Whidbey General Hospital

Updated September 25, 2014
2.4

Whidbey General Hospital Superintendent & CEO Tom Tomasino
Tom Tomasino

Cross training was essential!!!

Current Employee - CT/Radiologic Technologist in Coupeville, WA
    Current Employee - CT/Radiologic Technologist in Coupeville, WA

I have been working at Whidbey General Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great flexibility, manager promoted cross training and advanced learning

Cons

Can't complain, I learned a lot there!

Whidbey General

Former Employee - Medical Technology in Coupeville, WA
    Former Employee - Medical Technology in Coupeville, WA

I worked at Whidbey General Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is a job and supports the surrounding community. There is a huge amount of potential if managed correctly. Hopefully new management will come into the hospital to reorganize.

Cons

Very Very poor management. The entire hospital is in shambles and the community confidence is very low. They have devastated alot of people's careers and life on this small beautiful island.

Support you personnel and create a supportive environment so the patients have a good experience.

Poor management in most departments resulting in departments working against each other instead of together.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Whidbey General Hospital part-time

Pros

Convenience - only hospital on the island (besides the Naval hospital).
    Good place to gain some experience.

Cons

Many departments have poor management which results in poor communication and poor outcomes. While working here, I noticed major hostility between departments. A constant "blame game" so to speak. I brought it to my own manager's attention a couple of times, as well as had other employees... but nothing ever changed.

I was also a patient of WGH while I lived on the island, so I witnessed things from that point of view as well. I worked there for a short period of time, so I wasn't a well-known face in the departments I went in for patient visits. I actually got to witness employees complaining about the department I worked in to each other, and going as far as to tell me that something (my department) did was why they couldn't do their own job. They didn't know I was an employee which is what brought it full circle for me. There are horrible lateral relationships between departments. A facility that cannot learn to work as a whole will always struggle to keep patients as well as employees, both of which are important.

Most people I spoke with, regardless of department, were unsure if they would be happy continuing to work here.

Work together and educate other employees on the importance of strong lateral relationships. The hospital does not function because of just one department alone.

A Sinking Ship

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Whidbey General Hospital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Close to home; it's the only hospital on this rural island. If you like Kool-Aid, there is plenty of it there.

Cons

Pre-meditated, systematic hostile work environment condoned and encouraged by an administration that rewards department managers, house supervisors, and staff who agree to do administrations' bidding.

Eliminates senior staff at all costs, replacing them with less experienced employees, which equals less pay. This is a two-fold scheme: to save money and to create a cult environment that prefers to employ like-minded Machiavellians.

Administrators publicly praise and commend those who display unethical behavior toward a vulnerable population (the patients), and who violate all sensibilities by allowing abusive employees to continue working there.

Get out while you can before you are subjected to more scrutiny regarding your lack of stewardship as a public trust/district hospital.

They do not care about you

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coupeville, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coupeville, WA

I worked at Whidbey General Hospital as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very detailed orientation. Employees were helpful in answering questions you have about how a private hospital works. On call positions get a bonus.in pay in lieu of paying out for their expensive health care.

Cons

They do not care about circumstances happening to you. I was let go before I even got fully trained for my job. I had been told shape up or ship out. I shaped up, I conformed but they already had it in their mind to let me go and they refuse to let you have another chance at applying for a new position.

Have the decency to ask if there is any underlying issues going on with a perspective employee. Don't make quick judgements on how they are as an employee for a simple mistake during orientation. Remember you chose me, obviously I had the experience to do the job and You wanted Me to work for you!

Rebranding to save face

Former Employee - Transcriptionist in Coupeville, WA
    Former Employee - Transcriptionist in Coupeville, WA

I worked at Whidbey General Hospital full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This hospital is on an island and most work there because of that. Employees belong to a union, which is why they are paid decent wages.

Cons

Whidbey is run by a CEO who is overpaid. They day we were outsourced, he stopped smiling and saying hello. HR laid off transcription dept in the most unprofessional way and even tho they said we could find jobs at the hospital, there weren't any we qualified for. CEO said he didn't attend this meeting because of a sick relative. Right.
    Now I find out they don't accept my health insurance, obtained thru the affordable care act. Does that make any sense? A public hospital that doesn't accept United Healthcare Community Plan. I can go to the ED thankfully, as EMTALA forces the hospital to examine and stabilize a patient coming to the ED.
    The board of commissioners have changed their monthly meetings to start at 7:00 am instead of 6:00 pm, so most of the public probably won't attend.
    They are four million in debt and blame it on Meditech.
    Latest trouble was a nurse assaulting a patient in the ER.
    Now they think they can change the public's opinion with a rebranding?

Stop intimidating the staff. CEO is overpaid. Stop blaming Meditech for your problems. Our boss never backed us, never motivated us and never listened. Engineering never solved air quality issues in dept. No ergonomics until someone was hurt.

A company that has been going through a lot of cultural change in last several years. Clearly headed in right direction.

I have been working at Whidbey General Hospital full-time

Pros

High integrity, compassionate, skilled people providing healthcare to our community. High level of care (cancer program just won a big award, very good diagnostic imaging including breast MRI, which is unusual for a small rural hospital). Expanding programs, like hospice. Good salary and benefits (on Whidbey, that's not easy to find). Great co-workers. My boss is awesome. Flexibility in my work. Knowing this isn't just a hospital but rather an integrated network of care up and down the island. Just passed a bond for new inpatient wing and other important improvements. Patient volumes and satisfaction are increasing. This hospital will feel very different in 3-5 years. Working here I feel like I make a positive difference to the community.

Cons

Whidbey General has been inconsistent over the years in the quality of care it's provided. You'll meet one person who loves the hospital and another who would never go there again. There is too much old thinking--we've always done it a certain way, etc.

Be as open, transparent and vulnerable as possible, and when you feel like you have gone as far as you can, go a bit further.

Hostile work environment, inefficient management, terrible place for employees to thrive.

Current Employee - Laboratory Worker in Coupeville, WA
    Current Employee - Laboratory Worker in Coupeville, WA

I have been working at Whidbey General Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits and pay. Sorry cannot think of any other good reasons to work here. Almost all senior people at WGH are currently seeking employment elsewhere.

Cons

Gossip, hostile work environment, treated with disrespect and talked down to, management is inexperienced with managing people and that shows. Everyone is out for themselves, no camaraderie or real team work. No room for advancement, no quality of work.

Get bought out by a company that knows what their doing and get rid of all current administrators.

Wish there were more advancement opportunities

Current Employee - Patient Access in Coupeville, WA
    Current Employee - Patient Access in Coupeville, WA

I have been working at Whidbey General Hospital (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are very friendly. Always have training to improve customer service. Managers seem to really care what their employees feel. The CEO will speak to all employees no matter what level he or she is at. They are always looking for ways to improve the hospital.

Cons

Advancement opportunity is not really present.

provide more advancement opportunities to employees.

Ridiculously overpaid and underqualified CEO

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coupeville, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Coupeville, WA

I have been working at Whidbey General Hospital full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Close to home, that's it...

Cons

Administration is AWFUL and acts is if they are above everyone. No room for advancement. Whole environment is micromanaging. Most people (with the exception of administration and EMS) are grossly underpaid. Can't even afford health insurance for myself and my family working at a hospital for God's sake. Terrible place to work.