Whelan Security

Updated January 25, 2015
Updated January 25, 2015
3.1

Patrick A. Twardowski

Pros
  • Good part time job while going to school (in 4 reviews)

• Overtime was always available when you wanted it (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • In reality, they expected high quality for very low pay and that is how they're growing (in 4 reviews)

• Lastly, working with other officers and site supervisor is variable depending on the site (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I love going to work, but the benefits need improvement.

Current Employee - Shift Sergeant in Portland, TN
    Current Employee - Shift Sergeant in Portland, TN

I have been working at Whelan Security full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Prior to working with Whelan Security, I served my community for over 22 years as a sworn police officer in both Louisiana and Tennessee. In the past 22 years I have never worked with an agency that actually treated you like part of the family and not just an employee number. Whelan Security has been very good to me since I started working for it back in August of 2013. I can actually say that I love going into work in the mornings. I am currently a shift supervisor at Unipres in Tennessee and have a great crew of officers working with me. I also have a great working relationship with both of the account managers.

Cons

The benefits package has a lot to be desired. I thought being full time with Whelan would provide me and my family with a full medical package instead of the limited medical package it provides it's employees. This is an area that definitely needs to be improved upon.

The only advice I can give to my management is to re-evaluate the part time supervisors. A few of the part time supervisors have never been supervisors before and to me are too immature to hold the position of supervisor. I know that we are still improving on our staffing issues, so maybe it's time to re-evaluate the part time supervisors and maybe make some changes using some of the more qualified officers at our job site.

Nov 4, 2014Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review our company. We are thrilled to hear that you love coming to work every day and enjoy interacting with your local team members! As a family owned business ... More

Very horrible!

Current Employee - Security Officer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Whelan Security full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay really!! There is really nothing that's a pro!! No pros can't get straight answers for any thing!!

Cons

Management has no clue of anything! You can call and ask questions to the area branch and get no answer for days! Was lied to upon being hired! The core values are nothing to this company!! But the officers must up hold the core values and fallow them or you are gone!! Its not right for a us officers to have to fallow thru with something that the higher ups dont fallow!!

Get a grip on things quite telling your higher people to LIE to your officers!! The morale is very low have talked with the VP about this and nothing changes!! All we get as officers is NO COMMUNICATION FOR HIGHER UPS!! these things need to change!! WOUNDER WHY THERE IS SUCH A HIGH TURN OVER RATE THESE ARE SOME OF YOUR REASONS!!!! If you like to talk to me you could leave you email in a reply and ill email you or leave your number and ill call!!

Loose Morals

Former Employee - Security Supervisor in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Security Supervisor in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Whelan Security full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Supplemental hours and overtime readily available.

Cons

Upper Management is completely inept and extremely shady.

Stop nickeling and diming officers on uniform expenses, mileage and parking reimbursement and other extraneous fees. Stop threatening officers with termination if they fail to work "mandatory" overtime shifts. Stop expecting officers to be available around the clock, 24/7 or be "on-call". You pay $9.00 an hour, nobody is going to make Whelan Security their top priority and sit by the phone in case you need coverage for $9.00 an hour. Hire more competent officers and you won't be shorthanded all the time. Hire more competent upper management who are less concerned with getting out of the office by noon so they can hit the golf course, and more concerned with conducting actual interviews and maybe you'll have better officers. Promote officers from within instead of taking over new contracts from other security companies and keeping the existing security manager. Stop lying to your officers about advancement in order to dangle a promotion and swindle them into doing what you want them to do.

Jan 27, 2015Marketing Manager

Thanks for taking the time to review our company.

We are sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience during your time as a Whelan team member. At Whelan, we believe in providing the best
    ... More

It had its ups and downs.

Former Employee - Security Officer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Austin, TX

I worked at Whelan Security full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I knew what my schedule was on most days. I also was allowed to work overtime.

Cons

The location I worked had me walking for 12 hours straight and did not allow for breaks. I ended up getting burned out and my legs and feet ended up having nerves damage. I was fired for not being able to walk.

Provide better benefits such as health care.

Management never know what they are doing.

I have been working at Whelan Security

Pros

The overtime is offered and good.

Cons

Long hours, low pay, headache, and can't keep a site.

Good company.Good ethics. Good regional managers and staff.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Whelan Security full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was above average and promotion was rapid.
    Responsibilities sometimes exceeded compensation and were intense but working with police, fire and ems was a pleasure.

Cons

Site director of security was ridiculously under-qualified. No communication skills. No management skills. No interpersonal skills. Unfortunately, the regional manager had to back up the member of his management team despite indications that something stank at the site.

Screen your managers better. If a site shows a revolving door of personnel - you may have a problem.
    Also keep in communication with your customer (building management) and ensure their needs are being met.

Oct 6, 2014Marketing Manager

Thanks for taking the time to review our company. Career progression opportunities are one of the many benefits of being part of the Whelan team and we are happy to hear that you had such a pleasant ... More

Very different good start into the security industry.

Current Employee - Security Officer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Whelan Security full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Guaranteed hours are a pro.

Cons

No holidays off is a con.

Flexibility could be a thought.

When its time for Your Vacation, they automatically add the money on your check, so extra money for you.

Current Employee - Security Officer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Whelan Security full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you love making money, they have plenty of overtime to offer, and it's easy money, can't beat that.

Cons

Sometimes Medicals can get real, but knowing that your helping others is always a good feeling.

If you offered more benefits,it would be a much better company than what it already is...

Sep 23, 2014Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to review our organization. We appreciate your candid remarks and will share them with our management team.

At Whelan, our people are our greatest asset, so we remain
    ... More

The Employee Cash Cows are patronized, lied to, and dispensable.

Current Employee - Whelan Officer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Whelan Officer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Whelan Security full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You make a bit of money and you can go home sleeping at night without a guilty conscience.

The job is definitely flexible when it come to the hours when dealing with your work life.

They're always hiring. Primarily because a lot of people cannot get to the final stage of hire, or the fact that many employee's quit working for Whelan.

Cons

The company likes to draw new workers in by portraying an image of the company that is contradictory to what is executed. Moving up in the company is a matter of circumstance and favoritism.

They'll easily put you in a climate or condition that can be hazardous to your health with improper accommodations. Sometimes the supervisors and scheduling will lie to you to get you to work at certain places to fill spots.

Of course client bosses/managers can be arduous and trying, but if you are cunning enough you can appease them most of the time. They can take offense to the way you look, and decide that you're not fit to work at their site, so Whelan's HR or Service Managers will dispose of you and recycle you somewhere else. That fact that they want you to work open spots is actually a pro.

Communications from the office staff to workers is not satisfactory. Over the past few years they double and sometimes triple schedule officers at a post by accident. Temporary scheduling was very incompetent, but it seems to be better now.

No one is perfect, but some of the service managers and site managers in the office can be arrogant and condescending.

Lastly, working with other officers and site supervisor is variable depending on the site. I've seen one scrupulous site supervisor work 29 days in a row as a crutch to fill in for workers and open shift spots the office staff didn't find for him. Plenty of times he worked double shifts (16 hours) or only received a few hours of rest between working within 16 hours. Most of the time, you're working with people who have one common goal: do your job, don't sweat the small stuff, and go home peacefully. Honestly the only people I have ever had any grief working with were female whelan workers. I don't know why, but that's just the way it is.

If you wan't workers who will go the extra mile, be accommodating and give your workers respect. Empower them with praise and incentive. No one want's to feel as though they're just a body used to make the company money.

Long nights turning into longer mornings.

Current Employee - Field Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Field Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Whelan Security full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some flexibility in the schedule as a patrol supervisor.
    Working with a lot of different companies gives you a great perspective as a college student working through school.

Cons

Majority of the Account Managers were very rude people, but a few were great to be around. Same problems with any low-paying uniformed job, people treating you like you're beneath them or to stupid to get different work. The pay was poor in St. Louis but I hear other cities are better because they're unionized.

Your account managers and patrol supervisors need to be on a level playing field. If you expect patrol to fix account problems then they need to be treated as a team member, not just another security officer.

Sep 11, 2014Marketing Manager

Thanks so much for taking the time to review our company and for being a part of our team! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoy the flexibility that your job provides. As a college student ... More