Whataburger Reviews

197 reviews filtered by

1. What was once a fun job, has turned into a constant headache

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Whataburger (less than a year)

Pros

Weekly paycheck
    Gain tremendous experience if given opportunity
    Employee discount
    Meet vast array of new people
    Gives you a true sense of responsibility if it is your first job

Cons

Don't get enough hours
    General manager doesn't consider medical situations which affect someone's availability
    Does not work well with schedule at all for certain employees
    Almost always either extremely short staffed, or way too many people.
    General manager plays favoritism big time!
    People who work their butts off, rarely get any type of recognition when they do everything right, but once they do one little thing wrong, everyone suddenly recognizes them then
    Not a lot of leadership skills shown from the majority of the in store management team, gm included
    Benefits? Ha. You get medical insurance but it doesn't cover much! Utterly useless.
    Employees are not treated fairly, nor equally.
    Lunch rush can be very intense
    Not very well seen room for advancement opportunities
    Not very good in training new employees (personally, I was never actually trained except for front register/lobby and fry station, yet as of now, I know front register/lobby, fry station, drive-thru, bubble, expedite, gator, and a little bit of board. Again, never properly trained on any of that, I taught myself. However, do you think I've been recognized for it or complimented for teaching myself? Of course not.
    Also, the pay could be a little better.

Get a general manager who actually cares about their employees from their managers all the way down to the team members and who doesn't play favoritism, as well as someone who will help out in the middle of a rush, all the time, and not just stay in the office "doing paperwork" while everyone else works hard.
    Make advancement opportunities more attainable
    All do respect, the higher up management team(area manager, etc.) do not see the way things are on a daily basis in the store. Because once you arrive, whoever sees you first runs to tell everyone and suddenly, its like an entirely new store with new people working there. Everyone is on their best behavior, acting like everything is by the book, totally not the case.
    Pay closer attention to who you are putting in charge of your stores. Customers have even complained about certain managers and the general manager.

2. Liked it

Former Employee - Team Leader in Greenville, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Greenville, TX

I worked at Whataburger (less than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with.

Cons

Some co workers didn't respect people

Area Manager

Current Employee - Are Manager in Midland, TX
    Current Employee - Are Manager in Midland, TX

I have been working at Whataburger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company, and management is very committed to development of the team.

Cons

It take a lot of years to get promoted

5. Not for the weak

Current Employee - General Manager in Pensacola, FL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Pensacola, FL

I have been working at Whataburger

Pros

There are many great people.

Cons

As a general manager, if an assistant manager doesn't show up guess who gets to work an extra 10 hour shift? No work/life balance. Worked at company for years until corporate bought back the franchises in our area. That's when things went down hill.

Ensure that the restaurants always have enough managers to cover 24 hour operations. It is ridiculous for a restaurant to be short a manager for 6 months to a year.

6. Fast Paced

Current Employee - Team Member in Stephenville, TX
    Current Employee - Team Member in Stephenville, TX

I have been working at Whataburger part-time (less than a year)

Pros

pay is above average compared to other fast food chains
    works well around school schedule and requests off
    Payday every week
    Never have to work same position (grill, fry station, register) Good if you get bored of same job

Cons

Sometimes no breaks if you work during the afternoon
    Very fast paced
    very easy to fall behind rushes, which can last anywhere between 30min to 2hrs
    Pushed to work faster alot
    Never get to work same position (grill, fry station, register) Bad if you hate being trained on something new every week

develop a new system in kitchen that prevents falling behind tickets so easily

7. Great Company, Great Family

Current Employee - Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Manager in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Whataburger full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, treated well, family traditions still a part of the way they do business. Like all companies money matters but not as much as their employees.

Cons

If you are a manager and you are thinking of switching to this company for something easier, you need to look elsewhere. Managers here get their hands dirty. It's a great job but it's not for the lazier manager.

8. Was one heck of a job i never want again.

Former Employee - "orange Shirt" in North Richland Hills, TX
    Former Employee - "orange Shirt" in North Richland Hills, TX

I worked at Whataburger part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Meet people, customer service is the best thing to do i loved it! And discounts are always nice.

Cons

Never really cleaned our dishes like if you touch it you would be extremely grossed out, being the youngest you may find your self being taken advantage of.

Work with your "orange shirt" guys more we always love to have you help us out honestly, it's makes us feel like you care instead of watching and yelling at us, also please try and work with the people in high school, when I work there i was in high school and i had difficulty juggling my first job and school but it toke almost 3 months for my GM to actually change my schedule so i could keep both because she was on "vacation" let it be known she was on vacation 3 times a month.

9. Corporate Office Management

I worked at Whataburger full-time

Pros

Compensation pretty favorable for the San Antonio market. Discount on food is a nice perk. Bonuses are paid quarterly and are pretty reliable.

Cons

High control environment that inhibits leadership from actually leading. It appears as though decisions are made from emotion or fear rather than sound business decision making processes. Tenure trumps competency resulting in exceptionally high turnover rates. Compensation is good but it seeks to compensate for subpar benefits.

Allow your leaders to lead and provide employees the latitude to perform their job.

10. Well mannaged, fast paced, and allot of work.

Current Employee - Grill Cook in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Grill Cook in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Whataburger part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pays ok. Has good management.

Cons

Only half off meals (for you and one other person though) have to work your butt off every day. Loads of company procedures you have to know to do perfectly.

Be more lax on your procedures, I don't think it will matter if the meat finishes cooking bottom down.

11. General Manager 2 years

Current Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Whataburger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay, people are generally pretty good to work for, opportunity for advancement

Cons

24 hour operation (big one). No vacation until you complete 1 year of employment

To much paperwork to do.

Whataburger Photos