Whidbey General Hospital

Be The First To
Add Photos

Whidbey General Hospital Superintendent & CEO Tom Tomasino

Tom Tomasino

A company that has been going through a lot of cultural change in last several years. Clearly headed in right direction.

ProsHigh integrity, compassionate, skilled people providing healthcare to our community. High level of care (cancer program just won a big award, very good diagnostic imaging including breast MRI, which is unusual for a small rural hospital). Expanding programs, like hospice. Good salary and benefits (on Whidbey, that's not easy to find). Great co-workers. My boss is awesome. Flexibility in my work. Knowing this isn't just a hospital but rather an integrated network of care up and down the island. Just passed a bond for new inpatient wing and other important improvements. Patient volumes and satisfaction are increasing. This hospital will feel very different in 3-5 years. Working here I feel like I make a positive difference to the community.

ConsWhidbey General has been inconsistent over the years in the quality of care it's provided. You'll meet one person who loves the hospital and another who would never go there again. There is too much old thinking--we've always done it a certain way, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe as open, transparent and vulnerable as possible, and when you feel like you have gone as far as you can, go a bit further.

A Sinking Ship

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)

ProsClose to home; it's the only hospital on this rural island. If you like Kool-Aid, there is plenty of it there.

ConsPre-meditated, systematic hostile work environment condoned and encouraged by an administration that rewards department managers, house supervisors, and staff who agree to do administrations' bidding.

Eliminates senior staff at all costs, replacing them with less experienced employees, which equals less pay. This is a two-fold scheme: to save money and to create a cult environment that prefers to employ like-minded Machiavellians.

Administrators publicly praise and commend those who display unethical behavior toward a vulnerable population (the patients), and who violate all sensibilities by allowing abusive employees to continue working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out while you can before you are subjected to more scrutiny regarding your lack of stewardship as a public trust/district hospital.

They do not care about you

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Coupeville, WA

ProsVery detailed orientation. Employees were helpful in answering questions you have about how a private hospital works. On call positions get a bonus.in pay in lieu of paying out for their expensive health care.

ConsThey do not care about circumstances happening to you. I was let go before I even got fully trained for my job. I had been told shape up or ship out. I shaped up, I conformed but they already had it in their mind to let me go and they refuse to let you have another chance at applying for a new position.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the decency to ask if there is any underlying issues going on with a perspective employee. Don't make quick judgements on how they are as an employee for a simple mistake during orientation. Remember you chose me, obviously I had the experience to do the job and You wanted Me to work for you!

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rebranding to save face

Transcriptionist (Former Employee) Coupeville, WA

ProsThis hospital is on an island and most work there because of that. Employees belong to a union, which is why they are paid decent wages.

ConsWhidbey is run by a CEO who is overpaid. They day we were outsourced, he stopped smiling and saying hello. HR laid off transcription dept in the most unprofessional way and even tho they said we could find jobs at the hospital, there weren't any we qualified for. CEO said he didn't attend this meeting because of a sick relative. Right.
    Now I find out they don't accept my health insurance, obtained thru the affordable care act. Does that make any sense? A public hospital that doesn't accept United Healthcare Community Plan. I can go to the ED thankfully, as EMTALA forces the hospital to examine and stabilize a patient coming to the ED.
    The board of commissioners have changed their monthly meetings to start at 7:00 am instead of 6:00 pm, so most of the public probably won't attend.
    They are four million in debt and blame it on Meditech.
    Latest trouble was a nurse assaulting a patient in the ER.
    Now they think they can change the public's opinion with a rebranding?

Advice to Senior ManagementStop intimidating the staff. CEO is overpaid. Stop blaming Meditech for your problems. Our boss never backed us, never motivated us and never listened. Engineering never solved air quality issues in dept. No ergonomics until someone was hurt.

Hostile work environment, inefficient management, terrible place for employees to thrive.

Laboratory Worker (Current Employee) Coupeville, WA

ProsGood Benefits and pay. Sorry cannot think of any other good reasons to work here. Almost all senior people at WGH are currently seeking employment elsewhere.

ConsGossip, hostile work environment, treated with disrespect and talked down to, management is inexperienced with managing people and that shows. Everyone is out for themselves, no camaraderie or real team work. No room for advancement, no quality of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet bought out by a company that knows what their doing and get rid of all current administrators.

Wish there were more advancement opportunities

Patient Access (Current Employee) Coupeville, WA

ProsCo-workers are very friendly. Always have training to improve customer service. Managers seem to really care what their employees feel. The CEO will speak to all employees no matter what level he or she is at. They are always looking for ways to improve the hospital.

ConsAdvancement opportunity is not really present.

Advice to Senior Managementprovide more advancement opportunities to employees.

Ridiculously overpaid and underqualified CEO

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Coupeville, WA

ProsClose to home, that's it...

ConsAdministration is AWFUL and acts is if they are above everyone. No room for advancement. Whole environment is micromanaging. Most people (with the exception of administration and EMS) are grossly underpaid. Can't even afford health insurance for myself and my family working at a hospital for God's sake. Terrible place to work.

I feel I wasted my career due to lack of opportunities.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Coupeville, WA

ProsFriendly co-workers, great and knowledgable staff, M.D. and hospitalist on site, f.airly good nurse to patient ratios, small rural community

ConsDifficult to move up the career ladder , administration does not seem to care about employees, shortage of supplies to do your job, patient rooms are too small for 2 patients and therefore lack of privacy for patients, computer system is not user friendly

Advice to Senior ManagementCare more about the employees and abandon, "The good old boy" attitude. You are losing great staff and hiring people that are not the right fit for the hospital

Worked for Whidbey General Hospital? Contribute to the Community!