Whelan Security

Updated November 6, 2014
Updated November 6, 2014
3.1

Patrick A. Twardowski

Pros
  • Good part time job while going to school (in 4 reviews)

• Overtime was always available when you wanted it (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • In reality, they expected high quality for very low pay and that is how they're growing (in 4 reviews)

• Lastly, working with other officers and site supervisor is variable depending on the site (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Stop Hating on company and just make that Money.

Current Employee - Security Officer in Harlingen, TX
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Harlingen, TX

I have been working at Whelan Security full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I get the opportunity to help people and really make a difference like preventing crime and giving young people a positive influence. Awesome supervisors. I am proud to be a Whelan Security Officer.

Cons

Like any other job you are going to have some bad apples.

Keep up the great work

Glowing comments are probably phony and from manager kissers

Former Employee - Security Guard in Baltimore, NY
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Baltimore, NY

I worked at Whelan Security as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

They can work with you, if they put their mind to it, but you cannot criticize openly or honestly; they will kick you in the teeth.

Cons

All those glowing praises you read by reviewers are not the whole and complete story; like so many companies, they operate in a climate of fear and complete control; the EEOC said as much. They can do what they want - even lie and be totally unfair, if they want. The reviews that give 'glowing comments' are suspect: have you ever considered that the people who give this high praises are not honest, deliberately kowtowing to management in order to smooze or "suck in"? Honest comments would not always be so 'politically correct'. In the time I worked for this company I saw poor management, ignoring and shunning of opinion, lying, and inhumane and dangerous control! I don't believe a company that does this can be awarded such praise except by deception or deceit. These nefarious tactics seem to be part and parcel of our entire system, however.

Honor the rules of AMNESTY and like-minded groups, as well as human-rights groups (on down to the Geneva Convention), and strive for a completely honest and 'safe' environment, and not put your employees in harms-way through threat and deceit. I can't begin to tell you how many fellow employees had complaints but were afraid to speak out for fear. Many didn't portend to hold this Wonderland image. Many felt they were being pushed around or manipulated (far from the only company though). Some were actually put in unsafe conditions and environment. I don't think upper management realizes, and the full truth is filtered out. Maybe, like so many companies, they don't care. Maybe we all are living on a "reservation".

Warm and welcoming envrionment

Current Employee - Recruiter in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Whelan Security full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great hours, warm and welcoming team members, great work life balance, overtime if you want it, challenging and fast paced, everyday is a new and exciting challenge, branch management is respectful and treats you as an equal, yuo def feel that you can go to them with any issue that you are having and that they will try to accomodate you and help you solve the challenges you are facing, good benefits

Cons

more accountability for poor performers

engagment and recognition with the security officers in the field could use some work, bottled water for the office would be nice as well as a budget for branch functions

Whelan Security Response

Sep 11, 2014Marketing Manager

Thanks so much for submitting your review of Whelan. We are thrilled to hear that you have had such a positive experience and enjoy working with fellow team members and local management. We will ... More

We were more front desk information help in a suit and tie, than we were security

Former Employee - Security Officer in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Whelan Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sorry, I can not think of any.

Cons

We had to take orders from a security Director from another state that did not have that much security experiance.

Take care of your Officers that are contracted out to other businesses.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Security Officer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Whelan Security full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hours are good and the management is out standing!

Cons

A lot of work in the spring time at low pay!

Management should visit the account more freqently and give Whelan employees a raise after being on a site for more than a year!

Security Officer

Former Employee - Security Officer in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Whelan Security part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good part time job while going to school.

Cons

No benefits for part time employees

Unprofessional, rife with liars, cheats & Cowards

Former Employee - Security Officer in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Whelan Security part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay of $10.00 an hour, laughable! I worked part time at my other job and pay was $19 an hour.

Cons

They promise, deliver nothing, fire at will w/o reason, lie. Untrustworthy. Friendly appearance, devious in reality. No holiday bonus, card.

You're not God. You are working with real human beings not robots. They rely on your word & are trusting what you say. People need a job to make money to pay their bills but when you fire at will or lay off for no reason & w/o warning how are they supposed to pay bills? On $10 an hour & with all the work required at some sites the pay isn't comparable. Ask for a raise & they flat turn you down & how does anyone survive on $10 an hour while being screwed over by the company so $10 an hour quickly becomes $0 an hour due to their whims? Stop screwing over the people who work for you & are trying to do a good job & stop lying & being underhanded. No one in their right minds would want to work for you if they checked these reviews which I should've done before I signed on with you guys. You're all smiles & say we only hire the best trying to make newbies feel good but you're quick to treat that "best" employee like dirt & kick them out w/o explanation. You should be ashamed of yourselves for false advertising and having no honor especially regarding your treatment to ex military and ex police officers. You should be reported to the BBB.

Low stress job duties, high stress management

Current Employee - Security Officer in Decatur, IL
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Decatur, IL

I have been working at Whelan Security full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow officers at my post are excellent. Contracting clientele is excellent. Healthcare benefits are near outstanding.

Cons

Lack of communication, backstabbing, intimidation, entrapment, favoritism, internal politics.

Treat others the way you want to be treated. Hypocrisy removes all trust between an employee and management. Reward good employees. I go to work every day to do my job, and I only hear from you when I do something wrong.

Decrimination

Former Employee - Security Officer in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Iowa City, IA

I worked at Whelan Security part-time (less than an year)

Pros

work is easy provides a part time pay check you are able to make friends. you get to travel to NFL games anyone can take your drug test they will hire you at home and ask no questions

Cons

Upper management has no clue of lower management lower management makes their own rules, They play favorites and break so many rules and place the company in harms way. The upper management will only do damage control, and remove the injured ones not the supervisors no matter how bad. They discriminate to people who may have a mental disability despite the fact that the person performs well. They want bodies not hard workers.

Quit putting your head in the sand and rewarding ones for breaking rules, They really need to be hands not just at NFL games but at all events. Clients really have no clue til it is to late of what is happening.

It was a job, period. Okay for someone to use as a part-time supplement, not something to live from.

Former Employee - Security Officer
    Former Employee - Security Officer

I worked at Whelan Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It provides jobs for paychecks, when they have openings.

Cons

Many off-hour shifts, changeable schedules, minimal pay.