Wheelock College

CEO

Eh

Former Employee - Student Advisor  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Student Advisor in Boston, MA

I worked at Wheelock College part-time for more than a year

Pros

great bosses, great mission, great people.

Cons

benefits. very small stipend. separation between leadership roles that create tension between student leaders. the marketing department is absolutely horrendous and does not listen to the needs of the students or employers, and is not at all concerned with advancing the mission of the school.

let the academic advisors do what they want with the programs. there is way, way too much bureaucracy within the college. My bosses (the academic advisors) are more than capable of handling their jobs, and higher ups need not get involved.

Great students, terrible administration

I worked at Wheelock College full-time

Pros

The students here are all fantastic and it's rewarding to support them. Also great coworkers for the most part. Lots of vacation time and decent benefits.

Cons

Very low pay (except for upper management) with no actual raises ever. Lack of vision and direction. Mediocre, lazy, and outright incompetent employees are treated exactly the same as very good employees. The institution constantly spends money on consultants, but doesn't ever make suggested changes.

Long hours, poor communication, and lack of shared vision/direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wheelock College full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A wonderful mission (to improve the lives of children and families) and great students and faculty and staff who are strongly motivated to do just that.

Cons

No one seems to really listen to anyone else. Everyone is on their own individual mission or occasionally a small team works together toward a goal, but nothing campuswide. Too much division and isolation.

Lots of tiny departments (1-2 people) tasked with an astonishing breadth of work and bogged down in far too many meetings with far too many attendees.

Concerns from the front lines never seem to reach the upper management, or in the rare case that they do, the response is out of left field or way too late or completely out of proportion.

Seemingly no understanding of data, though charts and numbers are often paraded around to "support" various claims.

Very little possibility for promotion or growth, though more recently there seems to be a small shift toward supporting employee training and growth.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent place to work, nice students

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wheelock College as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Small classes, close contact with students, city campus

Cons

$3,500 per course as an adjunct faculty member is very low, nearly exploitative.

Fairly positive overall experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Wheelock College full-time

Pros

Within my department, I felt well-supported by my supervisor and got along well with my colleagues. I was able to work on a variety of projects based on my interests.

Cons

There's a good deal of micro-managing that goes on here- may have to do with a lack of trust that employees will execute their jobs in a satisfactory manner. Not fun to be micro-managed.

Senior management didn't seem to know who I was.

Caustic Environment Ruled by Masochists

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wheelock College full-time for more than a year

Pros

The students, faculty and much of the staff are great, intelligent people.

Cons

Most of the administration use employees like batteries, create a suffocating atmosphere of too many duties and responsibilities, and continue to pile it on without giving you or your colleagues any resources.

To some directors and most of the VPs - whatever you think you have for little resources your reports and their reports are the ones that have to live with it. You can and do go home at the end of the day, much of the staff does not.

This was a difficult environment to be in because various departments could support a uniform message.

Former Employee - Administration  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Administration in Boston, MA

I worked at Wheelock College

Pros

The students and faculty are exceptional. This is an environment where the students are passionate about their aspirations and the faculty work to support them. Upper management is not resistant to change & supports students & families.

Cons

Mid management were self absorbed and didn't nourish employees. Individual departments did not promote a healthy work environment. The students were not put 1st by all administrators.

Ensure the mission of the college is well supported by employees.

Managed like a corporation as opposed to an academic institution.

Current Employee - Librarian  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Librarian in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wheelock College

Pros

Can be used as a stepping stone for a better job. Glorious job titles with numerous responsibilities.
    A small college offers less bureaucracy and more room for creativity, even though funding at the most basic level might be a deterrent.
    Can obtain a free education, though courses are focused mainly on education and social work and you can only take one course a semester.

Cons

More interested in public relations and numbers than in providing a quality academic learning environment.
    Very little opportunity for professional development and growth.
    Lengthy, time consuming reviews followed by extremely poor or no salary increases.
    Job overload. When a person leaves, they may not be replaced while others take on added responsibilities with no compensation in any way (financially, through time off, or with basic appreciation).
    Benefits are poor. The healthcare costs and parking fees alone will break the bank.

Very poor communication all across campus (both individually and departmentally).
    A lack of respect for hard working and dedicated employees and a lack of discipline for poor performers.
    Superficial/poor understanding of the overall academic environment. VPs at college meetings ask for educational input from people not qualified (or compensated) to give such advice, such as the facilities department.

Couldn't have been treated much worse.

Current Employee - Resident Director  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Resident Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wheelock College

Pros

Free place to live in Boston

Cons

Senior leadership ranged from incompetent to cruel. To this day, I can't believe how badly I was treated at this job by several leaders in the administration. I was once yelled at for assisting an elderly man through the wrong entrance by a VP.

Glad I work for a great school now.

None

A terrible place to work, unless you want an M.A. in education or social work

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Wheelock College

Pros

As a stepping-stone to another job at a better employer in the Colleges of the Fenway.

Cons

If you are not a member of the ILT (Institutional Leadership Team), you, and your opinion, do not matter.

Employees are treated as expenses, and not resources or investments.

The educational opportunities are very limited -- you can take one undergraduate class per semester at one of the Colleges of the Fenway. The only advanced (i.e., Master's) courses you can take are at Wheelock -- so unless you want an advanced degree in teaching or social work, you will have to pay out of pocket, and the salaries at Wheelock are abysmal.

Start appreciating your employees instead of worrying about keeping your seat on the gravy train.

Worked for Wheelock College? Contribute to the Community!