Whataburger

Updated January 18, 2015
3.5

Whataburger CEO Preston Atkinson
Preston Atkinson

Pros
  • Flexible hours, if in need of all forty hours or just twenty the hours are always there (in 6 reviews)

• Pretty good pay and benefits after 3 months (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • quality of life poor schedule makers (in 3 reviews)

• Its a 24 hr restaurant long shifts (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company, Great Family

Current Employee - Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Manager in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Whataburger full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great pay, treated well, family traditions still a part of the way they do business. Like all companies money matters but not as much as their employees.

Cons

If you are a manager and you are thinking of switching to this company for something easier, you need to look elsewhere. Managers here get their hands dirty. It's a great job but it's not for the lazier manager.

Well mannaged, fast paced, and allot of work.

Current Employee - Grill Cook in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Grill Cook in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Whataburger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pays ok. Has good management.

Cons

Only half off meals (for you and one other person though) have to work your butt off every day. Loads of company procedures you have to know to do perfectly.

Be more lax on your procedures, I don't think it will matter if the meat finishes cooking bottom down.

General Manager 2 years

Current Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Whataburger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, people are generally pretty good to work for, opportunity for advancement

Cons

24 hour operation (big one). No vacation until you complete 1 year of employment

To much paperwork to do.

Management

Current Employee - Manager Job Step I in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Manager Job Step I in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Whataburger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Monthly bonus dependent on previous quarter performance, 401k, health (medical, dental, vision, AD&D) insurance, profit sharing, 50% employee discount (applies to any location if management and above), flexible hours due to being open 24-hours, overtime almost guaranteed depending on location, high performance standards, travel opportunities, growth opportunities

Cons

Not very flexible with hours, but they make a great attempt at accommodation as long as it doesn't hurt the unit

Learned a lot, met great people, miss it very much

Former Employee - Team Member in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Team Member in El Paso, TX

I worked at Whataburger part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a great start as a first job. Learned a variety of jobs from cashier, to cook, to drive-thru. Gained a whole lot of experience with customer service. The other employees were definitely a great team. They were all very helpful in teaching and training me to do everything and calmed my nerves very much. I met great friends whom I still hang with today. That Whataburger definitely created many memories and gave me great laughs

Cons

Of course you'll come across the occasional "I'd like to speak to the manager MLAH" kind of people but it's a matter of not losing patience with them and being cooperative as possible everything will be fine. The managers were nice and were great about teenage humor considering the evenings were pretty much only teenagers working. As long as none of it got out of hand they were ok with us. However, the general manager definitely would get in his moods. He'll be kind and greet you. But if one little detail was off he'd turn into a sasquatch....I'm exaggerating a little, yes. He just really wanted everything to be on the right track and would freak out a little if it wasn't but overall he was an ok guy

Now that we are integrating with corporate wb we have a ton of benefits.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Whataburger

Pros

All of the white collar perks: they pay for more than half of medical insurance costs they match 401k and managers and above get monthly bonuses.

Cons

They "require" managers and above to work a 50hr work week. If you are on salary they record your pay rate as if you are working a 40hr work week.

Pay more in wages up front because it takes forever to get a raise.

What A Hell

I have been working at Whataburger

Pros

I like having a weekly pay check

Cons

Always work past hours scheduled. Never get day off when ask off.

figure out how to schedule hours!

Decent for a first time job - Fast paced

Former Employee - Crew Member in Odessa, TX
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Odessa, TX

I worked at Whataburger full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Was given a good starting pay due to my location.

Cons

The location had poor management and the employees were never on time.

When I started working at whataburger, I gained a second family.

Former Employee - Team Member in Magnolia, TX
    Former Employee - Team Member in Magnolia, TX

I worked at Whataburger full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Firstly, Whataburger is one of the most delicious places around and I NEVER got sick of their food(even when I was working 40+ hours). Once you learn your stations and get used to working here(It should take around a month to get the hang of it), there are plenty of ways you can help others and show leadership. With team leaders constantly reminding everyone of what a good job they're is doing, there is always optimism in the store. Most employees are respectful and Whataburger (in my opinion) is the most classiest fast-food place around. There's nothing better than eating a fresh patty melt after a hard day's work with your fellow employees whenever you clock out too. If I wasn't going to college and if they pay was better, I would be content to work here forever!

Cons

Most of my paycheck goes back to Whataburger because the food is irresistibly good. One thing I tried to help out with at my store was training others. For instance, managers tend to force the new employees to do nothing but expedite, which doesn't help the store out because were only teaching these employees to take a tray to customers. Safety needs to be reinforced, especially with prep. There are way too many accidents that involve knives, and this will save headache in the long run.

Perhaps we could alternate positions and cross-train employees. I found that switching jobs every now and then made me look forward to coming to work. Managers might be able to organize a way to set "days" for new employees. For example, (I'll make up names) Josh can work fry-station one week and Sally can work front-counter. The next week they alternate. That way neither employee gets sick of the same job and they know both front-counter and fry-station. If someone calls out, we have 2 options: Sally or Josh to replace them. Additionally, I made our store a list of every possible thing to do for front counter, and this list actually motivated me to hurry and get everything done before the manager says anything. My goal was to be able to tell the manager I got everything done so that front-counter would be one less thing they worried about. If I were a GM (which would be amazing), I would do what my former general manager did and greet every employee with "good morning" as well as remember their names without looking at nametags. Unfortunately, you don't see that in every store. A huge factor is seeing what employees are good at. If it weren't for a manager by the name of Racheal Taylor, I would of never had a chance of working on the "board" or "production line." Other managers claimed that the job was too important for a new employee and decided not to teach me, however, Racheal disagreed and taught me herself. There came a moment one day, while we were getting slammed, when a different manager had to count someone's register and needed someone on the board. Fortunately, I was the only one with experience. I believe we need more managers like Racheal who can pick up on employees abilities. It shows that you care and builds a great relationship between you and your employee. Finally, one thing that had been bugging me was smoke breaks. I despised them. If I was ever a manager or team leader I would never let someone walk out to smoke on the clock. Unfortunately, that happened a lot at our store. We must remember there is a time and place. And that time is on break-on the employees own time. Same thing goes with checking cell-phones. If we can get written up for using cell-phoenes, why let someone go out and smoke? Perhaps we need to buckle down on our smoke breaks and make sure employees do this before and after work or on their break.

Loved it

I have been working at Whataburger

Pros

Pay is great also benefits

Cons

upper managemt crazy schedule hours

Whataburger Photos