Weyerhaeuser Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
3.1

Doyle Simons

Pros
  • My boss is supportive when it comes to training and work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• decent work environment, decent supervisor, interesting work (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Favortism is out of control and people are not held accountable if they are "in good" with middle management (in 5 reviews)

• CEO at that time did not relate well to senior management team or employees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

only thing that doesn't change is the people at the top of the heap

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The commitment to safety is genuine and many employees are honest and dedicated to the company. Salaried pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Strategy changes like the weather and creates all kinds of uncertainty and confusion for frontline employees. The people at the top remain in place no matter how bad things turn out when the new plan doesn't work. When times are tight hourly employees get shafted on raises and profit sharing but managers always get raises and stock options. I love the safety commitment but the paperwork is over the top and seriously interferes with making money.

Pick a plan and stick with it more than a year or two. Hold top managers accountable and let them share the pain with the hourly employees.

My experience at Weyerhaeuser included good pay and benefits.

Former Employee - Holtec Operator  in  Philadelphia, MS
    Former Employee - Holtec Operator in Philadelphia, MS

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

pay, benefits, rewards, gifts, on the job training

Cons

weather conditions
    and heavy labor

teamwork, one on one interaction with employees

Finishing Area

Current Employee - Tallied Lumber  in  Titusville, PA
    Current Employee - Tallied Lumber in Titusville, PA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The benefits were decent, the pay was good for this small town especially without furthering your education. It was also a pretty steady company

Cons

It was alright at first but then things just kept going down hill. Feels like you are in school all over again.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Long-term employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people to work with. Good values. Good compensation. Flexible work environment.

Cons

Another round of downsizing coming from the new CEO. The morale was just starting to improve. 2008-2012 was like going through a war. Just when we thought it was over, we have to worry if the next bomb is going to come down on us.

Make thoughtful decisions during this next round of cuts so we don't lose all the great talent.

Maintenance

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time

Pros

Some of the people are good to work with

Cons

Most of the people are not good to work with

Maintenance management is lost, mill manager doesn't know where to find them

Very good place to work.

Former Employee - Green End Supervisor  in  Chester, SC
    Former Employee - Green End Supervisor in Chester, SC

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to work and move up you do not have already know everything they will train you.

Cons

A lot of hours and not enough family time.

Continue to promote from within.

Opportunity Lost

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    Decent benefits
    Promotes volunteerism

Cons

Promotions are made through favoritism, chauvinism, and cronyism.
    The path to success - do not challenge existing ideas, processes, or implementation; be cunning and manipulative; accept only unaccountable responsibilities.
    Upper management views IT/software as a production line, rather than an innovative and creative process.
    Best practices are discouraged if they will extend an estimated work effort.
    Technical decisions are dictated by product management and business stakeholders rather than those with the technical expertise.
    Poor internal practices are reinforced by weak product management and a mandate by upper management that projects are released to both scope and date. Quality and usability are not a priority.

Stop only promoting from within for management positions. Reshuffling the same people throughout the organization does not bring new ideas to the table. External hires infuse a fresh perspective on old problems. For all the talk of desired change, nothing changes, if nothing changes.

Where have all the intelligent people gone............???????

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Co-workers behaved toward and cared about each other as in a closely knit family.

Cons

Chauvenism is alive and well within the "Good Ole Boys" club at the top. No chance for women to advance except for the token few and the men aren't even afraid to say so to their faces! It's sad that the only veteran management employees left are the ones that were paid the least to begin with and really have no clue about which way to turn when they get to a new crossroad. Ethics Committee and Human Resources are in place to help management only. Do not contact them if you need the information to be kept confidential or are looking for resolution involving conflict with management.

Pay men and women the exact same salaraies when they're performing the same job or even more, across the board, and you'll find yourself retaining a larger percentage of intelligent people.

Good HR policies and practices

Current Employee - IT Consultant  in  Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Like the culture, people and short commute. Love my job supporting SAP. Believe in the mission and goals of the company and am very impressed with emphasis on safety for all workers, employees and contractors.

Cons

Not a technology company and does not adopt new technology trends as quickly. It is mainly detrimental to my type of career as I don't get to use the latest operating system (Windows XP on my desktop) or new apps as quickly as I'd like to. Leadership mentoring and career advancements are not plentiful.

There is tendency to be slow to adopt new ideas and trends. Inject more urgency in decision-making and not get mired in bureaucracy.

Integration Technical Support

I worked at Weyerhaeuser

Pros

A good work life balance...

Cons

Top heavy at management level...

Worked for Weyerhaeuser? Contribute to the Community!