Weyerhaeuser

Weyerhaeuser Reviews

Updated January 19, 2015
Updated January 19, 2015

Doyle Simons

Pros
  • My boss is supportive when it comes to training and work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• decent work environment, decent supervisor, interesting work (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / life balance can be hard most of the year with over time (in 4 reviews)

• Favortism is out of control and people are not held accountable if they are "in good" with middle management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

My experiene has been accademically fulfilling with great variety in the work I do.

Current Employee - Technician III in Federal Way, WA
    Current Employee - Technician III in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Wonderful people, great safety culture, everyone cares about each other and it's a beautiful place to work.

Cons

Like any corporation they are beholden to their shareholdes and as a result I have been through many rounds of layoffs. It is stressfull when it happens and hard to see your coworkers leave. Afterward it can be difficult to pick up the slack but you do.

Crappy management

I worked at Weyerhaeuser

Pros

Great job security, benefits good, very educational a company that you can look forward toward retiring

Cons

Terrible management. No bonus for sister mill, if you get hurt clearly company fault you will be fired, worst team members I've meet in my life. Management as well as team members always looking for your worst, never have anything positive to say about your performance regardless how much time and energy you give this company.

Treat team members like people. Do not micro manage every area of company. Reward females in your company without making them beg.

only thing that doesn't change is the people at the top of the heap

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The commitment to safety is genuine and many employees are honest and dedicated to the company. Salaried pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Strategy changes like the weather and creates all kinds of uncertainty and confusion for frontline employees. The people at the top remain in place no matter how bad things turn out when the new plan doesn't work. When times are tight hourly employees get shafted on raises and profit sharing but managers always get raises and stock options. I love the safety commitment but the paperwork is over the top and seriously interferes with making money.

Pick a plan and stick with it more than a year or two. Hold top managers accountable and let them share the pain with the hourly employees.

My experience at Weyerhaeuser included good pay and benefits.

Former Employee - Holtec Operator in Philadelphia, MS
    Former Employee - Holtec Operator in Philadelphia, MS

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pay, benefits, rewards, gifts, on the job training

Cons

weather conditions
    and heavy labor

teamwork, one on one interaction with employees

My experience at weyerhaeuser was the very worst i've ever been a part of.

Former Employee - Trimmer Operator in Vanceboro, NC
    Former Employee - Trimmer Operator in Vanceboro, NC

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best is the work experience, then dealing with people in general, after that it's learning exactly who you are. They'll push you.

Cons

The downside is that if you get hurt on the job and it's due to mechanical malfunction, THEY WILL TRY AND FORCE YOU OUT, BECAUSE FOR SOME PEOPLE THEY DON'T HAVE LIGHT DUTY. FRONT OFFICE BREAKS ALL THE RULES

HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOU WERE FORCED OUT OF A JOB AND NOT KNOWING WHAT WOULD HAPPEN NEXT. GIVING BAD REFERENCES AS WELL AS BLOCKING UN EMPLOYMENT. ALL TIME LOW LIFES

Finishing Area

Current Employee - Tallied Lumber in Titusville, PA
    Current Employee - Tallied Lumber in Titusville, PA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits were decent, the pay was good for this small town especially without furthering your education. It was also a pretty steady company

Cons

It was alright at first but then things just kept going down hill. Feels like you are in school all over again.

Long-term employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Federal Way, WA

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Good values. Good compensation. Flexible work environment.

Cons

Another round of downsizing coming from the new CEO. The morale was just starting to improve. 2008-2012 was like going through a war. Just when we thought it was over, we have to worry if the next bomb is going to come down on us.

Make thoughtful decisions during this next round of cuts so we don't lose all the great talent.

Maintenance

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time

Pros

Some of the people are good to work with

Cons

Most of the people are not good to work with

Maintenance management is lost, mill manager doesn't know where to find them

Where have all the intelligent people gone............???????

I worked at Weyerhaeuser full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers behaved toward and cared about each other as in a closely knit family.

Cons

Chauvenism is alive and well within the "Good Ole Boys" club at the top. No chance for women to advance except for the token few and the men aren't even afraid to say so to their faces! It's sad that the only veteran management employees left are the ones that were paid the least to begin with and really have no clue about which way to turn when they get to a new crossroad. Ethics Committee and Human Resources are in place to help management only. Do not contact them if you need the information to be kept confidential or are looking for resolution involving conflict with management.

Pay men and women the exact same salaraies when they're performing the same job or even more, across the board, and you'll find yourself retaining a larger percentage of intelligent people.

Opportunity Lost

I have been working at Weyerhaeuser (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    Decent benefits
    Promotes volunteerism

Cons

Promotions are made through favoritism, chauvinism, and cronyism.
    The path to success - do not challenge existing ideas, processes, or implementation; be cunning and manipulative; accept only unaccountable responsibilities.
    Upper management views IT/software as a production line, rather than an innovative and creative process.
    Best practices are discouraged if they will extend an estimated work effort.
    Technical decisions are dictated by product management and business stakeholders rather than those with the technical expertise.
    Poor internal practices are reinforced by weak product management and a mandate by upper management that projects are released to both scope and date. Quality and usability are not a priority.

Stop only promoting from within for management positions. Reshuffling the same people throughout the organization does not bring new ideas to the table. External hires infuse a fresh perspective on old problems. For all the talk of desired change, nothing changes, if nothing changes.