Wheelock College Reviews

2.0
CEO

1. Adjunct position

I worked at Wheelock College

Pros

Overall, this has been a good learning experience. I have improved my teaching skills, and learned how to tailor my courses to different student populations.

Cons

Adjuncts need to be instructed about course expectations in advance rather than mid-semester. This has been a huge issue, as I received minimal input as to what the content of the course was expected to be prior to teaching the course.

Advice to Management

Adjuncts need to be instructed on what the course expectations are prior to teaching the course.

2. Great Mission - Horrible Bureaucracy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wheelock College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company benefits are decent enough and the 75% off the T pass is great and many departments are very flexible about working with you on your schedule.

Cons

- Too much bureaucracy and very little transparency.
    - Decisions are made that affect numerous departments without consulting those "on the ground," causing turmoil and ill-will.
    - Faculty and staff are not treated well by the administration. When one group complains the other group suffers.
    - There are at least three, if not four, different pay systems: students on one (biweekly), some hourly staff on one (weekly), some staff on another (monthly) and ten month contract workers.

Advice to Management

This isn't Harvard or MIT or a big named school, it's Wheelock which has an excellent mission and has provided amazing teachers, social workers and child life specialists to the world. Spend more time nourishing what we have and less time striving to "make a name" for us.

3. Eh

Former Employee - Student Advisor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Student Advisor in Boston, MA

I worked at Wheelock College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great bosses, great mission, great people.

Cons

benefits. very small stipend. separation between leadership roles that create tension between student leaders. the marketing department is absolutely horrendous and does not listen to the needs of the students or employers, and is not at all concerned with advancing the mission of the school.

Advice to Management

let the academic advisors do what they want with the programs. there is way, way too much bureaucracy within the college. My bosses (the academic advisors) are more than capable of handling their jobs, and higher ups need not get involved.

Great students, terrible administration

I worked at Wheelock College full-time

Pros

The students here are all fantastic and it's rewarding to support them. Also great coworkers for the most part. Lots of vacation time and decent benefits.

Cons

Very low pay (except for upper management) with no actual raises ever. Lack of vision and direction. Mediocre, lazy, and outright incompetent employees are treated exactly the same as very good employees. The institution constantly spends money on consultants, but doesn't ever make suggested changes.

Long hours, poor communication, and lack of shared vision/direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wheelock College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A wonderful mission (to improve the lives of children and families) and great students and faculty and staff who are strongly motivated to do just that.

Cons

No one seems to really listen to anyone else. Everyone is on their own individual mission or occasionally a small team works together toward a goal, but nothing campuswide. Too much division and isolation.

Lots of tiny departments (1-2 people) tasked with an astonishing breadth of work and bogged down in far too many meetings with far too many attendees.

Concerns from the front lines never seem to reach the upper management, or in the rare case that they do, the response is out of left field or way too late or completely out of proportion.

Seemingly no understanding of data, though charts and numbers are often paraded around to "support" various claims.

Very little possibility for promotion or growth, though more recently there seems to be a small shift toward supporting employee training and growth.

7. Fairly positive overall experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Wheelock College full-time

Pros

Within my department, I felt well-supported by my supervisor and got along well with my colleagues. I was able to work on a variety of projects based on my interests.

Cons

There's a good deal of micro-managing that goes on here- may have to do with a lack of trust that employees will execute their jobs in a satisfactory manner. Not fun to be micro-managed.

Advice to Management

Senior management didn't seem to know who I was.

Caustic Environment Ruled by Masochists

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wheelock College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The students, faculty and much of the staff are great, intelligent people.

Cons

Most of the administration use employees like batteries, create a suffocating atmosphere of too many duties and responsibilities, and continue to pile it on without giving you or your colleagues any resources.

Advice to Management

To some directors and most of the VPs - whatever you think you have for little resources your reports and their reports are the ones that have to live with it. You can and do go home at the end of the day, much of the staff does not.

This was a difficult environment to be in because various departments could support a uniform message.

Former Employee - Administration in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Administration in Boston, MA

I worked at Wheelock College

Pros

The students and faculty are exceptional. This is an environment where the students are passionate about their aspirations and the faculty work to support them. Upper management is not resistant to change & supports students & families.

Cons

Mid management were self absorbed and didn't nourish employees. Individual departments did not promote a healthy work environment. The students were not put 1st by all administrators.

Advice to Management

Ensure the mission of the college is well supported by employees.

Managed like a corporation as opposed to an academic institution.

Current Employee - Librarian in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Librarian in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wheelock College

Pros

Can be used as a stepping stone for a better job. Glorious job titles with numerous responsibilities.
    A small college offers less bureaucracy and more room for creativity, even though funding at the most basic level might be a deterrent.
    Can obtain a free education, though courses are focused mainly on education and social work and you can only take one course a semester.

Cons

More interested in public relations and numbers than in providing a quality academic learning environment.
    Very little opportunity for professional development and growth.
    Lengthy, time consuming reviews followed by extremely poor or no salary increases.
    Job overload. When a person leaves, they may not be replaced while others take on added responsibilities with no compensation in any way (financially, through time off, or with basic appreciation).
    Benefits are poor. The healthcare costs and parking fees alone will break the bank.

Advice to Management

Very poor communication all across campus (both individually and departmentally).
    A lack of respect for hard working and dedicated employees and a lack of discipline for poor performers.
    Superficial/poor understanding of the overall academic environment. VPs at college meetings ask for educational input from people not qualified (or compensated) to give such advice, such as the facilities department.

11. Couldn't have been treated much worse.

Current Employee - Resident Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Resident Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wheelock College

Pros

Free place to live in Boston

Cons

Senior leadership ranged from incompetent to cruel. To this day, I can't believe how badly I was treated at this job by several leaders in the administration. I was once yelled at for assisting an elderly man through the wrong entrance by a VP.

Glad I work for a great school now.

Advice to Management

None

RSS Feed </> Embed