Which?

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Peter Vicary-Smith

A great UK pedigree. Friendly London publishing culture. Lacks quality vision at the top which may cost in the long run.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Which? as a contractor

ProsFriendly and has it's heart in the right place. Feels good, man!

ConsFor a rather small company it has a lot of inertia. Autocratic leadership out of depth in the digital age of publishing.

A company striving for best practices

Rails Team Lead (Former Employee)

I worked at Which? as a contractor for less than a year

ProsWhich is a very supportive environment for all technical personnel to excel. They are constantly aiming to implement best practices and it's a great environment to suggest improvements and then try to implement them. They use the latest versions of most things and host on modern cloud environments. They try to implement agile and scrum methodologies as best they can and are open to trying new ideas and tweaking the process if it's not working. They're very happy with technical personnel having a good work-life balance and things like "free beer Friday" and dress-up days aim to help people to socialise and bond with their team mates.

ConsThere are some issues surrounding the flow of work through the department, but I think these are teething issues as the department has grown rapidly and is still trying to find the right mix of people to optimise throughput.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust keep listening to the techies you have, having open discussions with them to try to come up with the best solutions possible.

Not for the faint-hearted

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Which? as a contractor for less than a year

ProsLots of amazing people, fun environment, fast paced. Cosy office with a pleasant buzz.

ConsLots of throwaway projects, extremely tight deadlines, incompetent middle-management. Possibly the biggest amount of office politics I've ever witnessed. The company culture is struggling to cope with the shift from paper to digital and there's no sensitivity whatsoever for running an IT office. No direction. Turnover is sky-high. Very poorly organised. Heard complaints from pretty much everyone there, which is a shame as the pool of talent they have is not bad at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a few key managers who have actual experience in running an IT department.

Poor place to work

Senior Developer (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Which? full-time for more than a year

ProsNice people. Good location. Great cafe. Good work-life balance. High quality of other engineers. Interesting development languages.

ConsTerrible management, treat developers poorly. Do not understand modern development techniques. Very bad place to be a permanent member of staff as contractors are paid far more and treated better.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign

Worked for Which?? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Which? reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Which? CEO Peter Vicary-Smith. All reviews posted anonymously by Which? employees.