Whirlpool

Whirlpool Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Whirlpool Chairman and CEO Jeff M. Fettig

Jeff M. Fettig

Pros:
  • "Very interested in maintaining a good work/life balance"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Whirlpool is a great place to be in marketing or finance"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "The company doesn't support work-life balance idea - you must be prepared for overtime working"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Wish that upper management was more open to flexible work arrangements"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company but feels like continuous work in progress!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFantastic company with great people, passionate about what they do. The company makes you feel like you can drive change.

ConsAlthough people feel like they can drive change, there's a feel that there is some questionable follow-through by leadership and it felt like what is said is not what is done!

Advice to Senior ManagementLeading companies have their ups and downs and when down need to recognize and listen to the recommendations from people with their ear to the ground

Positive

Senior Engineering Manager (Current Employee)
    Benton Harbor, MI

ProsYou will grow as a manager quickly. You will learn budgeting, people management and will be empowered.

ConsPolitics and it continues to get worse and worse. It holds most people from speaking freely.

Advice to Senior ManagementOver the past years the upper management at WHR has moved to intimidation to get their way. The result is a bunch of yes men in various positions. Start encouraging and rewarding those who contribute honestly and professionally.

Lots of sheep, not many wolves

Senior Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Benton Harbor, MI

ProsDecent pay. New Facilities. Good Brands.

ConsToo process oriented. Benefits - insurance is not good.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Where good ideas go to die, but you can make a killing at killing them.

Project Engineer (Current Employee)
    Amana, IA

ProsThere are a lot of opportunities for advancement and internal development. Whirlpool is a great place to be in marketing or finance. Iowa is a lovely state and this is a great area to raise a family.

ConsA typical, political, corporate ladder climbers environment. If you are good at spin and getting other people to do what you need you can go far fast. Very task oriented work vs process oriented. Continuous improvement on the manufacturing floor gets little more than lip service and is measured in "heads" reduced. Culture is stuck in the 80's. Innovation is feared and risk is not tolerated. Poor strategy deployment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lot of opportunity left on the table by treating manufacturing facilities as contract manufacturers for the marketing organization instead of a partner.

Strong corporate values and culture continuing to move in the right direction

Benton Harbor, MI

Pros- Rebounding Industry, competitive compensation, good work/life balance, training opportunities

Cons- Locations (corporate and mfg.), HR practices, slow moving

The grass is always greener on the other side

Marketing Director (Current Employee)
    Benton Harbor, MI

ProsStill a solid global player driving good business results through scale and muscle. The recent changes in working culture have helped create a better environment despite a cut-throat management culture. Good values and still a decent culture.

ConsMoving too slow to keep up with competition - hard to believe the strategy will hold in the long run. If you are not in the inner circle no chance to move up.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange from a "who knows you" to a "real results-based, values oriented" talent management system. Share the wealth with employees.

A good place to work

Project Engineer (Former Employee)
    Benton Harbor, MI

ProsThey did a good job respecting work-life balance, The location of the tech center was a short walk to Lake Michigan

ConsI had a long drive because I chose not to relocated to Benton Harbor. The working environment depends on the manager. The first manager I had was great. The second drove me out.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful of who you choose for middle managers. They make or break (in my case) the workforce.

Fearful of Truth

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

Pros100 year old company with many brands.

ConsThey do not want to hear the truth. They are quick to react toward those speaking their mind and being truthful, and it is not a positive outcome for the individual. Anyone with knowledge and skills are the first ones they look at when they are financially challenged, which is about every three years. Additionally, they love to recruit and hire right out of college. These individuals are made to believe that they will be sitting in a nice office in short time. They do not let these young people learn and grow; they just promote them to silence them.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not promote your new recruits so quickly. Do not put individuals in managerial positions when they do not have the necessary skills.

challenging environment and culture

Category Manager (Current Employee)
    Benton Harbor, MI

ProsNew product launches and emerging market

Consspeed and agility to launch

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak silo's, be agile and faster to launch product and to out perform the competition and provide quality that meets customer expectations without any complaints

Great Company

IT Lead Analyst (Current Employee)

Pros100 year old company lots of investment and evolution in IT

ConsHard to advance. Not a lot of professional growth oppertunity for SR individual contributors

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease opportunities for career advancement

Worked for Whirlpool? Contribute to the Community!

Whirlpool Videos

Whirlpool – Why Work for Us?

We’re the largest global home appliance manufacturer in the world, but we’re still just a small town company in our hearts. We create products that make millions of people’s lives easier every day, and we’re committed… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Whirlpool reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Whirlpool CEO Jeff M. Fettig. All 383 reviews posted anonymously by Whirlpool employees.