Whelan Security Reviews

Reset

1. Court security

Former Employee - CSO in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - CSO in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Whelan Security (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was over the top. Way more income for the type of work required. Shows why our taxes are so high.

Cons

Forced to work full time when I only wanted and was hired for part time. Owners of the company are really greedy and need to fill positions so they could bill the Marshals Service for hours. Don't care anything about the Security Officers. Always badgering the officers to fill in days to work. Would be threatened with their jobs if they tried to take off. Great guys to work with,but management needs lots of soul searching.

Advice to Management

Grow some!!!

2. avoid please

Former Employee - Security Officer in Pomona, CA
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Pomona, CA

I worked at Whelan Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

to be honest i can't think of one good thing to say about my time working for this company

Cons

very very poor pay, no chance for advancements, horrible management

3. Security officer

I have been working at Whelan Security full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity for overtime if you have a flexible schedule.

Cons

Demand too much for the pay, little room for advancement or career progression, little job security.

Advice to Management

Ensure local management sets the right standard, is qualified, offer incentives for good officers.

Jul 15, 2015 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of Whelan. We appreciate your comments and encourage you to reach out to your local branch office or our Corporate Support Center to learn more ... More

5. security

Current Employee - Site Supervisor in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Site Supervisor in Phila, PA

I have been working at Whelan Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Company Very Fair Management

Cons

Hireing process is really long

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

6. Equal amounts of good and bad.

Current Employee - Security Officer in Port Angeles, WA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Port Angeles, WA

I have been working at Whelan Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steady work and schedule (at my site), received a yearly 50 cent raise, most of my coworkers are nice and decent people, not a difficult job.

Cons

Whelan unfortunately seems like one of those companies that will hire anyone with a pulse. Even as a Site Supervisor I was not made part of the process in hiring people at my site and my Branch Manager never came out to interview the people he hired. This left me stuck with people I would never have hired bringing down my team. With that it seems incredibly hard to get fired at Whelan so you may end up working with people who consistently break rules (or even the law) without ever really receiving punishment or losing their jobs for it. I worked with someone at my site who had crashed his car in the parking lot while screwing around, kept knives on his person while at work, had stolen an iPod he found in the parking lot, and would have his wife and kid come and hang out with him all day long while he worked. Through all of this he was never properly punished and eventually quit on his own to pursue another job after we had to put up with him for so long. Whelan also seems to have trouble keeping people in key spots. In the last 2 years I have had 3 different Field Services Supervisors and for long stretches we didn't even have someone at the position. Our Branch Manager left around 9ish months ago and they still don't seem to have filled the position while the FSS seems to be run ragged trying to do too much work because we don't seem to have the proper support or staff at the branch level. Even while our Branch Manager was here he mostly worked by himself and only had a Field Services Supervisor for 4 or 5 months then it was back to just him. Meanwhile the different sites suffer from the fact that one person is doing the work of several people and don't receive the proper attention they deserve. I have been told several times since my BM left that different people from Whelan would come visit my site and see how things are going and it never seems to actually happen. Another con specific to my site is a lack of over time. Also, having been with the company for 3+ years I kind of expected that when I decided I wanted to stay with the company and switch sites that I would be able to keep my current pay but was told that wasn't possible. I have been a good employee my entire time with Whelan but apparently they are not interested in rewarding loyalty. Whelan likes to boast about taking care of their people but when push comes to shove it doesn't quite seem like they are all that interested in accommodating their Security Officers. At that point I don't see why I shouldn't just go to another company when Whelan wants me to take a pay cut to stay with them despite my experience. Lastly I was told when I joined there would be training. But outside of the online classes I actually took to get the job and become a supervisor I have received zero other training.

Advice to Management

Please try to fill out your support staff at the branch level more adequately. Don't allow trouble makers to run amok at their sites causing issues for everyone else who works there. Visit your sites and actually talk to the people who work there. They know whats going on and most likely have a better handle on the situation at their site than you do. Also try to be more accommodating of your officers. The industry as a whole doesn't pay very well but we are asked to take responsibility for peoples lives and/or property so trying to get better pay for your officers might help as well.

Jun 11, 2015 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for submitting a detailed review of our organization. We appreciate the time you took to provide us with candid insight into your experiences as a Whelan team member. Your comments will be ... More

7. Great job

Current Employee - Security Officer in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Whelan Security

Pros

Great training programs. Knowledgeable, friendly supervisors. Only 8 hour shifts, as opposed to 10 - 12 being normal in this industry locally. Regular paydays you can count on.

Cons

Only 1 officer on duty at a time, at my location. Need better communication at times. Average pay, should be more for this industry.

Advice to Management

I cannot think of any advice to Management at this time. My interactions with them have been great.

May 27, 2015 – Marketing Manager

Thanks for taking the time to review our organization. We are happy to hear that you enjoy interacting with your local supervisors and that you have benefited so greatly from our training and ... More

Run away- it's horrible

Former Employee - Security Officer in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Whelan Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are absolutely no pros about this company.

Cons

Horrible work environment, low pay, incompetent coworkers, absent management, harsh work hours, no consequences for breaking company policy. This was the worst job I ever had. Branch management is a joke, they fired all their good officers and didn't care about the rest of us. They need to get it together. They do not even put in the effort to meet their employees and figure out what they need. No raises, no benefits, no vacation time (except a check that they tax and rip you off of hours you have worked). A cocowrker of mine had a parents pass away and Whelan did not give him any time off or any compensation for having to go to the funeral. Then when they demanded he come back after 3 days of burying his parent, they got mad and he quit. Another worker lied about being sick and they kept him on payroll for 2 weeks and offered his job back after he no-called no showed for 5 shifts when he was okay and partying with his friends. It's a joke.

Advice to Management

Get new management, when you cleaned house the company went down the drain. It's a disgrace.

OK Job, Low Pay, Monotonous Tedium, Poor Life-Work Balance

Current Employee - Security Officer in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Whelan Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My job is super easy. I mostly sit and watch the building lobby and 19 video cameras on 3 computer monitors. The people I work with are mostly good people. Overtime if you want it.

Cons

The things that make my job super easy, also make it super boring. There is little to no real training. Working nights and weekends, while my spouse works M-F 8 to 5, makes poor life/work balance. Above minimum wage pay--but not enough to make one want to stay. I get zero job satisfaction from sitting and staring. An over abundance of petty rules & regs.

Advice to Management

Get with the 21st Century. This is not the military, so easy up on the military style minutiae. Allow more flexible scheduling. And a lot of other ideas that they will not adopt.

Screwed Over

Former Employee - Security Officer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Austin, TX

I worked at Whelan Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is okay depending on the site.

Cons

They don't honor your two week notice. They just take you off the schedule and don't bother to tell you. And then they cut your pay to minimum wage claiming you left without proper notice. So what is a two week NOTICE again. And they wonder why they have such a high turn over.

Advice to Management

Don"t screw over employees if you want a company to manage. Oh and lying is not good for business especially if your so call company motto is honesty. What a joke.

11. Unorganized

Current Employee - Security Officer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Whelan Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great locations throughout the entire loop, plenty of overtime, and very insightful tenants at some of the sites.

Cons

Mainly just lack of communication, favoritism, no field supervisor, and last but not least poor training ethics

Advice to Management

Come out unannounced to ensure fairness and make sure all of your officer are being adequately trained and get a first hand experience of the floor to set standards also make adjustments to bad habits on site that compromise the companies integrity.

May 12, 2015 – Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of Whelan. We agree that training is one of the most critical elements of a successful security program and fundamental to the performance of ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed