Whirlpool

Whirlpool Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Whirlpool Chairman and CEO Jeff M. Fettig

Jeff M. Fettig

Pros
  • In general, the work-life balance is above average compared to other large companies (in 26 reviews)

• Whirlpool is a great place to be in marketing or finance (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance except for those who are part of the inner circle of cronies (in 16 reviews)

• Wish that upper management was more open to flexible work arrangements (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Senior Global Director, implementing large scale apps dev, network eng, and end user computing programs, globally.

Global Senior Director - Global Business Solutions (Former Employee) Benton Harbor, MI

ProsGlobal program management opportunities, tremendous individual skills growth opportunities.

Cons"Mom and Pop" feel, Vs Corporate Industry Leader. Both advantageous, and disadvantageous, depending on your level and role within the firm.

fair company

ProsThe company is fair and ethically run. Management wants to see you succeed and will help you to succeed.

ConsIf you are in sales you will need to be open to moving and to grow much with the company you will need to be open to move to Michigan

Great Place to work

Sourcing Specialist (Former Employee) Benton Harbor, MI

ProsCompetitive salary, relaxed atmosphere, friendly people

ConsSmall town, sometimes expectations are not clear

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company, Great People!

Market Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe people at Whirlpool are awesome. The Corporate HQ is based in Michigan and reflect great Midwestern values. I have had 4 managers since being hired and they were all fantastic leaders. Very interested in maintaining a good work/life balance.

ConsNot sure Corporate understands what is actually happening in the marketplace. Sometimes they put inexperienced people in key positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work but pay a little more attention to the "foot soldiers".

It was a great experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Saint Joseph, MI

ProsGreat company culture and intern program. Good place to build a career

ConsBenton Harbor/ St. Joseph area is very small and there's not much there apart from Whirlpool

Wasted 27 yrs of my life

Assembler (Former Employee) Fort Smith, AR

ProsThe pay and hours were good when I started. Meet some of the best people I ever worked with.

ConsThe company only cares about the profit, not about the employees. They started making us work every Saturday of the month with only 1 weekend off. They offer insurance for the employees but it doesn't pay anything towards the bill. Was told by a employee at the dentist office that Whirlpool's dental was the worst they had ever seen.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some classes on people skills & ethics. And start treating your employees better. Because without them you wouldn't have a job or the BIG bonuses.

Company is performing well now, but red tape continues to hold back top performers

Sourcing Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsThe culture is relaxed with a great work/life balance. The pay is competitive and the bonus for the last two years has been great.

ConsHR continues to hold top performers back ensuring their pay does not exceed their salary bands. This creates little incentive to perform well from a salary perspective, when your merit increase is larger than your promotion salary increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the people you've hired do their job. There is no reason a director should be signing $1M contracts when you're a $20B company! Look outside of corporate headquarters for talent and continue to push for solutions to allow global connectivity.

Good company but many issues

Director (Former Employee)

ProsGreat career advancement opportunities but paid a price for it. Fortunate to have some bright and cutting edge bosses who helped me advance quite far in a short period of time. I learned a tremendous amount during my 8 years there and had some memorable experiences.

ConsNasty office politics with fighting among departments. Me first attitude among senior execs rather than team first. Borderline unethical quarter-end pushes that never end.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow people to make mistakes without compromising their career. I saw way too many good people lose their career for taking a risk. Fix the fighting among departments as it kills the underlying team's morale. Stop the quarter-end pushes. It is a great company if you are fortunate enough to hitch your wagon to a star but life is miserable if you are unlucky and have boss who is not a star.

LDP program

ProsGood exposure to the leadership. Business oriented experience. Travel to international locations.

ConsSmaller area of location. Not good if you are a young person who likes to hang out with friends. Relationship based company and too old school in many ways.

Great place to work

ProsLots of room for advancement, lot of good people

ConsToo big, one department doesn't know what the other is doing.Poor performance rating system. Upper management does not promote from within.

Advice to Senior Managementpromote from within and rework performance rating system

Worked for Whirlpool? Contribute to the Community!