Whirlpool Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.5

Whirlpool Chairman and CEO Jeff M. Fettig
Jeff M. Fettig

Pros
  • In general, the work-life balance is above average compared to other large companies (in 26 reviews)

• Whirlpool is a great place to be in marketing or finance (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance except for those who are part of the inner circle of cronies (in 16 reviews)

• Wish that upper management was more open to flexible work arrangements (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of sheep, not many wolves

Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager  in  Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Decent pay. New Facilities. Good Brands.

Cons

Too process oriented. Benefits - insurance is not good.

Where good ideas go to die, but you can make a killing at killing them.

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Amana, IA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Amana, IA

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities for advancement and internal development. Whirlpool is a great place to be in marketing or finance. Iowa is a lovely state and this is a great area to raise a family.

Cons

A typical, political, corporate ladder climbers environment. If you are good at spin and getting other people to do what you need you can go far fast. Very task oriented work vs process oriented. Continuous improvement on the manufacturing floor gets little more than lip service and is measured in "heads" reduced. Culture is stuck in the 80's. Innovation is feared and risk is not tolerated. Poor strategy deployment.

There is a lot of opportunity left on the table by treating manufacturing facilities as contract manufacturers for the marketing organization instead of a partner.

challenging environment and culture

Current Employee - Category Manager  in  Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Category Manager in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

New product launches and emerging market

Cons

speed and agility to launch

Break silo's, be agile and faster to launch product and to out perform the competition and provide quality that meets customer expectations without any complaints

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Current Employee - IT Lead Analyst  in  Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - IT Lead Analyst in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

100 year old company lots of investment and evolution in IT

Cons

Hard to advance. Not a lot of professional growth oppertunity for SR individual contributors

Increase opportunities for career advancement

Fearful of Truth

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Whirlpool full-time

Pros

100 year old company with many brands.

Cons

They do not want to hear the truth. They are quick to react toward those speaking their mind and being truthful, and it is not a positive outcome for the individual. Anyone with knowledge and skills are the first ones they look at when they are financially challenged, which is about every three years. Additionally, they love to recruit and hire right out of college. These individuals are made to believe that they will be sitting in a nice office in short time. They do not let these young people learn and grow; they just promote them to silence them.

Do not promote your new recruits so quickly. Do not put individuals in managerial positions when they do not have the necessary skills.

Good Company for a Large Company

I worked at Whirlpool

Pros

Change, stability, competitive, brands, opportunity

Cons

Slow making decisions, good ole boy system

Good company Values, especially for such a large organization

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stability, long term job potential. Leadership is trying to unite entire organization, As a whole they are trying to be a leader in everything they do.

Cons

Many Corporate projects have too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. Although it is being worked on- there are still a lot of separate "companies" under the Whirlpool Umbrella with limited communication

Ensure that projects that are for one division (i.e. Finance) is communicated with others (Service and Sales) so that Whirlpool can give the feeling of a united front to customers, investors, and competitors

interesting work

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

lots of free training. good pay and benefits , friendly people.

Cons

long hours, travel to factories from design center. large workload. people shift positions every year so it's hard to build up expertise. Headquarters town is highly racially divided. Life is good for corporate folks but not so much for other people.

hire more people to get better quality work. Reduce playing of musical chairs with job positions for people. Otherwise, keep up the emphasis on lean, OpEx and other initiatives.

Whirlpool - Corporate Headquarters

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Benton Harbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Benton Harbor, MI

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The work-life balance at Whirlpool is great and the pay is good. Leaders are flexible regarding family needs, illness, etc. There is a lot of opportunity to move within the company, both within your job function and into other business areas. The work is interesting and I enjoy working for a company that produces the vast majority of product they sell in the U.S., in the U.S.

Cons

Corporate headquarters is in a small town, if your spouse also works there is not much opportunity here for them. During my interview process, Whirlpool touted that they have many employees whose spouses also work at Whirlpool, talked about how they help spouses, and stated there would be great opportunities for my spouse. Once I was here, they have done nothing to help my spouse get a job. My spouse is even willing to change careers or take a step down, to get a foot in the door and contribute income to the family. My spouse never even makes it past the "rejected by outsourced recruiting company based on resume without even a call" stage. Make sure you both have a job offer before you move here. I will probably end up moving eventually so that my spouse can contribute income to the family, too. I wish I didn't have to, because I really love my job and the opportunities for me are great. But, we need two incomes long term. I understand each hiring manager wants the perfect fit, and I was naive in believing the puffing from HR during the interview process. Also, annual raises are less than the increase in the cost of living. Housing and food costs in the area are high. Company is very concerned about local community relations and supporting local businesses, so they don't put fitness centers or child care centers onsite as amenities for employees (although they have a "culture of health").

Good company to start your career with but difficult to stay with long term

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good company culture, "no wrong way to do a right thing". HQ is in SW Michigan which is a tough place to attract talent from around the country. Most employees there hail from that part of the country and don't mind the lack of a big city and cold winters but outsiders resist moving there.

Cons

slow to innovate and keep up with challenging competition at times. Top level leadership is still a good old boys club if you look around despite existing in an industry where customers are primarily women.

Recruit from outside the SW Michigan, Ohio, Indiana area and diversify the workforce.

Worked for Whirlpool? Contribute to the Community!