders that are being kept on not people oriented leaders, but systematic, results only leaders. This can work for a couple of years but after a while, with more and more employee benefits disappearing and this type of leadership, people will leave. This may result in a company that can only attract mediocre employees as high performers will be able to go elsewhere. The new president has NO value or appreciation for our rich history -- very sad as a long term employee. I have seen, participate and adjusted in the many, many changes at Weyerhaeuser, however, during all those changes an element of striving for financial success and caring for their employees has always been present. Yes, I have lost a lot of benefits I had when I first started but still supported the company as our core values were still in place, but for the first time in over 30 years, I would not recommend this company.