Which Wich

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
3.4

Jeff Sinelli

Pros
  • Free sandwich at the end of your shift (in 5 reviews)

• My managers are super cool and laid back for one, but still make it known to take them seriously (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage, no matter what and high turnover due to that (in 7 reviews)

• Bad pay, high turnover, penny pinching owners, No support to management (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Personally, I like it.

Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Manhattan, KS
    Current Employee - Sandwich Artist in Manhattan, KS

I have been working at Which Wich part-time (less than a year)

Pros

My managers are super cool and laid back for one, but still make it known to take them seriously. The wiches are delicious and we get a great discount on them whether we're working or not. They definitely work around your preferred schedule and are super flexible. The pay is above minimum wage and its really an easy job once you get the hang of it. But that shouldnt be a problem because our trainers from Dallas were amazing.

Cons

My only issue, and it is MY issue.. is that I like to close when the store closes, and it bothers me to accept customers after closing time. I understand its good for business but I kinda feel like there's a closing time for a reason. Other than that I can say there are really no problems.

I think management should have let us keep the trainers, they were pretty cool. Also I feel like we should get wiches for $Free.99

Started great but finished poorly

Former Employee - Cashier/Food Prep and Customer Service in Cape Carteret, NC
    Former Employee - Cashier/Food Prep and Customer Service in Cape Carteret, NC

I worked at Which Wich part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The vibe is great! Fun, fast paced place to work. great to interact with the customers.

Cons

Concept Is confusing. The price is way too high. Corporate is too pushy on its promotions. The LTOs are not popular. The bag is too confusing and the print is too small.

I think the bag should be eliminated and should go towards a iPad or tablet ordering system. Use the same concept as the online ordering for a store.

Too much work for little pay

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Which Wich full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The other workers are great and are fun to wok with. You get a discount so that is nice too

Cons

Minimum pay for a lot of work. Cheap owners. Constantly having to clock out on your scheduled shift simply because they don't want to pay you.

Stop being cheap and having people clock out but makin them stay there.

It was a great place to work while it lasted.

Current Employee - Shift Manager
    Current Employee - Shift Manager

I have been working at Which Wich part-time

Pros

Flexible scheduling, fun coworkers, fast paced environment, free meals during every shift.

Cons

Management doesn't stick around for long because they are treated like crap. The pay is low. There is a high employee turnover rate.

District and corporate management needs to learn to treat the in-store managers decently.

Never Ending Issues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Which Wich part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The coworkers are great if they don't quit after a month.

Cons

Corporate does not handle complaints well or care about confidentiality and so my boss punishes us when he hears about someone making a complaint even if it to question the legality of the franchise owner's actions. Some employees hours are currently cut and will probably be fired soon because my boss found out they contacted HR about his questionable actions. Because it is a franchise, management differs which is why corporate is so important to hold franchise owners responsible for their actions. This is not the first time someone was punished for standing up for themselves or others.

There are no full time positions at my store and no benefits. There is no room to be promoted at all and getting a raise is like trying to nail jello to a tree. The food is good when the boss actually cares about food quality more than the one day we get inspected every three months. You're basically stuck doing the same work every single day.

How about handling issues instead of letting us suffer at the hands of an unfair boss.

Good food, slightly higher than minimum wage but not without rude employees, greedy supervisor, and horrible management.

Former Employee - Slicer in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Slicer in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Which Wich part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free 7 inch sandwich for every 6 hour shift (it sounds small, but it actually fills you up and it's 100x more delicious than Subway). Company strives to be the best sandwich shops in the sub-industry. It is also probably the only fast-paced sub chain, all the employees are extremely quick which makes customers more happy with the small amount of wait time. Everything that Which Wich offers is delicious and the meats are higher quality than your typical Subway sandwich.

Cons

Extremely labor intensive work if you're a slicer, it's very easy to injure yourself as a new employee as there was never any safety procedures or lessons taught when working with the slicer. Working hours are overwhelming and if you're not done with tasks like washing the dishes that are added every 20 seconds, you're not even allowed to leave at the time you're supposed to clock out. Did I mention there are absolutely NO BREAKS? It probably varies on who's your brand partner that operates the restaurants but after all the hard work you've been working for hours you're not even allowed a 5 minute break, on top of being told you still have work to do and you're not allowed to leave at the time your schedule says. There's a very poor management style, instead of just one manager supervising one restaurant, there's multiple people who are considered supervisors (not assistant managers, but actual supervisors... it doesn't make any sense), and the position higher than that is called a brand partner and they supervise multiple restaurants kind of like a district manager. Turn over rates are high, if you're not up to par with the manager's unreasonable expectations then you will be fired within 3 weeks, and even though people who are fired are usually considered non-rehirable by Which Wich's policy, the manager will usually go through the unethical route of calling the previously fired employee with more experience than you, to replace you as soon as possible. The expectations are unfair and you have no say in the position you want to work in, the hours you want to work, etc. If you have job experience only in customer service, they can decide to put you as a slicer and will assume that on the first week you'll be able to meet the goal of slicing and rolling a pan's worth of meat within 5 minutes, a pan holds about 20 rolls of meat (roast beef, chicken, pork, etc and they all have to be weighed at 3.5 oz before being rolled). It really takes about 12-15 minutes for one pan, I could never go any quicker than 10 minutes. If you're cussed at by one of the "supervisors" in front of customers, ask in a quiet and calm voice that you're concerned and want to talk in private, you'll be pointed at the doors and get yelled at like you're just talking back. There's no coping resources because almost every employee that works at Which Wich are unempathetic. Many former employees I've met have told me that brand partners don't care about the regular employees and just want to see you succeed ONLY so the brand partners can get his/her bonuses.

Be respectful to all your employees, don't ignore them when they ask to have a private conversation about our concerns during downtime. Stop playing unethical practices by hiring employees who don't meet your unrealistic expectations, nobody wants a job where they know they'll be kicked out soon when they realize that those unrealistic expectations cannot be met, hence the high turnover rate. Have you ever heard of simply just being a human? We're not perfect like you want us to be, and using obscene language against regular employees need to stop, it's against the company's rules. A lot of the times brand partners don't seem to follow the guidelines for the companies and the employees making only $7.75 an hour have to pay the price. When the clock turns to the hour where I'm supposed to leave, that means that I AM SUPPOSED TO LEAVE! There's not a good reason that you should leave your employee to work two extra hours because you don't feel like doing the dishes. When will you give us a break? (no pun intended) It's illegal to deny us a break time when we work over 6 hours a day, frequently there are employees working from open to close, 12 hours and they're not allowed even a 5 minute break, or to sit down for two minutes. Sorry Which Wich brand partners, we're not robots, we have a reason to be upset and complaining like little children because your management is that awful. Lastly, the wage is a joke for the amount of labor intensive work you do at Which Wich, please do not post a craigslist ad and falsely write that it's easy working at Which Wich because it's not!

Line Cook

I have been working at Which Wich

Pros

Great place to work for a college or high school student. Works with your schedule

Cons

monotonous and repetitive work. Be prepared to stand for 4 to 8 hours (Wear comfortable shoes).

Pretty standard job. Pay attention to who you promote to shift leader, some let a little power go to their head.

Good starting job with a few (minor) but present issues

Current Employee - General in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - General in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Which Wich full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, easy work, lax dress code and great opportunity to be yourself. I haven't had many problems at all with rude customers and people tend to be incredibly friendly here if you're friendly to them first, since it's the atmosphere. Most are incredibly considerate and I definitely count myself as one of the lucky ones to not have gotten yelled at so far.

Cons

Not many issues with employees are dealt with outright, while very friendly the gm has difficulties with conflict. Hardly any opportunities for advancement if you don't intend to continue on with the company. The owner of this particular franchise is literally the stingiest person I've ever met and tends to entact a number of policies that don't make any sense to conserve that money. You get paid very little for the amount of work that you're required to do after learning everything.

Solve the issues in upper management before trying to climb down the ladder and micro-manage everything in each independent store. Learn how to be practical /and/ conserve money for the franchise at the same time, instead of putting wealth in front of absolutely everything else.

Fun part-time job

Former Employee - Cashier/Host in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Cashier/Host in Madison, WI

I worked at Which Wich part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were awesome and I loved the management (until it all suddenly changed thanks to the owners). Work was pretty easy and the customers were always polite and patient. FOOD WAS AMAZING!

Cons

Minimum wage payment with no opportunities for raises or progression. Mostly high school aged kids working. Owners appeared kind and genuine in person, but were sleazy and lazy. Lot's of scheming behind people's backs by upper management. Upper management was very strict and gave harsh criticism to the most minor details. Always pointed out negatives, never received recognition for positive work.

Don't flip-flop managers from store-to-store and warn ALL employees before firing a great store manager and assistant..

Good company, friendlystaff, good music, easy work.

Current Employee - Manager in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Which Wich full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Flexible schedules
    -Room to move into management
    -Fun atmosphere
    -Ever-changing menu

Cons

Turnover is high
    Lots of stuff to learn. Each sandwich is a different set of rules.
    Dealing with vendors who are sometimes not on time.
    Constant cleaning

Hire good people that want to stick around a while.