Whataburger

Whataburger Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Whataburger CEO Preston Atkinson

Preston Atkinson

Pros
  • Good hours, Some decent coworkers, some nice regulars, flexible hours (in 4 reviews)

• Good hours, good pay, fun staff (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad management, unfair treatment all around (in 3 reviews)

• no job security high turnover un fair conditions no matter how good you are you are just a number (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Whataburger is filled with opportunities; if you can wait long enough.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsDiscounts at the restaurants; one week vacation to start, two weeks after one year; compensation is on par with the expected San Antonio economy.
    Recently implemented scheduling policies, so absences count against you and can lead to disciplinary action.

ConsYou must have the patience of an ascended master - progress, like a change in a process or movement (like promotions) take an absurd amount of time.
    There is hardly any communication, not only between departments, but from leadership down to analysts. You could have something amazing in the works, but you'd never know because no one would tell you.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your employees, ESPECIALLY the one's you want to promote. Let them know your intentions and invite them into that 'circle of trust' to help in the decision for their career with Whataburger.

Great place to work

Team Member (Current Employee) Katy, TX

ProsPay is amazing. The employees are welcoming and friendly. Managers are very nice, patient, and fun to talk to. Customers are great. Training is pretty quick and easy. It's just a great experience every single shift.

ConsMenu takes a while to get down but you will get it don't stress it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to review the menu with the employees a little bit more please

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

This company is the epitome of a good company

Intern (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsI worked in the Home Office and it was great - all professionals, all people who truly care about the company and the company cares about them. I really did believe in their mission and how well they cared for their customers.

ConsI wasn't here long enough to see many negatives, but the hiring process was rather long. Some people didn't hear back for six months after an interview.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

assistant manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proseasy job if you like fast food and customer service

ConsLOTS of hours if not you don't get overtime and your pay is bad

Its a good place to work

Whataburger (Current Employee) Corpus Christi, TX

ProsGood pay
    Good hours
    Good job for high schoolers

ConsWhen there are people short
    People call in

Advice to Senior ManagementBe ready to work long and hard

It was the best first job anyone could have

Team Member (Former Employee) Denton, TX

Prosguaranteed hours
    401k plan and the benefits are great!
    nice people
    all the employees were very nice

Conslow wages
    externals get paid more then internals

Advice to Senior Managementstart noticing people for the work they do and not just by them kissing your butts, a little appreciation can go a long way

Great introductory management experience

Manager (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsWell established training protocols and great pay for the type of job it is (fast food). Great family that you work with, everyone in the entire company is nice.

ConsThe schedule sucks. 50+ hours a week but you're considered hourly at least so you get paid the overtime...only time that sucks is the rare chance you don't make your 50 hours and you count on that pay...

Advice to Senior Managementthere needs to be more of a work-life balance. Consider working managers 40 hours a week and pay someone else the 30 hours of overtime you'd be saving....just a thought.

Experienced in customer service

Customer Serivse (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat work environment and friendly people

Consrigid corporate structure, inflexible hours

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are paid below average for what they are worth, and great people are not paid great wages.

Good opportunity to grow.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and opportunities to grow.

ConsIts a 24 hr restaurant long shifts

Great company with a few challenges

IT Department (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGreat work environment, flexible schedule, discounted meals.

ConsBenefits lag behind other companies due to the large number of employees that work in the restaurants. Political environment as you go up the food chain that gets in the way.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love working at Whataburger. Please don't ruin it by trying to push a specific agenda or plan that you think will make you look good. Listen to your people and take recommendations from the knowledgeable staff that you hire.

Worked for Whataburger? Contribute to the Community!