Wheelock College
www.wheelock.edu Boston, MA 150 to 499 Employees

Wheelock College Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Decent place to work, nice students

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Wheelock College as a contractor for less than a year

ProsSmall classes, close contact with students, city campus

Cons$3,500 per course as an adjunct faculty member is very low, nearly exploitative.

Fairly positive overall experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Wheelock College full-time

ProsWithin my department, I felt well-supported by my supervisor and got along well with my colleagues. I was able to work on a variety of projects based on my interests.

ConsThere's a good deal of micro-managing that goes on here- may have to do with a lack of trust that employees will execute their jobs in a satisfactory manner. Not fun to be micro-managed.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management didn't seem to know who I was.

Caustic Environment Ruled by Masochists

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Wheelock College full-time for more than a year

ProsThe students, faculty and much of the staff are great, intelligent people.

ConsMost of the administration use employees like batteries, create a suffocating atmosphere of too many duties and responsibilities, and continue to pile it on without giving you or your colleagues any resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo some directors and most of the VPs - whatever you think you have for little resources your reports and their reports are the ones that have to live with it. You can and do go home at the end of the day, much of the staff does not.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This was a difficult environment to be in because various departments could support a uniform message.

Administration (Former Employee)

I worked at Wheelock College

ProsThe students and faculty are exceptional. This is an environment where the students are passionate about their aspirations and the faculty work to support them. Upper management is not resistant to change & supports students & families.

ConsMid management were self absorbed and didn't nourish employees. Individual departments did not promote a healthy work environment. The students were not put 1st by all administrators.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure the mission of the college is well supported by employees.

Managed like a corporation as opposed to an academic institution.

Librarian (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wheelock College

ProsCan be used as a stepping stone for a better job. Glorious job titles with numerous responsibilities.
A small college offers less bureaucracy and more room for creativity, even though funding at the most basic level might be a deterrent.
Can obtain a free education, though courses are focused mainly on education and social work and you can only take one course a semester.

ConsMore interested in public relations and numbers than in providing a quality academic learning environment.
Very little opportunity for professional development and growth.
Lengthy, time consuming reviews followed by extremely poor or no salary increases.
Job overload. When a person leaves, they may not be replaced while others take on added responsibilities with no compensation in any way (financially, through time off, or with basic appreciation).
Benefits are poor. The healthcare costs and parking fees alone will break the bank.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery poor communication all across campus (both individually and departmentally).
A lack of respect for hard working and dedicated employees and a lack of discipline for poor performers.
Superficial/poor understanding of the overall academic environment. VPs at college meetings ask for educational input from people not qualified (or compensated) to give such advice, such as the facilities department.

Couldn't have been treated much worse.

Resident Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wheelock College

ProsFree place to live in Boston

ConsSenior leadership ranged from incompetent to cruel. To this day, I can't believe how badly I was treated at this job by several leaders in the administration. I was once yelled at for assisting an elderly man through the wrong entrance by a VP.

Glad I work for a great school now.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

A terrible place to work, unless you want an M.A. in education or social work

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Wheelock College

ProsAs a stepping-stone to another job at a better employer in the Colleges of the Fenway.

ConsIf you are not a member of the ILT (Institutional Leadership Team), you, and your opinion, do not matter.

Employees are treated as expenses, and not resources or investments.

The educational opportunities are very limited -- you can take one undergraduate class per semester at one of the Colleges of the Fenway. The only advanced (i.e., Master's) courses you can take are at Wheelock -- so unless you want an advanced degree in teaching or social work, you will have to pay out of pocket, and the salaries at Wheelock are abysmal.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart appreciating your employees instead of worrying about keeping your seat on the gravy train.

Worked for Wheelock College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Wheelock College reviews and ratings. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Wheelock College employees.